UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

the UFC intro still gets me going, but there's no doubt that it's out of date.

I'm expecting more of an intro similar to how Strikeforce do it, it's hard to explain, but go watch an intro to a Strikeforce Showtime broadcast and thats what im expecting.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Yeah, the Gladiator into with the nu-metal score worked well for what they were hoping to achieve but doesn't exactly scream 'professional sporting organisation'. Stu has me convinced that the 'Baba O Reilly' intro is the way forward.

as a introduction to the promotion, it would be perfect. Play that, then cut to the start of the broadcast.

• Paid Members

Yeah, for new fans tuning in that intro would be perfect. How could they not get pumped up by the clips of Forrest and Bonnar and Liddell and Wanderlei going to war?

If they showed that as an intro to the sport type thing, then a quick highlight package of Cain and JDS wrecking folks to some scary sounding music (I'm thinking of something like the music on the God of War games for some reason :) ) that would be immense.

Then cut to the studio or cageside or whatever and Dana and the Fertitta's giving a quick speech and then on with the show, build up, Rogan and Goldy and all that shit.

That's the sort of thing I'd like to see. Fuck, I wanna see it now.

• Paid Members
There was talk a few months ago that the Gladiator opening would be gone.

I'd shit myself with excitement if they show the newest Baba O'Reily video as the opening. I loves it.

Click

That montage set to "Baba O'Reilly" is nothing short of amazing. Fantastic stuff.

Sadly, they can't use Baba O'Riley on TV due to CSI supposedly having exclusive TV rights to it for the past few years. That was the reasoning given by Mike Goldberg at a Q&A session sometime last year.

And yes, they said they were getting rid of the 'Gladiator' intro. They said that the day the Fox deal got announced.

Is this just gonna apply to the FOX shows or are they going with a new intro for all their shows from the FOX debut onwards? I think the screaming 'RIPPING ME INTO PIEEEEE--CES' intro ran it's course a long time ago to be honest. I see why they went with it back in 2002 or whenever but times change, they're on a big station now and it's time to move on imo. Just personal taste but I'd like to see them change that to something more sporty and less...well shit.

Yeah its gonna be gone entirely, UFC 138 will be the last time you'll see it.

Even TUF (obviously not this season) will be getting a revamp in terms of intro and production.

I can't stand the typical UFC intro but I do have a soft spot for the TUF one. Having watched that Baba O'Reilly video, it makes me wonder how often they change it; I've seen it twice live and both times it was different and there it was different again. For something that only those in attendance will see, they put a lot of work into it.

Clay Guida's manager has said it is Fox who insisted on having just the Cain/JDS fight on the main card, not UFC. According to him, Fox don't think Henderson or Guida have what it takes to draw viewers.

If true then the people who made that decision are completely clueless.

The actual fight on Fox maybe the toughest to call fight of the year.

Right now I am leaning towards Dos Santos, due to the takedown defence and actual takedowns he applied in the Shane Carwin fight. However Cain maybe on another level with his wrestling, it is hard to say.

Dos Santos cardio is also a question mark, the only thing I am convinced of is that if it turns into a bxong match Dos Santos can and will knock Cain out or get the better of the exchanges. If Cain can survive early and wait until Dos Santos runs out of gas he could sneak a points win, but for now I am leaning towards JDS becoming champion.

just read that Jon Anik is on announcement duty for the International broadcasts of the Fox show, so does this mean he'll be commentating on the feed we get in the UK?

For this show? Cause I read that the first show he'll be doing is on January 20th.

I've seen no mention about him doing commentary on the actual Fox shows, just the ones on FX & Fuel TV. As far as I know he isn't doing anything for this show.

• Paid Members

I really hope so. I'm a big fan of Anik, and was delighted to hear he'd gotten a permanent gig with the UFC. I really think he'll help bring an air of legitimacy to the broadcasts. As huge a fan as i am, it took me three of four years of watching the sport to realise that the fight i was watching was panning out differently to the one i was listening to given Goldberg and Rogan's championing of certain fighters during bouts.

