The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cassius beat Metallico, Voodoo, Necrosis, Freddie Mercurio, Fug, El Nordico Fuego, Lagarta del Plata and Monito Aludor in a 'Chaos' match

Mascarita Sagrada beat Octagoncito

Carmen Rosa beat Elizabet la Roba Corazones

Ray Man and Magnifico beat Heddi Karaoui and Zumbi

Cassandro and El Hijo del Santo beat Angel Blaco, Jr and Dr Wagner, Jr.

Good show, but not on the level of Lucha Libre London. The Lucha Britannia match showed some great effort put into costumes and characters, but was an awful match. Anyone who thinks a 9 man free for all is a good idea is foolish to begin with. The minis match was rubbish too. The last two matches were tremendous though.

You sure about some of those? I had the first match down as a six-person tag, with the technico team winning (Mercurio via moonsault), and Octagoncito beating Mascarita Sagrada to retain his belt.

• Paid Members

Cassius beat Metallico, Voodoo, Necrosis, Freddie Mercurio, Fug, El Nordico Fuego, Lagarta del Plata and Monito Aludor in a 'Chaos' match

Mascarita Sagrada beat Octagoncito

Carmen Rosa beat Elizabet la Roba Corazones

Ray Man and Magnifico beat Heddi Karaoui and Zumbi

Cassandro and El Hijo del Santo beat Angel Blaco, Jr and Dr Wagner, Jr.

Good show, but not on the level of Lucha Libre London. The Lucha Britannia match showed some great effort put into costumes and characters, but was an awful match. Anyone who thinks a 9 man free for all is a good idea is foolish to begin with. The minis match was rubbish too. The last two matches were tremendous though.

You sure about some of those? I had the first match down as a six-person tag, with the technico team winning (Mercurio via moonsault), and Octagoncito beating Mascarita Sagrada to retain his belt.

Did you go Friday, Carbomb? Dart's giving results from Thursday...

• Paid Members

Absolutely loved tonight at the Royal Albert Hall. The lower deck was probably 90% full. Great atmosphere. Check my twitter for results and pics. Twitter.com/gadget80

Yeah, that was fantastic, well worth making into an annual thing (please). The Royal Albert Hall is actually reminiscent of some of the AAA venues they use for TV (it's round and has a red carpeted floor). Pentagon Jr is awesome, and damn did everyone bring their snazziest ring gear! Would have been nice if they'd put on some appropriate food and drink though (nicer than £2.80 for a sprite anyway).

The York Hall show was nowhere near on the same level, but was a reasonable afternoon's entertainment. Dr Wagner is still great, Santo is still Santo, and seeing two little old Bolivian ladies work a half decent pro wrestling match was certainly something I never thought I'd see. I'd have suggested RevPro use a similar lighting set up to avoid half the people in the balcony having their view obscured, but a light bulb dramatically fell out during the main event (which could have been nasty). The 50 people in attendance made for a better atmosphere than you'd think, to be fair, but after buying my prime balcony ticket at full price when they went on sale, I didn't really want to be told I could basically sit wherever I liked.

and seeing two little old Bolivian ladies work a half decent pro wrestling match was certainly something I never thought I'd see.

Ah, are these the Fighting Cholitas? I wonder how they hell they train to be semi-decent wrestlers with no wrestling scene in the country that I know of.

Any word on any other matches?

• Paid Members

The York Hall show was lots of fun, although there were only around 200 people there the atmosphere was pretty good. Mano Negra approached me to try and sell me gimmicks before the show, so that was carny. Met The Dart, which was cool.

1) Cassius beat Pure Britannico to retain the Lucha Underground championship. Really, really fun match, with both guys working hard and Pure working heel to pop the crowd. Cassius was so over. I'm mixed on the sweaty hug he gave me afterwards, though.

2) La Rona Corazones beat Carmen Rosa in a battle of the fighting cholitas. It was what it was. Carmen was holding the rope when she got pinned but the referee - Mano Negra - ignored it. Booooo!

3) Mascarita Sagrada (not the one from Lucha Underground) beat Octagoncito (not the one from AAA) to win the WWA Minis title. Fun little match.

4) Heddi Karaoui beat Rayman to retain the WWA Light Heavyweight title after shenanigans. Good heeling from Heddi, Rayman is better than his dad.

5) El Hijo del Santo, Cassando & Zumbi beat Dr Wagner Jr, Angel Blanco Jr & Magnifico II. Cassandro didn't exotico it up, probably because it was a matinee show with loads of kids. Zumbi & Magnifico did most of the work but the others did their bit.

The lighting made the York Hall look the best it's looked for pro-wrestling when I've been there. Something to explore for RevPro, maybe?

