The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

Still would love them to end up with a more 'traditional' style of booking where they use it to build up to a big show but thats a minor complaint.

See this is the exact reason I think LU works. There is no need for a build up for a big show (though there is going to be one) as the TV show is the big show. Taking away from that and you render the whole thing pointless.

I know it costs gazillions, but with the PPV model dead due to stuff like WWE Network, what is the point when you have the whole thing there and a monetised event/special would actually devalue and spoil the whole thing moving forward

No internet has bollocksed me keeping on top of this, I have a great DVD set from a guy off here, but still ages behind :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the exact reason it works with all the out there booking, it's a TV show. It doesn't have to follow traditional wrestling rules. One show, one match, brilliant. They've done it twice and nobody could complain at the quality. It's wrestling but done differently. Ultimate Lucha is going to be amazing.

One of the benefits to LU not building to big shows is that different stories progress and peak at different points, allowing there to be one big match/angle every week. Keeps the whole thing fresh and there is a reason to tune in every week.

Yup, incredible stuff. I love how original it is. The concept of a one match show just works. Mundo as a heel is also far better.

Still would love them to end up with a more 'traditional' style of booking where they use it to build up to a big show but thats a minor complaint.

I fucking love Drago also.

Drago is absolutely ace. I'm not big into Mexican wrestling but wasn't he a few characters before he become Drago? Alan or something definitely rings a bell? Would appreciate it if anyone shine a bit of light on him because I really enjoy his work.

• Paid Members

That was the most fun wrestling TV I've seen in years. Just incredible. Fuck a monthly PPV. LU doesn't need it. Career best performance from Johnny Mundo. Even Matt Striker was great. LU reminds me how fucking wonderful wrestling truly can be. They've got me excited for Alberto Del Rio vs John Morrisson which previously would have been some kind of Smackdown midcard hell.

• Paid Members

Yup, incredible stuff. I love how original it is. The concept of a one match show just works. Mundo as a heel is also far better.

Drago is absolutely ace. I'm not big into Mexican wrestling but wasn't he a few characters before he become Drago? Alan or something definitely rings a bell? Would appreciate it if anyone shine a bit of light on him because I really enjoy his work.

He was just Alan. One of Los Spice Boys, with Billy & Vangelis. MEXICO! There's a fair bit of his past stuff floating around on YouTube, full shows put up by AAA and individual matches by thecubsfan.

He was just Alan. One of Los Spice Boys, with Billy & Vangelis. MEXICO! There's a fair bit of his past stuff floating around on YouTube, full shows put up by AAA and individual matches by thecubsfan.

Thanks mate. Will definitely check him out. Is he popular in AAA? My only exposure to him is through LU.

• Paid Members

He's not unpopular. They have such a large roster that unless you're one of the top, top guys, you don't make it onto every show. And he's not one of the top, top guys. But he's there in the middle, with Aero Star and Super Fly and Jack Evans and Angelico and all those other flyers. They provide the entertainment while the heavyweight brawlers bring in the fans.

I seem to remember Drago seeming really hot when the gimmick first came about but it didn't go anywhere. I'd actually say he's a little bit lower on the totem pole than Aero Star and Jack Evans. He isn't getting a big mask match anytime soon and Evans is a guy they'll always be keen on. The thing about the promotion is it seems to have two different directions, at times it seems like they really want to get behind the younger guys and give them the big opportunities but to be honest they don't even get past the second tier main event guys like La Parka or Cibernetico for long.

I think this might have been the year where that was going to change. Supposedly televisa wanted them to freshen up the show big time, Pentagon Jr managed to get into the first big match with Rey Mysterio, the world cup was a real (somewhat confused) attempt at doing something different and more single matches have crept in for the younger guys, but the company still lost a ton of momentum after Perro and I think the refocus hasn't been as urrgh focused as it may have been. But then they've been having to work out what the biggest match of the year will be again after that death.

Archived