UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

for ajmcstyles...

"There's only going to be one fight. Heavyweight championship fight is the only fight that's going to be on Fox. (Even if) it goes 10 seconds. There's going to be a lot of breaking down the fight, features, going backstage. This is probably the first time we've ever done this I think, if we did we did it a long time ago, an interview with the guys before they come out. It's going to be a completely different format than we've ever done before."

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
for ajmcstyles...

"There's only going to be one fight. Heavyweight championship fight is the only fight that's going to be on Fox. (Even if) it goes 10 seconds. There's going to be a lot of breaking down the fight, features, going backstage. This is probably the first time we've ever done this I think, if we did we did it a long time ago, an interview with the guys before they come out. It's going to be a completely different format than we've ever done before."

That's definitely going to legitimize it in the eyes of the general public. All other sports have crazy levels of post-event analysis, whereas the UFC is just "HELLO, HERE ARE FIGHTS, GOODBYE"

• Paid Members

Definitely, I love punditry like this & the more stats the better, I was always a fan of how Strikeforce did it. The idea of having a panel of pundits in a studio looking at past performances, strengths/weaknesses etc then 'lets go down to Mike & Joe at the octagon' would be amazing & would also help the new, casual audience they want to attract gen-up on the sport pretty quick.

Is there any news if the 'gladiator intro' is getting scrapped?

• Paid Members
I'd shit myself with excitement if they show the newest Baba O'Reily video as the opening. I loves it.

Likewise, I get goosebumps watching the video. When it plays live at the events it's nothing short of amazing. It'd be an excellent opening vid for their new programming.

Definitely, I love punditry like this & the more stats the better, I was always a fan of how Strikeforce did it. The idea of having a panel of pundits in a studio looking at past performances, strengths/weaknesses etc then 'lets go down to Mike & Joe at the octagon' would be amazing & would also help the new, casual audience they want to attract gen-up on the sport pretty quick.

Is there any news if the 'gladiator intro' is getting scrapped?

I hated how Strikeforce did it, I realise its an advantage for new fans but usually its just stuff stating the obvious or rehashed speeches they've said time and time again. I'm very much of the mindset of 'why waste time with this when the fight could already be starting'.

Don't get me wrong, when done properly (and I'm sure UFC will pull it off) it can be very good and make you count down the seconds to the fight - just like old boxing broadcasts.

And yes, they said they were getting rid of the 'Gladiator' intro. They said that the day the Fox deal got announced.

• Paid Members

im not a fan of that stuff either, i can see why its there but i hate when promotions do 'submission breakdowns', and all that kind of stuff. I hate compustrike numbers too, it all feels irrelevant breaking stuff down through numbers, more often than not the number dont really reflect what went down in a bout. Again, i see 100% why they do it, im just saying i don't like it.

Thinking about it though, the UFC has slowly been adding more stuff recently. They are doing them 'most strikes landed in the octagon' things now and roll out all kinds of little tidbits, probably a pre-cursor of what we'll see.

• Paid Members
I hated how Strikeforce did it, I realise its an advantage for new fans but usually its just stuff stating the obvious or rehashed speeches they've said time and time again. I'm very much of the mindset of 'why waste time with this when the fight could already be starting'.

In fairness, 99% of all sports punditry is guilty of this if you analyse it that extent. If you were to pull up sports presenters for stating the obvious & using clich

• Paid Members
If you knew that you where going to show only the Cain/Dos Santos match you could have put the LW match on this weekends show. Then us Brits might have thought that the UFC still actually cared about the UK market!

I posted something similar to that in the 138 thread. Deffo agree with that and not just because i'm going to the show :D At least the fight would have been televised then and 138 would have got the 'names' fight people were bitching about it lacking.

A main card of....

Leben vs Munoz

Guida vs Henderson

Pickett vs Barao

Alves vs Abedi

Etim vs Faaloloto

...looks great to me. I'm still looking forward to Saturday but that one fight added would have made all the difference taking it from a solid main card to a pretty fucking sweet Spike show.

I'll be facebooking the prelims anyway for this so it's not like i'm gonna miss the fight but it's a shame it's not getting a wider audience. I mean really, how many people outside us harcores even bother streaming the prelims?

• Paid Members
Don't get me wrong, when done properly (and I'm sure UFC will pull it off) it can be very good and make you count down the seconds to the fight - just like old boxing broadcasts.

Yeah if they get it right some studio stuff could be great. I can see good and bad with this.

I love looking back at the old boxing shows which they did this with but I dunno, I'd rather they keep that brief and air as much action as they can. Even if you look at the HBO boxing shows they don't really do the studio stuff. They usually just open up with Lampley, Merchant, Steward or whoever talking up the fights and all that like Goldy and Rogan do. I like that format more than a tarted up version of MMA Live taking up a ton of time at the expense of good fights getting shown.

Fuck knows. Maybe they'll just go with a studio heavy show this time because it's an introduction on a new station. Maybe the future FOX stuff will include some prelims?

And yes, they said they were getting rid of the 'Gladiator' intro. They said that the day the Fox deal got announced.

Is this just gonna apply to the FOX shows or are they going with a new intro for all their shows from the FOX debut onwards? I think the screaming 'RIPPING ME INTO PIEEEEE--CES' intro ran it's course a long time ago to be honest. I see why they went with it back in 2002 or whenever but times change, they're on a big station now and it's time to move on imo. Just personal taste but I'd like to see them change that to something more sporty and less...well shit.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Gladiator into with the nu-metal score worked well for what they were hoping to achieve but doesn't exactly scream 'professional sporting organisation'. Stu has me convinced that the 'Baba O Reilly' intro is the way forward.

• Paid Members

There's nothing like it. It's not in your face like 'Bring the pain' and it covers some quality moments from the sport whilst showcasing alot of the guys. That Hughes/Trigg moment is fucking lovely.

"Welcome to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, world."

Fingers crossed.

Archived