And then onto the Albert Hall! Man, what a venue! I felt common just being there. I'd say there were about 2500-3000 there, which is a great draw at those prices. Show was tons of fun, with every match a little different to prevent lucha burnout.

1) Octagoncito (the one from AAA) & Blue Demoncito Jr beat Mini Abismo Negro & Mini Histeria, by whacky submission

2) Fénix beat Pentagón Jr when El Piero fast-counted by mistake. El Piero had earlier turned rudo, the bastard. These two really went for it, no 'phoning it in here.

Then came the interval and a man played tuba accompanied by a fella in a hat playing a mini synthesiser. It was actually brilliant.

3) Drago & Sexy Star beat Bengala & Faby Apache, when Drago pinned Bengala with a whacky roll-up. This got a bit chaotic and occasionally shit but that was not down to the women. The announcer got the tecnicos and rudos mixed up, which weirded the crowd reaction.

4) Blue Demon Jr, La Parka & Psycho Clown beat Texano Jr, El Hijo del Fantasma & Villano IV in a comedy classic. Texano Jr was obviously hurt but still put it in, and I was disappointed not to get a tope from Fantasma but this was really, really fun.

It was a tiring day but one I'd love to repeat. In the meantime, you should all come to Lucha Britannia. It's dead good.

The York Hall was heaving tonight, didn't think it would be but it was packed with a wonderfully mixed audience of youngsters, wrestling fans, a Spanish speaking crowd and people who'd clearly just come for a night out on the town. It created a real street level lucha show feel and the main event descended into chaos at the end with a bizarre finish and nobody knowing what was going on (plus Wagner discovering the word 'fucking' from his translator and proceeding to complain about this 'fucking country') which felt very authentic. Loved it. Wonderful set up too. It was great to see Santo knowing that he was pretty much finished at one point.

Top performances from Cassandro (as ever), Zumbi, Wagner and Rayman (who I was surprised by). Wagner is master at getting himself over.

The second to last match tried to explain the process of throwing money into the ring for a good match but I think it was lost to the audience who probably thought they'd get kicked out for tossing coins at performers.

Top marks goes to the ring announcer too, the luchadore introductions were really spot on at creating characters. Lucha Britannia seems like an interesting show too and I may actually have to check them out sometime.

Edit:

The Triplemania main event definitely feels like a desperation move but it is a huge match and they really don't have anything else going for the show other than Alberto vs Cage which isn't a main event for the biggest show of the year. It'll draw and draw big and doesn't need a build to do so which is handy because it doesn't have one. The Perro death really shook up their booking and they've struggled to find any long term momentum at the top of the card since.

• Paid Members

The card for Ultima Lucha is a bit disappointing. Pentagon Jr is obviously the coolest man alive but Vampiro while a fun commentator wasn't even any good when he was in his prime. Fat old Vampiro...how's he going to have a good match? Plus I'm scared he'll win. Pentagon Jr deserves better. Texano vs Blue Demon is a waste of time. Texano came in as a heel but only recently turned babyface plus he's not particularly good and while Blue Demon may be a legend in Mexico I think he's fucking shite and his heel turn was completely nonsensical. It seems to also be distracting from the White Lotus/Chavo/Dario's secret monster brother storyline which I have no idea where that's going. Finally you've got Son Of Havoc, Ivellise and Angelico vs the Disciples of Death. Havoc/Ivellise/Angelico's story has been one of the biggest highlights of Lucha Underground, the Disciples turned up out of nowhere and had one rubbish match where they struggled to beat a woman, a tranny and a midget. The Trios champs need better opponents. Also, King Cuerno, Fenix, Cage, Da Mack, Big Ryck, Jack Evans and The Crew are missing from the big show. Very odd.

On the other hand I haven't been as excited about a match for years as I have been about Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes. It's going to be FUCKING AWESOME. You've got the unbeatable super-babyface vs. the unbeatable monster heel. Puma is an incredible underdog and watching Muertes beating the hell out of people is the best thing in wrestling right now. It's going to be wonderful.

• Paid Members

They haven't announced everything yet. The fact that Cueto's been handing out medallions ought to be clue that the people who won them might just feature on Ultima Lucha, no? Maybe in a seven-way? It would look that way. I expect Texano Jr versus Blue Demon Jr to be a short lucha brawl, and it'll be fine for that. The Trios title match will be goofy fun, probably with a huge Angelico dive, and Vampiro versus Pentagon Jr should just be brutal. Then you've got Drago versus Hernandez, which will be weird, and Mundo versus Alberto, which will be great, and the title match. Yeah, it'll be a sweet show.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived