Strikeforce: Fedor vs Henderson Discussion Thread

David

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quotes like this say to me that his heart isn't in it anymore:

"Right now, what I'd like to do is return home to Russia to see my newborn daughter," he said. "She was just born, and I'm very fortunate for this gift in my life. With respect to MMA, I just have to think about it and decide what I'm going to do in the future.

"My entire adult life and young life, all I've known is training and fighting and competing. That's something that I very much love continue doing, and I'd still like for that to be a large part of my life. But today, my life, what's first is my faith and my religion, and then my family. That's what I live for. ... My job and what I do for work is secondary behind those two things."

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Fedor got screwed, Herb Dean jumped in way too early giving poor Fedor NO chance to turn around which we was on his way doing.

You need to watch it again Fedor was out cold then came round due to being hit. If the ref did not stop the fight Hendo would have punched a hole threw Fedors face. It was a good stoppage.

The 1st fight was fun seemed Scott Smith got hit with everything.

• Paid Members

Yeah, You can't have any complaints with that stoppage. Hendo Ko'd him and then woke him back up. It was all so quick, but he definitely went limp and the fight was rightly stopped.

WTF was Gus Johnson doing asking Fedor if he thought it was early stoppage? He must have saw the replay. Shitty thing to ask, Herb did a great job. Hopefully we won't have people actually contesting the decision.

Rest of the show was tidy too. Saffeideine looked a match for anyone and his fight with Woodley should be great. Although Daley's TTD looked much improved, he still looks lost off his back, the roll to Omoplata was nice though.

Fedor's future depends on a few factors in my opinion.

First of all, he simply has to drop to light-heavy. He looked decent in that fight, going up against someone of comparable size & weight which made a real difference I feel. He also has to talk to his people at M-1. He simply can't ask for the kind of money & conditions he has in the past if he wants to continue fighting in the US.

If he does both of those things, I can see him carving a decent career in the light-heavy division for a couple of years.

Fuck, can you imagine the "superfights" available if they drafted him over to the UFC? Rich Franklin, Rampage, Tito Ortiz & Shogun? I'd love to see any of those fights.

• Paid Members
Fuck, can you imagine the "superfights" available if they drafted him over to the UFC? Rich Franklin, Rampage, Tito Ortiz & Shogun? I'd love to see any of those fights.

Erm Anderson Silva? :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
I can't see how you could justify Fedor vs Silva when Fedor has lost 3 on the bounce.

I think he's done in the US. He'll probably have a fight or two in Russia for M1, and then retire.

Because it would be fun? Put a Rocky spin on it. If he loses he is done if he wins he lives with his head held up high I don't know. I just think the way Fedor comes forward would make a Anderson Silva fight fun to see.

Not only did Hendo win beside the knockdown he dominated, backing Fedor up with big shots and pinning him up against the cage.

I originally thought the stoppage was early, but replay showed that Fedor was out. Herb is a class ref. I think Fedor should retire, maybe a few fights in Russia and Japan are on the cards for him, but in terms of fighting the worlds best I think that time is over.

With the Zuffa monoply and the bad blood with M1 I doubt he will be back in UFC and Strikeforce. For Hendo if he stays in the SF then I see him fighting the winner of Gracie/King Mo.

Aye that will be it for Fedor now in a major US company and maybe all together, I can't see Dana paying him the money he wants especially as he's just lost 3 off the trot

I wonder what's going to happen to the Strikeforce Light Heavywight title now as well as that was Henderson's last fight and he's the champ. He doesnt get on with Dana so I'm not sure if they will agree terms on a new deal, if he doent then that leaves Strikeforce with 3 vacant belts

Nick Diaz - Welterweight Champion ( signed for UFC )

Dan Henderson - Light Heavyweight Champion ( Contract finished )

Alistair Overeem - Heavyweight Champion ( Released from Strikeforce )

Not a very good situation

The show its self last night was canny, the opener was really good I thought even though it was just Smith getting battered for 3 rounds it was entertaining. The Daley fight went the way I thought it would with Woodley looking to keep him down. Daley's take down defense looked better last night though and I was shocked seeing him go for a submission.

