Gene Okerlund Discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I was going to do this ages ago, but never got around to it. He's an aquired taste old Gene. Some think he's a cheesey old relic who got himself over at the stars expense. Some see him for being someone who can light the product up with his used car salesman style act. I for one think he's the best. Funny as fuck, under rated at putting people over with his shocked expressions at even the shittest insult. When Gene's face hit the camera he bought an instant colour to the broadcast. Big part of the mid-80s WWF as well. I cant think of a time Okerlund never entertained me. He was light a time bomb. You just expected him to say something about a woman's tits in the crowd. And usually did in WCW. So much so, they made a storyline out of it where he was fucking Pamela Paulshock and checking out the women's clevage during interviews. His old perv act was all to believable. Even now, he's the best host in the company.

Watch this before answering:

• Paid Members
When Gene's face hit the camera he brought an instant colour to the broadcast.

Yeah, orange! :laugh:

Seriously though, he was well before my time but from old tapes and clips and stuff I think he's great. Definitely has something backstage interviewers these days don't.

• Paid Members

I used to love his on the Ramp interviews on Nitro really gave the show a different feel, Nitro had everything around that time was fantastic. One of the things that really helped Gene and his longevity I imagine was that he had great chemistry with all the top stars, particularly the likes of Hogan, Flair, Savage etc he's like the grandad of wrestling

• Paid Members

EDIT: baz beat me to it.

I didn't know there was hate for Scheme Gene. He was like your mates cool Grandad. You compare him to Matt Stryker or Josh Matthews and you realise how great he was at his job. He was good at making even the most mental drugged up, rambling promo seem like it meant something with his little looks and little speaking bit at the end.

• Paid Members

Gene and Alfred Hayes corpsing at a supposedly unfunny stand up act by Fuji and Don Muraco. Probably my favourite ever wrestling clip. One of those "real funny" and not "wrestling funny" moments. Muraco, Fuji and Okerlund are amazing. Fuji's playing Muraco's straight man is especially funny, because there's no subtly about him. "HOW BOOTIFUL ARE DAY?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWya6LwSX0

I love Mean Gene, laughed like fuck at all those links. He reminds me of Bruce Forsythe or someone like that, one of those 'national treasure' type blokes who make you smile just at the sight of them on TV. He's never aged a day in twenty-odd years of watching him, either, as is always the case with middle-aged blokes with leathery skin.

EDIT: Whenever Skinner or Baddiel dressed up as Willie Thorne on Fantasy Football League, I always thought it looked more like Gene.

• Paid Members

Mean "WHOOOOO!!!! My God...." Gene is an absolute institution. His interactions with a variety of luminaries such as The Hulkster, Jake the Snake and Ric Flair added extra sparkle to so many interviews and shows. Mean Gene was as big a part of Hulkamania-Era WWF as the red white and blue ropes, the old SummerSlam / Rumble themes, Monsoon & Gorilla calling the fun and all the rest.

I always thought Gene came across as warm and likeable, except when he was cringing at the disgraceful actions or comments of a despicable heel. As mentioned some of Gene's genius was reacting to the words of others.

Gene also carved out a decent run in WcW, peering off pensively as he tried to make head or tails of whatever Savage was babbling out, appealing to the "board of directors" to do something about the latest atrocity, or best of all as a vital ingredient in a 1996 Horsemen interview. "Unhand me Woman!" and so on. Plus personally I feel he added an extra touch of fun to any Flair promo. He also adds an air of authenticity to Vintage.

"MEAAAAAAAAAN..... WHOO!! MY GOD.... GENE!!!! WE ARE IN ATLANTAAAAAAAA... GEEEEORGIA!!! WHOOOOO!!!!"

147873170_2712.jpg

And of course.... some vids for your delectation.

FUCK IT!!!

Bona fide sicko!

As if you wouldn't, slag.

Couldn't have said it better.

EDIT - one or two of those vids were posted while I was typing. NEVER MIND.

• Moderators
Gene and Alfred Hayes corpsing at a supposedly unfunny stand up act by Fuji and Don Muraco. Probably my favourite ever wrestling clip. One of those "real funny" and not "wrestling funny" moments. Muraco, Fuji and Okerlund are amazing. Fuji's playing Muraco's straight man is especially funny, because there's no subtly about him. "HOW BOOTIFUL ARE DAY?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWya6LwSX0

I had to watch that three times in a row. Muraco's total lack of comic timing is amazing, and the reaction by Lord Alfred and Gene to Fuji's "tropical stuff" is a fucking joy.

Archived