Heres the 8 hour line-up that Fox are putting out on the day of the show, impressive to say the least:

Saturday, Nov. 12:

3:00 p.m. ET -- Cain Velasquez: Brown Pride, episodes 1-3 on FOX Deportes

4:45 p.m. ET -- UFC on FOX prelims live on Facebook and FOXSports.com

5:30 p.m. ET -- Weigh-ins re-air on FUEL TV

6:00 p.m. ET -- UFC Primetime re-air on FUEL TV

6:00 p.m. ET -- Re-air of Cain Velasquez vs. Brock Lesnar on FOX Deportes

7:00 p.m. ET -- UFC prelims live on FOX Deportes

7:00 p.m. ET -- Pre-fight show on FUEL TV, hosted by Jay Glazer, along with Kenny Florian and Stephan Bonnar

9:00 p.m. ET -- UFC on FOX broadcast, hosted by Curt Menefee, along with Dana White, Brock Lesnar and Joe Rogan. Mike Goldberg and Rogan will call the heavyweight title fight.

10 p.m. ET -- UFC on FOX post-fight show on FUEL TV, hosted by Glazer, along with Florian and Bonnar

In addition, FOX Sports Radio will air five hours live coverage on Nov. 12, which will include pre-fight analysis, the call of the heavyweight title fight and a post-fight show hosted by MMA journalist Larry Pepe.

Lesnar being the guest analyst for it should be awesome.

Also, I think this is the first time ever a UFC fight will be broadcast live on national radio! Makes me think of all the great radio broadcasts of the old big boxing fights.

• Paid Members

Apologies if it's been posted/answered before but does this mean that on UFC PPV's going forward there'll be an hour or so of in-studio punditry on Fox prior to broadcast & an hour afterwards? Equating to 5 hours of programming for each normal 3hr PPV? Or will the pre-show & prelim fights be on Fox as part of the aforementioned in-studio preshow? I really like the sound of this.

• Paid Members
just read that Jon Anik is on announcement duty for the International broadcasts of the Fox show, so does this mean he'll be commentating on the feed we get in the UK?

For this show? Cause I read that the first show he'll be doing is on January 20th.

I've seen no mention about him doing commentary on the actual Fox shows, just the ones on FX & Fuel TV. As far as I know he isn't doing anything for this show.

from MMAjunkie

According to Anik, UFC officials told him his booth partner will be either a past or present UFC fighter.

The UFC introduced Anik as its newest commentator this past week. The longtime host of ESPN's weekly "MMA Live" show will be part of a second broadcasting team to complement the current "A team" of Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan. The B team will handle UFC Fight Night and The Ultimate Fighter Finale shows, and the duo also will be involved in the live episodes of "The Ultimate Fighter" that debut next year on FX.

Additionally, Anik will host "Ultimate Insider," a weekly news-magazine show that debuts next year on FUEL TV.

As host of "MMA Live," Anik worked with the likes of fighter-broadcasters Kenny Florian, Stephan Bonnar, Rashad Evans, Pat Miletich, Frank Mir, Miguel Torres and others.

He said he'd be thrilled to work with any of them, but admittedly, he and Florian have developed a bond during their time together on "MMA Live."

"We'll see what happens," said Anik, who recently relocated to Las Vegas to work from the UFC's headquarters. "It'd be great to work with K-Flo. We know a lot about each other, and we have that chemistry already.

"I'm looking forward to working with one of the best UFC fighters, whoever it is past or present."

Viewers can get their first look at Anik during next week's landmark UFC on FOX 1 event. Anik is hosting the international broadcasts (Goldberg and Rogan will handle the play-by-play duties on FOX in the U.S.). But Anik, who was Bellator's original English-language play-by-play man, said he'll likely appear on the U.S. broadcast in some form next week.

With his final "MMA Live" broadcast now behind him, Anik now awaits his UFC debut. But as for his eventual booth mate, he's eager as anyone to get a name.

"I'm just really anxious to hear who it is," he said.

• Paid Members

"According to Anik, UFC officials told him his booth partner will be either a past or present UFC fighter."

That will be Kenny Florian or Frank Mir then?

Archived