Strikeforce: Fedor vs Henderson Discussion Thread

David

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i think Hendo's up there though, being a two division champion in Pride, a Grand Prix champion, the Rings King of Kings Champion, Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion. You can't really argue against them credentials. Henderson's time at the the top surpasses Liddell's. Liddell might have had a great streak 04-06 but Henderson has never had that career end slump that Chuck suffered.

His success in bouncing between weight divisions has been as succesful as Randy's too. If Henderson defeats Fedor that'll mean he's gone through 3 divisions and beaten a top guy in every one.

It's so hard to break down records and say what is better but i think when people look back at the top American MMA fighters from the original period of the sport Dan Henderson has to sit near the top....fuck, give it 2-3 years and we might be saying he was the best, Henderson's got a couple of fights left in him yet.

He hasnt had a slump but he has never been dominant like Couture and Liddel were at points in their career.

Liddel from the first Tito fight in 2004 until the Rampage fight dominated who he fought and that included Couture, Ortiz and Babulu who were all legit top 10 opposition. Couture was top 5 and maybe in 2004/2006 so was Tito. Babulu was not far of either.

Also up until 2007, Rampage and Couture fights aside, Liddel never came up short in the big fights of his career. Where as Hendo lost the majority of his, also in his prime Hendo would occasionally lose to people like Misaki, Lil Nog and Arona who were good fighters but not all time greats. Liddel in his peak from 2002- 2007 would only lose to guys like Rampage and Couture, but would still win the majority of his biggest fights and stumble to guys like Belfort and Overeem.

Hendo's biggest win was against Silva like I said above, that was the only time I think he beat someone you could argue was the best in the world at their weight class. Couture beat a prime Rizzo, a prime Ortiz, a prime Liddel, and two top 10 HW who outweighed him greatly. All these fights he dominated and the first three at the time were ranked close to number one in the world.

Hendo is terrific dont get me wrong, but he is a tier below Liddel and Couture in my opinion, even if he does beat Fedor who is in a slump. Hendo in my eyes is probably on par with guys like Forrest Griffin and Rich Franklin, maybe the amount of titles Hendo has won puts him above them, but in terms of who he has fought and beat in terms of quality at the time, I say he is on par with both of them.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

we could discuss the little intricacies of the records all day, there's no real conclusion. I think you make some valid points though, but in my opinion Henderson sits right next to those guys.

There is no chance Henderson is on the same level as Forrest.

I think what possibly 'hurts' Hendo, and why he isn't considered on a par with Chuck and Randy is because so many of his achievements have been outside the UFC. I truely hate using terms such as 'hardcores', but to those who have been following the sport for a long time and watch more than just the UFC, the guy is already a legend and will one day be in an MMA Hall of Fame. To the general UFC fan what/if anything will he be remembered for? The knock out of Bisping probably. Heck, I'd even forgotten about the Rich Franklin fight prior to checking out Hendo's wiki to see what titles he had won.

You can argue as well that his credentials are far superior to Chuck and Randy because he fought most of his career in Pride (head stomps, soccer kicks legal), whilst they stayed (bar Chuck's one foray) stayed in the UFC. Additionally, he has the Rings King of Kings and a Brazilian Vale Tudo tournament win on his resume to go alongside his Pride titles, Strike Force belt and UFC tournament win.

Had Henderson stayed with the UFC, bounced around the divisions, won multiple titles I feel he would absolutely be seen in the same vein as Chuck and Randy. The fact that he fought so much outside of the promotion is why he isn't, and I don't know if a victory over Fedor would change things too much. To the 'hardcores' he is already a legend and this would only add to the legacy, would the 'casuals' even be watching the fight?

• Paid Members

full results.

Main Event:

265 lbs.: Fedor Emelianenko (223) vs. Dan Henderson (207)

Main Card (Showtime):

135 lbs.: Marloes Coenen (135) vs. Miesha Tate (135)

170 lbs.: Paul Daley (171) vs. Tyron Woodley (170)

185 lbs.: Tim Kennedy (185) vs. Robbie Lawler (185)

170 lbs.: Tarec Saffiedine (170) vs. Scott Smith (171)

Preliminary Card (May not be televised):

155 lbs.: Bobby Green (155) vs. Gesias Cavalcante (155)

135 lbs.: Alexis Davis (136) vs. Julie Kedzie (135)

170 lbs.: Eduardo Pamplona (170) vs. Tyler Stinson (171)

185 lbs.: Derek Brunson (186) vs. Lumumba Sayers (184)

265 lbs.: Bryan Humes (266) vs. Gabriel Salinas-Jones (260)

The main event will be historic because it will show Fedor's place in modern American MMA. Either he has a career resurgence after beating Hendo and carves out a decent run, or gets beaten and probably retires off that. Fedor's a bit of an anomaly. How many fighters ever have talked about retirement after losing twice?

EDIT: Holy hell. Coenen is freaking gorgeous! I really don't want to see her get punched in the face :(

• Paid Members

Coenen or Tate? Both are nice looking, if I'm gonna nitpick Tate has a bit of a Triple H beak and Coenen is a bit too ripped for me. But I'd happily do a Jon Fitch and lie in their guard for 15 minutes ;)

I'll go with Tate, she has a better body, not really into the six pack look on girls. Then again Coenen is better off her back. It's a tough one.

Oh and on the fight, I got Coenen by round 4 sub

• Paid Members

Coenen is the most unlikely looking female MMA fighter ever, she reminds of that teacher at school that all the boys would wanna nail. I'd destroy em both (i meant they'd destroy me). It'll pain me to see them punch each other in the face.

Gotta be better than the Carmouche/Kaufman fight, eeeeesh.

Archived