UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

I'll miss the Gladiator opening, although you can understand why it has to go.

On Fox, they've GOT to open with The Who's Baba O'Reilly montage video, it covers UFC perfectly to me. Mic'ing and getting the crowd audio is key too, to help get it across as big time.

JDS Vs Cain is the perfect ME for the show, the general public like heavyweights, and they're getting them.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i think the real sport thing is right, MMA is kinda presented in a pro wrestling kinda way. It's partly the reason many people are drawn to it, but im sure it does put alot of mainstream time people off. I actually think the whole thing will be presented more like a big boxing event rather than an MMA show. I'm looking foward to seeing how they do it.

I remember the first time i saw MMA live i thought it was great because it showed MMA as more a real sport rather than the culty thing it's always been regarded as, if that makes sense.

• Paid Members
Is there any chance UFC could get this on Channel 5 to give it a big audience in the UK as well? What time will it be on at over here? 2am?

They could do, 5 must be in the running with the deal they have to air UFC programming. Only thing is they've never shown live UFC so maybe that's not in the contract.

Other options would be Premier Sports (which showed Hardy vs Lytle) or FX which is a FOX owned station.

They could do, 5 must be in the running with the deal they have to air UFC programming. Only thing is they've never shown live UFC so maybe that's not in the contract.

Other options would be Premier Sports (which showed Hardy vs Lytle) or FX which is a FOX owned station.

Sky would also obviously be a likely place for it to go when the contract is up for renewal later next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a similar deal to the WWE where we get some events free and some on PPV.

• Paid Members
Sky would also obviously be a likely place for it to go when the contract is up for renewal later next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a similar deal to the WWE where we get some events free and some on PPV.

I think Sky would snap it straight up. If the researchers are worth their salt, they must know how big UFC is getting. It is actually a massive entity now, BUT it has lacked that big time promotion.

In terms of live events, they are huge, they pull in huge crowds considering how pricey tickets can get. Does anyone have any idea what UFC do in terms of buy rates on an average? Out of curiosity, what has been the biggest UFC buy rate this year compared to WWE? Obviosuly WWE is on sky sports, if UFC is in a similar ball park or greater, how could Sky pass is by?

Anyway, its going to be brilliant, iv'e never fallen out with UFC, i've always had an interest since UFC 4, not a die hard fan, but i do enjoy it. Gotten back in to it more so over the last year and this potential revamp will do it the world of good.

I don't think it needs intro music as such, if its presented like a 'friday night fight live' style prog, it will cut from the studio straight to the commentators, with the only music being the ad breaks generic tv station theme.

Anyway, cant wait to see where it all goes.

I think Sky would snap it straight up. If the researchers are worth their salt, they must know how big UFC is getting. It is actually a massive entity now, BUT it has lacked that big time promotion.

In terms of live events, they are huge, they pull in huge crowds considering how pricey tickets can get. Does anyone have any idea what UFC do in terms of buy rates on an average? Out of curiosity, what has been the biggest UFC buy rate this year compared to WWE? Obviosuly WWE is on sky sports, if UFC is in a similar ball park or greater, how could Sky pass is by?

Anyway, its going to be brilliant, iv'e never fallen out with UFC, i've always had an interest since UFC 4, not a die hard fan, but i do enjoy it. Gotten back in to it more so over the last year and this potential revamp will do it the world of good.

I don't think it needs intro music as such, if its presented like a 'friday night fight live' style prog, it will cut from the studio straight to the commentators, with the only music being the ad breaks generic tv station theme.

Anyway, cant wait to see where it all goes.

UFC blows WWE away in terms of buy rates for PPV's. Wrestlemania and UFC's top PPV of the year is usually close, but on average the UFC PPV buys are much higher.

As an example here's the top ten PPV's buys of 2010:

1. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley, May 1, 1.4 million buys

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, Nov. 13, 1,150,000 buys

3. UFC 116: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, July 3, 1,100,000 buys

4. UFC 114: Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans, May 29, 1,050,000 buys

5. UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez, Oct. 23, 1,000,000 buys

6.Wrestlemania 26 885,000 buys

7. UFC 124: Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck, Dec. 11, 785,000 buys

8. UFC 111: St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy, March 27, 770,000 buys

9. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey, March 13, 700,000 buys

10. UFC 107: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, Aug. 7, 600,000 buys

• Paid Members

Yeah it's bound to end up on Sky eventually. I can see it like that too with some UFC's being on Box Office and the rest on Sky Sports.

For now though, the ESPN deal runs till next summer I think so these FOX/Versus shows will have to be on channels like 5,Premier or maybe FX. As soon as the ESPN deal is through you can bet they will be trying to get on Sky.

Archived