British Bulldog Dvd

kamicazze

• Paid Members
is the reason Bulldog doesn't have a dvd set because his better matches are on The Hart, Bret Hart and HBK compilations?

I'd say it's got more to do, post-Benoit and all that, with the fact that the second time he left the WWF it was due to being grassed in for buying steroids by Woyah, his addiction to pain medicine and well-publicised hospitalization between WcW and coming back which later required the WWF to send him to rehab, and the heart attack that killed him being bought on by years of steroid and then painkiller abuse.

That's an awful lot to gloss over, interspersed throughout his career. It's not like the Perfect one which was basically "Oh, look at his career..... he was a great bloke.... great matches..... oh, and then he died" - ROLL CREDITS.

Call it a cliche, but I'd love to see a 3 disc Bulldogs set, one with documentary/career retropective, one disc of Bulldogs together matches, one of Dyno and Smithers' best singles matches, or something like that. But it won't happen. Some of Dyno's stories/antics I hear make Smithers' scandals look like an episode of Spongebob in comparison.

• Paid Members
Call it a cliche, but I'd love to see a 3 disc Bulldogs set, one with documentary/career retropective, one disc of Bulldogs together matches, one of Dyno and Smithers' best singles matches, or something like that. But it won't happen. Some of Dyno's stories/antics I hear make Smithers' scandals look like an episode of Spongebob in comparison.

They could always do a 3 discer without a doc like the Savage one. 1 disc with the team's best matches, one on Dynamite's matches and one for Davey Boy's. That way they could just have the little bits between the matches with a few talking heads without having to get into the seedy stuff.

It's not ideal, I'd rather a proper doc but for the reasons you gave it's not likely.

• Paid Members

I actually don't think the backstage sleeze and death have anything to do with it. Why would it? If they were to make a DVD set on either Davey Boy or The Bulldogs they just simply talk about his/their career, there's no need to discuss the other stuff. It's not like WWE have shyed away from the Bulldog, he's been named checked an WWE TV plenty due to his son.

I'd actually be interested in what people think should be on a DVD set. Match wise I don't know anything about the WCW stuff of Japan or anything else WWE might have access too. Obviously the Wembley Stadium match would have to be on there.

• Paid Members

I've been wishing for years that they do a Bulldogs DVD or a Davey Boy DVD. For me, my ideal DVD would be a 3-disc set comprising of ; Disc 1- Documentary about both Dyno and Davey, covering their early days in the business, Stampede, going to the WWF and then eventually parting ways, and then with Smith coming back on his own. At that point, the story of his days from 91-97 would be covered. Disc 2 - matches of the Bulldogs as a team. Obviously, matches with the Hart Foundation would be included, but I would love to see some of their earlier WWF squash matches, along with some great matches that haven't been used up to now on the very few appearances on WWE DVDs so far, such as the match with the Rougeaus from SummerSlam 88. Disc 3 - this would consist of Smith's singles career, although I'm not enitrely sure of what I would personally want on there outside of the obvious like the SummerSlam 92 match with Bret. There would be plenty to choose from considering that everything from Davey's 91-97 run is tucked away in the WWE video library. There's quite a bit of shite from those years, though of course, but stuff like the Battle Royal at the Albert Hall come to mind. On a side note, the packaging of this DVD would no doubt look brilliant, given the subject and the Union Jack colours and hopefully a shot of both Matilda and Winston.

For interview segments and extras on the DVD, I would imagine that there would be no shortage of people with funny stories to tell about the Bulldog. Also, I think it would be great if they included footage and interviews that show his level of stardom over here during his best years. Everyone knew who the British Bulldog was, people of all different ages, and they still do. I can honestly say that I have never had to explain myself to anybody when I mentioned the British Bulldog, whether it was when I have spoken to my friends (some of whom were casual fans years ago, but a lot of them never watched wrestling), or my grandparents etc.

