Strikeforce: Fedor vs Henderson Discussion Thread

David

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fedor Emelianenko is no longer a Strikeforce fighter.

But he is definitely still a Showtime fighter, according to his representatives.

UFC president Dana White said today that the former PRIDE champion's days in the hexagon have come to an end following a third consecutive loss this past Saturday in suburban Chicago.

"You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world," White said at a media scrum following the pre-event press conference for UFC 133. "I said he was overrated for years."

White said "he thought so" when asked whether Emelianenko's contract was up and that Zuffa simply wasn't re-signing him.

The decision to cut Emelianenko, though, wasn't one in which he was involved.

"I'm so far removed from any of that [expletive]," he said.

Reached for comment on the release, M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan said to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), "Really? Given that [White] doesn't have a contract with Fedor, interesting."

Kogan stated that Emelianenko's contract lies not with the recently acquired Strikeforce but instead with Showtime Networks, Inc., who played a major role in bringing the Russian back to the negotiating table after talks with Strikeforce broke down in the latter half of 2010.

As part of a deal to bring Emelianenko back to the Strikeforce cage, Showtime negotiated a deal to broadcast four M-1 Global events in 2011. The first of those events took place this past March in Norfolk, Va.

Kogan indicated that Emelianenko may soon find a home with the promotion in which he also holds a minority ownership stake.

Emelienanko was stopped in the first round by Dan Henderson in the main event of "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson." Afterward, he deflected comments about possible retirement and said a decision would be made after he returned to Russia to spend time with his family.

Source: MMAjunkie.com

The comments above are the reason that I can't take to Dana White at all. Why can't he ever show some respect?

Aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fedor fight on an M-1 card on Showtime again.

• Paid Members

Dana sounds like a right wanker. Perfect for running a company like UFC, obviously - just not likeable at all. Coming out with statements like "I've been saying he's over-rated for years" is just the kind of obnoxious lie that wrestling heels come out with. I don't even watch all that much MMA, and I can tell that Fedor wasn't over-rated - all his recent defeats mean is that he was once great and now he's on his way down, not that he's always been over-rated.

• Paid Members
Dana sounds like a right wanker. Perfect for running a company like UFC, obviously - just not likeable at all. Coming out with statements like "I've been saying he's over-rated for years" is just the kind of obnoxious lie that wrestling heels come out with. I don't even watch all that much MMA, and I can tell that Fedor wasn't over-rated - all his recent defeats mean is that he was once great and now he's on his way down, not that he's always been over-rated.

Thats BS. Dana does alot for the fans and seems to go out of his way to make sure people are pleased. Sure he has his ruthless streak which he obviously needs in business, but to say hes not likeable at all is massively over the top. He does what he can to give the fans what they want. That goes along way in my book. The Fedor/M1 situation is well documented, but I don't think you should base your opinion on him on this alone.

• Paid Members
Thats BS. Dana does alot for the fans and seems to go out of his way to make sure people are pleased. Sure he has his ruthless streak which he obviously needs in business, but to say hes not likeable at all is massively over the top. He does what he can to give the fans what they want. That goes along way in my book. The Fedor/M1 situation is well documented, but I don't think you should base your opinion on him on this alone.

Maybe. I'm not entirely basing it on this - the whole contract situation concerning fighters is something I take a dim view of, and he's said other things in the past that, to me, make him come across as a wanker. As to him doing stuff for the fans - sorry, but I don't think that's anything to base a positive opinion on at all; the fans are his bread-and-butter, so of course he's got to do a lot for them. Fan/Customer service is basic marketing; if he was an arsehole to them, UFC'd lose a lot of business. This isn't the best example, as it's anecdotal, but from my limited time working in BritWres, I met several guys who the fans think are lovely and wonderful, yet in the locker-room or behind closed doors, they were complete arse-hats; as a result, I don't count fan service as a plus.

I'm not saying he's a cunt or an evil human being - I just find him incredibly unlikeable, and a shining example of what I dislike about American businessmen.

Erm, but he has said that for years.

I've met Dana and I can safely say he is one of the coolest and nicest guys I've ever met, so accommodating to fans.

• Paid Members
Erm, but he has said that for years.

Not my point. I'm not saying he hasn't said it for years, I'm saying it's a lie he's been telling for years as a result of sour grapes, and he's telling it now out of schadenfreude.

I've met Dana and I can safely say he is one of the coolest and nicest guys I've ever met, so accommodating to fans.

See my point above.

• Paid Members
Maybe. I'm not entirely basing it on this - the whole contract situation concerning fighters is something I take a dim view of, and he's said other things in the past that, to me, make him come across as a wanker. As to him doing stuff for the fans - sorry, but I don't think that's anything to base a positive opinion on at all; the fans are his bread-and-butter, so of course he's got to do a lot for them. Fan/Customer service is basic marketing; if he was an arsehole to them, UFC'd lose a lot of business. This isn't the best example, as it's anecdotal, but from my limited time working in BritWres, I met several guys who the fans think are lovely and wonderful, yet in the locker-room or behind closed doors, they were complete arse-hats; as a result, I don't count fan service as a plus.

I'm not saying he's a cunt or an evil human being - I just find him incredibly unlikeable, and a shining example of what I dislike about American businessmen.

I don't think hes a Saint either. Regarding the fan stuff, I think it's pretty clear that he does alot of things over and above what you might consider good for business.

Watch any video blog where hes standing in a street mobbed by hundreds of fans giving out tickets, This is just one of a number of things he does, that he really doesn't have to. He's very hands on with the fans. You won't find many people in such a position doing stuff like that.

We all know Dana has a nasty streak and if you piss him off You'll know about it, but he also had a lot of time for people he meets.

Your "just not likeable at all" comment is very OTT, especially as you say you don't really follow MMA and the UFC that much.

I don't think hes a Saint either. Regarding the fan stuff, I think it's pretty clear that he does alot of things over and above what you might consider good for business.

Watch any video blog where hes standing in a street mobbed by hundreds of fans giving out tickets, This is just one of a number of things he does, that he really doesn't have to. He's very hands on with the fans. You won't find many people in such a position doing stuff like that.

We all know Dana has a nasty streak and if you piss him off You'll know about it, but he also had a lot of time for people he meets.

Your "just not likeable at all" comment is very OTT, especially as you say you don't really follow MMA and the UFC that much.

:thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Hey, fair enough. I don't think "not likeable" is OTT, however - I think calling him a cunt or a bad/evil person would be. I'm not making any judgments on him as a human being, just on what sort of face he presents to the public. I don't like him, mainly because I don't find him likeable, from all the interviews I've seen him in (I've not seen loads, but in the several I have seen, he just seems like a bit of a wanker). And like I say, I don't like his business ethics in terms of how he deals with his fighters. I know fans usually aren't bothered about such things, but it really jars with my own, personal politics - it's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Vince either.

Archived