The Chris Masters Appreciation Thread

Mr.Showtime

• Paid Members

His latest tweets:

"I wanna thank everyone for their support.The 1st time I was released i brought it on myself.This time I worked my ass off!cont..........."

"I wanted to prove I wanst just a body.that I could pull off some great story telling matches.I wasn't ever a bodybuilder,I am a mark!"

Good on him.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Masters is certainly the biggest loss to WWE in a long time. There's so much untapped potential in that man that he could go and main event TNA straight away, and be a far more legit title holder than some of the guys they're pushing over there.

If I were to narrow down my top 5 Chris Masters moments, they'd be:

1. Starring in an Elimination Chamber match less than a year after his debut on Raw.

To be able to main event a PPV this quickly is something pretty special, especially being put in such a hellish environment as an Elimination Chamber. This clearly showed their faith in him right from the get-go. Chris sadly didn't win that night, mostly because of the backstabbing Carlito, but he certainly made a strong impression on a lot of people. This was a true highlight of his first year on the road full-time, but definitely not the only highlight.

2. Submitting The Nature Boy Ric Flair.

Again, in under a year, he was making all sorts of impressive moves. He got to wrestle Shawn Michaels 1 on 1 at Unforgiven in 2005, but perhaps more impressive than that, the month before he actually used MASTERLOCK TIME~! to make Ric Flair submit. That's Ric Flair, the guy who's held double digit Heavyweight titles, won multiple PWI 'wrestler of the year' awards and is now a Hall Of Famer. And yet Chris Masters, in his first year, was going over the guy like he was nothing.

3. Developing his craft in Japan.

Even though he was in the biggest US company for professional wrestling and at the top of his game, Chris Masters chose to admirably step away as he knew he needed to develop more before being able to challenge for a major title. In 2007, he left WWE, and had his first match with Inoki Genome Federation, defeating a well known wrestler in Ryuji Yanagisawa. Not many wrestlers would have the intestinal fortitude to admit to themselves that they need to be better, and it's a credit to Chris that he clearly knew he needed to add something before coming back to WWE.

4. The Masterpiece returns to Raw.

In 2009, Masters decided it was time to return. He felt he was finally ready to bring something special to the table and climb to the top of the mountain in WWE. When I was watching Raw live, and Chris returned to face MVP I jumped out of my seat, just like everyone in Washington DC. The only pops that have come close to that are The Rock's return and Punk at Money In The Bank.

5. A true Superstar.

Admirably this year has all been about Masters on Superstars. He realised that it was the true 'wrestling' show, away from all the silly gimmicks and storylines, where they were just able to wrestle and put on some fantastic matches. Everyone knows that if you want to watch actual wrestling, then it's best to watch Superstars than the weekly soap operas on Raw and Smackdown. I've enjoyed Masters' matches with Hawkins, Reks and Swagger more than the majority of anything on television or PPV in the past 6 months.

So to lose a guy at the top of his game is very disappointing to a fan who loves true wrestling. Everyone here who loves 'our great sport' will see Masters as a true throwback to the era of Hogan and Warrior, where you didn't have to have MOVEZ~! to be flashy, but rather just a strong grip on what an audience wanted. Keep your body in shape, show a passion for the business, and tell a great story. To that end, Masters was a true professional, and his recent comments after his release are spot on.

Chris Masters, you will be missed but certainly not forgotten.

• Paid Members

I don't think he was "at the top of his game" on his first run - he was pretty poor. Plus he was released, wasn't he? He didn't step away.

His second run is when he really shone, I think - I agree his time away has honed his skills and improved him to become the stellar worker he is now. I really hope he goes to TNA, as I really want to see him on TV again.

I don't think he was "at the top of his game" on his first run - he was pretty poor. Plus he was released, wasn't he? He didn't step away.

I think he's trying to be funny, like the comment about Masters return getting a bigger pop than The Rock or CM Punk. It's that kind of unfunny humour that seems to have infected this forum far too much recently.

I think he's trying to be funny, like the comment about Masters return getting a bigger pop than The Rock or CM Punk. It's that kind of unfunny humour that seems to have infected this forum far too much recently.

Actually my wording was a little off there. I'd certainly put those two ahead of Masters' return, but nothing else.

If anything's an infection, it's people accusing others of 'trying to be funny' instead of simply disagreeing with a point they made. Why not have a discussion instead of falling back on a tiresome and lazy response. I clearly put some thought and effort into my post in this topic, so I suggest you do the same.

UK Promoters: Start your engines. Throw your cash at Masters.

Masterpiece83@gmail.com

Not uk but hes already booked in europe

From observer news update

Chris Masters has been announced for World Stars of Wrestling for a tour of Portugal starting on 8/19.

• Paid Members

Genuinly love his work because he proved me wrong and became for my money one of the best talents the company had. I couldn't wait to see his new superstars stuff.

Sadly Trips didn't seem to like him at all

I absolutely loved it when he smashed Stevie Richards' face to bits. I won't miss him because I don't watch Superstars, but I do hope he doesn't go to TNA, it will only damage a WWE return, should that ever happen again.

Archived