Of course, even if WWE produced a Davey Boy/Bulldogs DVD, then it probably wouldn't end up anything close to what I or anybody else would be hoping for. Unfortunatley, I would imagine that if they did do a Bulldog DVD, then it would be very rushed and disapointing. I would love to be proved wrong on that though.

ive always wondered why silvervision dont release one as a european exclusive like they do with the live in the uk events. it could just be matches from british and irish wrestlers over the years and they would have plenty of matches from various promotions to source from.

british bulldog could have maybe a 2 disc set on his own. id put the bulldog vs haku match from msg in 1991 on there, would love to see that match again it was a 25 minute epic that had me actually thinking haku would win (and lets face it, in 1991 bulldog i think only lost by pinfall once to flair) it was on one of the vhs back in the day, cant remember which though.

• Paid Members

I've got that Best of British Bulldogs in Japan DVD that Richie mentioned- it's got some tremendous matches on it.

A WWE produced Bulldog set would be great, but as some have mentioned I don't see it happening due to the nature of Davey's death and the fact that his career path was largely dictated by his drug problems. A Bulldog DVD set would be really interesting if it featured a documentary, but not so good if it didn't. Outside of his work with Dynamite it's probably fair to say that all his best matches are already featured on other people's DVDs.

• Paid Members
id put the bulldog vs haku match from msg in 1991 on there, would love to see that match again it was a 25 minute epic that had me actually thinking haku would win (and lets face it, in 1991 bulldog i think only lost by pinfall once to flair) it was on one of the vhs back in the day, cant remember which though.

'Fraid not. Davey got pinned all over the country by Mr Perfect in Perfect's final pre-SummerSlam program (it was against Davey that Perfect did his back in), got pinned by Col Mustafa on Challenge as they built the threat of the Triangle of Terror, got pinned on numerous house shows by The Mountie (to get Mountie over as a serious challenge to Bret) and was pinned several times by The Undertaker, one of which is on the Crunch Classic tape, which I had. Damn urn. It's rather moot however since that famous Mega Matches match with Haku at the Garden actually took place in October 1990.

No shame in losing to Sheiky Baby, of course.

I would use as far matches post Bulldogs go: -

Bulldog/Haku in the afterforementioned match (has that been released on vhs previously?)

Bulldog/Bezerker from 1992 (not sure which match but has been released on CHV)

Bulldog/Bret- Summerslam 1992

Bulldog/Vader - Slamboree 1993

Bulldog/Sting v Sid/Vader - Beach Blast 1993

Bulldog/Regal - Halloween Havoc 1993

Bulldog/Bret - IYH 5

Bulldog/Shawn - KOTR 1996

Bulldog/Owen - RAW IC Tournament October 1996

Bulldog/Owen - European Title - RAW 1997

Canadian Stampede 10 Man Tag - 1997

Bulldog/Shamrock - Summerslam 1997

Bulldog/Shawn - One Night Only

Bulldog/HHH - Smackdown 1999

Unforgiven 1999 6 Pack Challenge

Bulldog/Rock - No Mercy 1999

Bulldog/Guerrero - Heat 2000 (Bulldog's last WWF match?)

I don't think there was anything decent in his last WCW run, maybe a couple of ok matches with Alex Wright but nothing special otherwise. Any suggestions?

• Paid Members
I was always rather partial to his matches with The Warlord. Big hardhitting battles that signalled the end of the Warlords push, and the start of Davey's mini push.

I loved his match with the 'load at WM7. The simplistic storytelling created great drama - that moment of fear for Davey when the Warlord clamped on the then-unbroken and you-thought-unbreakable full nelson. The moment of joy when Smith broke it and the look of disbelief on the Walrus' face - he was a beaten man. And then the place went mental when Smithers picked him up.

I also enjoyed his matches with Barbar, dispelling the disgraceful myth that DBS could only have a great match with a superworker of Hart/Hart/Michaels calibre, or worse still needed "carrying." Plebs.

Deja vu here really of retreading the ground of Ian's superb Bulldog thread, which is better than this one purely for the pic of Davey phoning President Monsoon for a title shot even though he's sat right next to him.

Archived