pro evo 12 / fifa 12

buba3d

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried the Fifa demo last night. I think it is better than 11 in terms of movement. The AI isn't any better imo. I also like the fact that tackles now require timing instead of just holding down the button. That will take some getting used to. I'm really looking forward to the PES demo tonight, I think subconciously I've already made up my mind and will more likely get PES (unless I really dislike the demo).

What I think I dislike about FIFA is how real they are trying to make it (and in turn making something simple overcomplicated) and it's dragging the fun aspect out of it. I can see people who can actually play football and have experience playing in proper games enjoying it more because of this realism aspect. But from a football fan & gaming fan perspective, PES is more enjoyable. I'm all for advancing the way the game is played, and making it better, but not at the risk of making it frustrating and unenjoyable.

Good arrows Houchen.

I haven't played the FIFA 12 demo yet, but the two gaming forums I visit are both hating it somewhat so far. I suppose it's hard to gain a proper impression on a 6 minute match. I think I'll be using the old defending controls to start with anyway, don't fancy having to use the shoulder buttons to gain support in defending. Other than the quick throws in and the addition of more realistic volleys, from what I've read it seems to be pretty much the same as 11.

Fifa Street 4 is out early next year too, and the initial write ups looks very promising indeed. If FIFA and PES are both not up to scratch, I'll be sticking to NBA 2K12 and MW3 for the next year I'd imagine.

A couple of people have given the PES demo glowing reviews. It's not a massive overhaul just the necessary tweaks.

Personally, I'm not a big FIFA fan. It's too slow and feels very mechanical.

I've heard the off the ball control takes a little getting used to, but is a great addition. I don't know if my brain can handle controlling two players at once.

• Paid Members
I've heard the off the ball control takes a little getting used to, but is a great addition. I don't know if my brain can handle controlling two players at once.

Yeah, I remember when FIFA tried something similar ages ago. It was far too much arseing about. Maybe PES has a better system.

The one thing my mate was raving about is teams playing differently. One of my biggest problems with previous Next Gen PES games is all the teams play in a similar way. It will be nice to play against a 'Stoke' and then a 'Barca' style of team.

PES is definitely beginning to show its age. There are some things I like about it - I like the weight of the ball when shooting etc, it has a more authentic feel than FIFA in that respect, but that is just about the only category in which I could see PES2012 winning over FIFA 12. Graphically, it looks horrible (I don't think this can just be my system settings either, because FIFA looks lovely). Also, like all of the 360/PS3 era instalments of PES, it feels dull and soulless: I felt that the old PS2 PES games were excellent for communicating the vibrancy of the beautiful game; everything seems really drab now. From what I can tell (I've played four matches), this plays identically to last year's version. Not to mention the fact that the menus/trailer are still soundtracked to the stock J-pop nonsense that is characteristic of the series - it was fun over the years, but it's beginning to wear thin.

I'll be going for FIFA this year. Once again, it seems like the annual "PES has got its act together this year, honest" claims were unfounded.

I hope PES makes 2 player fun again. That was the biggest downfall with 2011. The games I played against my mates were really dull, and mostly ended up 0-0.

Oh, which reminds me. I hope they have a better penalty system. Fifa's was brilliant, PES's was shit.

The camera angle on PES is literally the most ridiculous penalty camera angle I have ever known.

After 5 PM today.

Nice one.

I've enjoyed playing the Pes one but it still doesn't look like it will replace Fifa for me. In some ways the gameplay is really fluid and in others stiff, it's hard to explain. The goalkeeping is still awful. They'll spill anything. One thing I will say is I actually prefer the cheesy pop Pes has as the soundtrack over the Fifa stuff. After hundreds of hours playing time it all gets really annoying anyway.

The camera angle on PES is literally the most ridiculous penalty camera angle I have ever known.

That was one of the problems, from that angle I believe holding the thumb stick up was to shoot left, and down was to shoot right. But when you're in a penalty shootout the camera angle changes to the more traditional one, which means you have to remember to adjust the angle that you shoot (left is left etc).

The Fifa 12 demo is ok...

Defending is extremely hard now, you can no longer hold on to the sprint button and X button to close down a defender.

The game is a lot smoother though.

(If you can't wait till 5pm for the Fifa demo, make a US account on PSN)

Archived