Who will be the next top face/megastar in WWE?

humanracer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably Del Rio he has done great in less than a year of being there and isn't bad to watch. Hes one of the best in the ring today and a great heel. I hope they finally give him a shot with the title though he has more than deserved it. It just gets frustrating seeing him fall back into a feud with Mysterio every few weeks. Similar to Miz, Del Rio has made the most of what hes been in despite the bad booking

• Paid Members

Aside from the obvious choice of CM Punk, I've said for an age Sheamus would and will make a fantastic badass babyface. Alberto Del Rio bores the hell out of me minus Ricardo, but as a babyface I think he might be able to be this generation's Eddie Guerrero.

People keep naming Miz here, but I'm not convinced he'll be able to translate his current character all that well to play a babyface, much like Edge before him. I think he's better off staying heel.

Weirdly I think R-Truth might make quite a good babyface when he turns next, should they not go back to his signing and dancing character. He won't be the next top face, but he'd definitely be a lot of fun.

• Paid Members
Leakee from FCW has the look that they cream over for babyfaces in particular, if he can work to a decent level then I see him getting a hefty push.

If that happens I hope they change his name. It makes me need a piss every time I read it :(

Like pretty much everybody else is saying it has to be Punk, with the Comicon stuff he's as close to a new Austin as this generation is going to get, he's natural on the mic whereas other seem forced and it just makes him come accross as a far more believable badass. If they don't screw this up and see the potential this angle between him and Triple H has this could be a cracking year. I haven't watched WWE programming in so long because I just wasn't enjoying it so I'm playing catch up on who should be going places. I think the more important question is who would be the number 2 babyface, who'll play the Savage to Punk's Hogan? And thats where I fluster because if I were a 9 year old kid watching it it's hard for me to see who I'd want my next hero to be. Miz could be great, if Sheamus got a new gimmick he could be good too. I think that Ryder will get a push this year but I don't think they'll be ready to get him in to main event territory. What're everybody elses thoughts?

I've yet to hear a credible reason why Punk might break the mainstream consciousness in the same way Hogan and Austin did.

I'm not saying he won't, I just can't see why he's any more likely to than other main eventers of the last decade.

• Paid Members

I don't think he will break the mainstream consciousness either. But I don't nessecarily think that he has to. WWE are too concerned with the mainstream. I have American friends and they say that WWE is mainly looked upon as trashy entertainment like NASCAR and even when it's been incredibly popular it's still ignored by the vast majority of the mainstream media.

All I want CM Punk to be is an exciting, popular and dynamic main eventer. We've been missing one for years and he's the guy to finally fill those shoes.

I've yet to hear a credible reason why Punk might break the mainstream consciousness in the same way Hogan and Austin did.

I'm not saying he won't, I just can't see why he's any more likely to than other main eventers of the last decade.

he just strikes me as a breath of fresh air, he's as believable as Hogan and Austin in that "everyman fighting against the system" way. Wheter he'll get as big as that I don't know but I see there being a boom period if they can start to appeal to adults to the same level as they did during the attitude era. I mean, it's got my interest already and I've not properly watched any WWE programming in ages, just the odd youtube clip. Now I'll be wanting to see what happens after the comicon stuff.

• Paid Members

I cant see there ever being a boom period in 2011. I can see the television getting better and maybe an increase in the ratings, but a boom period is getting carried away. There wasnt even a boom period when Batista and Cena broke on the scene. I've got confidence in the storylines again which is good for me as a viewer, but asking for a boom period is asking way to much.

I cant see there ever being a boom period in 2011. I can see the television getting better and maybe an increase in the ratings, but a boom period is getting carried away. There wasnt even a boom period when Batista and Cena broke on the scene. I've got confidence in the storylines again which is good for me as a viewer, but asking for a boom period is asking way to much.

Even if it wasn't a boom, just more folk finding it acceptable to watch wrestling instead of it being seen as trash like LaGoosh said or for kids like most non-fans think. Just to get new fans interested would be a start.

CM Punk could be the greatest, most charismatic wrestler in the history of the world, and WWE could be putting out its best television shows ever, and Punk still wouldn't break into the mainstream consciousness to any significant degree unless they actually do something to draw Punk, and wrestling itself, to the attention of the mainstream. Hogan broke the mainstream firstly through Rocky 3 and then through the cross-promotion with MTV/Mr. T/Cyndi Lauper/everyone involved in the first WrestleMania. Austin only truly broke the mainstream because of the angle with Mike Tyson and the fucking superb promotion of the "Attitude" concept which was right on the button of what the young male demographic wanted in 1998. To turn a wrestler into a true household name, and a mainstream celebrity outside of their own show, WWE has to do more than put on a good show and give the guy a push. They need to get people other than existing wrestling fans watching that show to begin with. They haven't even managed to make John Cena a big deal in the mainstream, despite more than 5 years of constantly pushing him on their show, him working all the outside appearances, chat shows and whatever else he can, them funding his album and numerous movies...

I can see absolutely no reason to think CM Punk will have more mainstream success when he gets far less support from the WWE publicity machine. His character and image do chime with current pop culture a lot more than Cena does these days, but I don't think WWE and the people who run that company have their finger on the pulse enough to exploit that in any meaningful way. Even if they did, they'd need to invest some serious time and money in getting Punk's name and image out into other areas of popular culture, probably through the same cross-promotion tactics that worked so well in establishing Hogan and Austin.

WWE itself is the brand these days, not a particular star. I'm sure the business will change again eventually, it always does, but in the current environment there are a lot of reasons why we aren't going to see a star like Hogan, Rock or Austin develop, no matter who comes up through FCW.

Archived