The Tim Kennedy vs. Robbie Lawler fight went the same way as the Daley one although Lawler had a little better luck on the feet and opened up a gusher on Kennedy's nose. Shame Kennedy won as I cant stand him

• Paid Members
What has happened to Fedor? He doesn't look like he's slowed down too much but it seems his fight IQ has dropped completely.

this sums it up for me. I don't really know what Fedor was thinking. He stepped in and went into a shootout with one of the hardest punchers in the sport. It was without doubt one of the most exciting rounds of the year but it was basically a case of who landed that bomb first. If anyone attempts to trade with Hendo like that, you know Henderson is going to stand right in there and throw back. It was just nuts.

Fedor used to be such a smart fighter, a guy who balanced technique with sheer brutality to perfection. He fought stupidly against Werdum, Henderson & Silva and he's paid the price in all 3.

Should he retire? from a physical standpoint i say no, but if he mentally doesn't want to do it then yes. That stoic figure that walks to the cage and looks so calm used to be one of a man people would say was like a 'cold calculated killer'. Now im starting to think it's actually of a guy that doesn't like fighting very much.

oh the stoppage wasn't early either, Herb did a great job. It was similar to the Daley-Diaz stoppage, it could have gone on but it would have led to Fedor taking some unecessary shots.

People are going to just question Fedor's place in the sport after it and again say he was always overrated but we mustn't forget that it was one hell of a fight.

What a win for Henderson though, one of the greatest of all time.

• Paid Members

It's quite obvious Fedor hasn't been arsed about fighting for years now. If he truely still had the drive to be the best he would have went to UFC (Dana offered him a cracking deal), but he seemed happy just letting M-1 do the deal, as all he was arsed about was getting paid on his terms.

His comments after his first two losses in Strikeforce, sum up his lack of appetite for the fight game at the minute.

If Fedor was to put the work in again, move to a new camp (like Ortiz) get in cracking shape, I think he would be a beast. The problem is he doesn't want to do that (and that's fine) and as a result he's getting left behind by modern MMA fighters.

Pretty decent night of fights, but yet again the commentary did its best to try and ruin the show for me (an all too consistent thing).

When you've got Mauro Ranello coming out with such shit before the Saffiedine/Smith fight had even begun saying: "Saffiedine is on the cusp of Welterweight greatness!" FFS! :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

Man, Hendo has gotta go down as one of the all time greats in MMA for me after that. Not just beating Fedor but the way he did it. You could argue Fedor made a sloppy mistake against Werdum and was too outsized vs Bigfoot but for Hendo, a natural 185-205er to put him out like that at 40 years old just solidifies him as a proper MMA legend. Deffo a good stoppage, Fedor totally faceplanted and was out cold until Hendo woke him with the follow ups.

What's with all the crazy one rounders this year? Diaz/Daley, Kongo/Barry, Silva/Belfort, Stann/Leben, Tito/Bader now Fedor/Hendo. Fuck, and there's still 5 months left.

Daley's takedown defence looked much improved but he just couldn't let his hands go because of the threat of the takedown. Smart gameplan by Woodley, if not the most exciting to watch. Nice omaplata attempt from Daley at the end too. Woodley vs Saffiedine should be good. Dunno where Daley goes from here, maybe Marquardt in BAMMA but that would be 3 losses in a row imo.

Saffiedine looked really sharp vs Smith. Anyone else think Smith just doesn't look right at 170? He looks slow and sluggish to me I dunno if it's the way he's cutting or what but he seems to lose something by going down in weight to me.

Miesha Tate surprised me. Decent fight, I really thought Coenen would win fairly comfortably and Tate submitting Coenen was the least likely end imo. I said submission round 4 but never thought it would be Tate winning.

Good show.

• Paid Members

yeh it's a shame.

as for thest of the card:

Strikeforce are in a weird position with the welterweight title. The plan looks like it'll now he Saffediene/Woodley. That would have been perfect if they hadn't already fought once this year already, that fight didn't exactly light the MMA world on fire either. Still, it's the only option they have.

As for the two fights last night they both went as i expected.

Scott Smith is terrible, the guy's whole fight game revolves around him hopefully landing that one punch. He was completely schooled, he looked lost out there. It was a pefect fight for Saffediene to have to kind of announce himself to a bigger audience. Smith's a punching bag. I am fan of the guy cause i admire his guts but he seriously nees to think about doing something else. Him moving to WW was a big mistake.

Woodley/Daley was again a showcase of Daley's shortcomings. Yeh his takedown defence as pretty good but Woodley's persistence got him through. Daley's a victim of his own success at this point. The guy hits hard but pre-fight talk of 'hes never been hit by someone like me' works against him, it's nice for fight promotion and makes for some nice soundbites but he basically convinces people to take him down.

Archived