Gene Okerlund Discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

I've never heard anyone bad mouth Gene, except the wwf with the scheme gene skits but that was just a laugh.

I think he adds so much to what he does. He is a real legend and I'm glad he's still going. Vintage is one of my fav shows. His tribute edition to Macho Man was quite touching I thought, especially at the end.

Was there for him going in the Hall of Fame and he was cracking there as well.

• Paid Members
Gene and Alfred Hayes corpsing at a supposedly unfunny stand up act by Fuji and Don Muraco. Probably my favourite ever wrestling clip. One of those "real funny" and not "wrestling funny" moments. Muraco, Fuji and Okerlund are amazing. Fuji's playing Muraco's straight man is especially funny, because there's no subtly about him. "HOW BOOTIFUL ARE DAY?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWya6LwSX0

"HOW BOUT SOME TROPICAL STUFF"

Marvellous.

I love Gene, he is so synonymous with the WWF that I began watching. Plus his voice is just fucking wonderful for his job, great look to him as well and underated when it came to quick wit. Not the best announcer though, never seemed to be his thing.

Amazingly he's only 68, which means he will probably be on tv for another decade.

It also means that at the Bash At The Beach he was only in his early 50s.

• Paid Members

A voice and persona of sanity amongst all the crazy, wacky and downright mental world of wrestling. He brought integrity to the broadcasts and just had a certain authority about him which made him seem so credible. He was every bit as important as the wrestler which he'd be interviewing, yet because of his manner he'd do it with such ease you wouldn't even notice it, as it should be.

By all accounts a lovely guy as well, always comes across as a real gentleman and with some great stories. Top professional, top man.

Archived