UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
I think the whole UFC thing is a bit samey. Not just the production and the rent-a-quote commentary but the whole format. The trash talk, the fighters, etc. It almost feels the same on every PPV. I don't feel like there are enough different characters, especially the newer fighters, they all feel the same. I'm not buying into it at the moment, haven't for the past year or so.

I'm not sure what you mean. Your post reads like there's a format for trash talking with fights. To say there are no characters and everyone acts the same too? You can't be watching much if you feel that way. The way you wrote that really does sound like your talking about a Wrestling show. Not MMA.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm not sure what you mean. Your post reads like there's a format for trash talking with a fights. To say there are no characters and everyone acts the same too? You can't be watching much if you feel that way. The way you wrote that really does sound like your talking about a Wrestling show. Not MMA.

I think the whole thing feels very formulaic. Even to the point where most of the trash talk feels the same for almost every under card fight. I think the whole thing could do with a freshening up.

UFC do big fights brilliantly, I'd like more reason to care about some of the other fights on the PPV. Perhaps my fault for not watching all the countdown shows and shit but I don't have the chance to. I think they could break from the formula with the two guys popping out some cliche sound bytes which comes along with the whole gladiator theme at the moment. Perhaps live interviews, video packages or something different.

• Paid Members

i can understand it if you're someone who just watches the shows. It's when you follow MMA on a daily basis where you'll learn about the fighters, their characters, how they are and stuff and that's what keeps me interested. If you're just gonna tune in for the shows it probably could come across as samey, cause at the end of the day it's a fight show and there's only so many ways you can promote a fight. Try to go outside of the box a little and watch the weekly news shows, check on some daily websites etc.

I think the whole thing feels very formulaic. Even to the point where most of the trash talk feels the same for almost every under card fight. I think the whole thing could do with a freshening up.

UFC do big fights brilliantly, I'd like more reason to care about some of the other fights on the PPV. Perhaps my fault for not watching all the countdown shows and shit but I don't have the chance to. I think they could break from the formula with the two guys popping out some cliche sound bytes which comes along with the whole gladiator theme at the moment. Perhaps live interviews, video packages or something different.

They can only show what the fighters give them though that's the problem. The majority fighters aren't experienced with the media and in the art of promoting a fight, hence why when they are interviewed they always come out with the same quotes.

Once again though using football as an example, you don't watch a football match because their is a big rivalry between the teams (on most occasions) you are watching because you love the sport and want to see a good game, same as MMA in that you are watching to hopefully see a good fight and the best fighters go at it. Obviously a big rivalry will will peak peoples interest, which is the same in football, but you can't fake a rivalry/trash talk if the fighters have no problem with each other (which is usually the case)

i can understand it if you're someone who just watches the shows. It's when you follow MMA on a daily basis where you'll learn about the fighters, their characters, how they are and stuff and that's what keeps me interested. If you're just gonna tune in for the shows it probably could come across as samey, cause at the end of the day it's a fight show and there's only so many ways you can promote a fight. Try to go outside of the box a little and watch the weekly news shows, check on some daily websites etc.

Good points. If you are only watching the PPV's then there really is little chance to get to know the fighters personalities. You have to watch/listen to the various shows with interviews with the fighters for you to care about them as people and really get involved with certain fights.

I guess if I went into PPV's not caring about who won certain fights then I may get fed up, as when watching a football match 90% of the time I watch it hoping a certain team wins/loses.

• Paid Members
They can only show what the fighters give them though that's the problem. The majority fighters aren't experienced with the media and in the art of promoting a fight, hence why when they are interviewed they always come out with the same quotes.

