The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth I agree with Paltaper that LU isn't Lucha and I don't like it.

It's isn't Lucha. Which is why it's watchable.
I agree with Rick. I have tried to watch CMLL and AAA, but I enjoy LU so much more, because it's less...clusterfucky. I suppose knowledge of the Spanish language would probably help in understanding exactly what is going on, but to me (and I do try to get it) it's just random. Everything feels so random.

Loads of Lucha isn't cluserfucky. There's fnatastic mat wrestling exhibitions, some of the greatest brawls anywhere - It's not just dives.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't completely understand the rules of (true) Lucha Libre, as opposed to 'Westernised' wrestling that I'm used to, but for me, a lack of tagging, during the insane amount of multiman matches, I feel, leads to matches that are somewhat hard to follow. Perhaps that is why I prefer LU, being the wrestling presentation that I'm used to with the excitement of 'lucha' style wrestling.

My first real venture into AAA was TripleMania, last year. I want to say that it was enjoyable, but it wasn't. The singles matches were good, and watchable, but the 6 man tags are just tough to follow.

Or perhaps I'm too simple?

• Paid Members

The rules of tagging in lucha are simple. You can tag, like in traditional tag-team matches, or you can leave the ring and be replaced. Whether or not it's your choice to leave the ring is another matter...

• Paid Members

Gents, I'm sorry to be that prick, but I have never watched an episode of Lucha Underground as I really thought it was going to be like that Wrestling Society X gig, but am very, very curious now.

Do I have to start at the start, or are there any matches anyone would recommend?

The rules of tagging in lucha are simple. You can tag, like in traditional tag-team matches, or you can leave the ring and be replaced. Whether or not it's your choice to leave the ring is another matter...

I looked it up, and I get that. It just leads to mess, I find. I don't know.

• Paid Members

Gents, I'm sorry to be that prick, but I have never watched an episode of Lucha Underground as I really thought it was going to be like that Wrestling Society X gig, but am very, very curious now.

Do I have to start at the start, or are there any matches anyone would recommend?

Start from Aztec Warfare in season 1 onwards.

As for matches go with:

Mil Muertes vs Fenix - Grave Consequences

Prince Puma vs Johnny Mundo - All Night Long

Son of Havoc, Ivelisse & Angelico vs The Crew

Mil Muertes vs Prince Puma

Pentagon Jnr vs Vampiro

Mil Muertes vs Prince Puma Vs Pentagon Jnr

I insist you watch it all.

Agreed. It starts slow, and some of it seems a little thrown together but my friend started on it the week after AW1, and I feel that I know more about the characters and such than he does. If you want to give it a proper go, watch from the beginning.

• Paid Members

Good LU episode this week. Daga/Texano and Killshort/Argenis were forgettable but that six man tag was ace! I'm hoping the Super Friends team of Rey/Dragon/Puma make it to the finals. They are great together. And Cage was a complete beast and almost true to his word came close to winning the match all on his own in the ending stretch.

For next week there's the bad news that the Disciples Of Death are back but that is very much drowned out by MATANZA VS MIL FUCKING MUERTES!!!! They're going to destroy the entire building. I'm more excited for this than I was the entire Wrestlemania card.

Archived