Once again though using football as an example, you don't watch a football match because their is a big rivalry between the teams (on most occasions) you are watching because you love the sport and want to see a good game, same as MMA in that you are watching to hopefully see a good fight and the best fighters go at it. Obviously a big rivalry will will peak peoples interest, which is the same in football, but you can't fake a rivalry/trash talk if the fighters have no problem with each other (which is usually the case)

I don't disagree which is why I think they'd get more out of building a fight based on the prospect of the contest and the importance of the result rather than using that same formula of two guys saying not a whole lot. I'd like to see them use that technique when it's a real needle fight, or even have them face to face at the weigh in, like boxing and use a video package or talking heads for other fights. I'm a casual fan, I need a reason to be interested. I think they can do that quite easily with some small changes. They have a good product, it'd be a shame to sit on the same formula forever. They seem to realise that though.

Any comparison with football is pointless. Football is far more interesting. Football is way easier to follow too. You know the importance of a football match, you know the outcome, you know where it leaves the teams in the table, in the cup, etc. UFC doesn't have league tables. Most fights seem self contained. I think they could explain that better too.

Any comparison with football is pointless. Football is far more interesting. Football is way easier to follow too.

That is completely circumstantial, some people find Football more interesting but just as many could find MMA more interesting - same thing with it being easy to follow, you hardly come out of the womb knowing what a foul throw is or the correct meaning of the offside rule just as you don't automatically know what a Peruvian Neck Tie is. Everything is on a person by person basis, its not facts.

One of the best & truest things Dana White has ever said was: If you were standing in the middle of the street and on one corner you had a group of people playing Football, on another you had people playing Basketball, on another you had people playing Cricket and on the fourth corner you had people fighting - the biggest crowd would always be watching the fighting. It's human nature, the oldest form of entertainment in the World.

• Paid Members

I like loads of sports from football to tennis to snooker to athletics all sorts. But i'll be honest none are more interesting to me than MMA and boxing. It really is all a matter of person by person imo like Metal says.

No other sport has made me scream at the TV like say the first time I saw Castillo vs Corrales 1, Gatti vs Ward 1, Chuck vs Wanderlei or Sanchez vs Guida. Or Big Nog's KO win last week. I actually find it more easy to root for a certain individual than a team aswell.

But yeah I've gotta agree with Rick's point on them changing up the look and feel of the shows. As much as I love the UFC shows they do all look the same. Fuck, even when they have a different sponsor in the centre of the cage (like the green Budweiser sign at UFC 132) you notice it immediately cos you're used to seeing the same things every show.

Ben Henderson vs. Clay Guida

KID Yamaoto vs. Darren Uyenoyama

added to the Fox show...they need to stream this thing, it's gonna be a must see.

You got to believe that

1. The winner of Guida/Bendo will get the next title shot after Edgar/Maynard

2. Dana and the boys will be hoping Cain vs JDS leaves enough time for Guida/Bendo to be shown on Fox as it should be dynamite.

You got to believe that

1. The winner of Guida/Bendo will get the next title shot after Edgar/Maynard

2. Dana and the boys will be hoping Cain vs JDS leaves enough time for Guida/Bendo to be shown on Fox as it should be dynamite.

You've gotta think they'd show Guida vs Henderson and JDS vs Velasquez. It was originally slated to be a 2-fight card anyway. Maybe they can extend it to 1 hour 30minutes and fit both in now with no problems?

• Paid Members

Strange situation, having such a good card and only 1 hour to show it. Obviously you'd have a non-televised card for the live crowd but what do you do with those other fights? In the past you'd save them for another TV date or save them as DVD extras but not these days. Henderson/Guida is way too good for TV filler.

I found UFC a bit samey at first, only being hooked in by Lesnar, and then Chael Sonnen. I guess that's the wrestling fan in me, but over time I've learnt to appreciate many fighters and I don't think it's 'samey' at all. Not on the main cards anyway. The pre-lims and whatnot can be very similar, when new fighters haven't really had a chance to carve an identity for themselves, but there's a huge difference between a lot of the main card fights.

• Paid Members

They've gotta find a way to show Guida vs Henderson on TV. It's the most important fight at 155 after Edgar/Maynard 3 they've gotta show it somewhere.

I love that they show the prelims on Facebook now but since they started that its harder to find the prelims in good quality. If they can get it aired as part of the main show I'll be chuffed.

Archived