Who will be the next top face/megastar in WWE?

humanracer

Wrestling will NEVER be seen as anything more than enjoyable trash, because it isn't. I enjoy watching it, but it's hardly going to suddenly get picked up by HBO. I don't think WWE even consider changing that outlook, they just want more viewers, or to entice back old viewers.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Pro Wrestling at this point is long past the point where it can have another boom period. Things have been too similar for too long now for me to think that a major change in philosophy, or even a large swing in general acceptance will happen. As a couple of others have said, WWE is the leading draw now, not a particular wrestler, and without a clear star you can't make anyone a megastar. WWE seem to want it that way, due to them having more control. They may not ever reach the peaks of 85-89, or 97-2000 again, but they may also not ever go much below where they are now, and as it stands with Vince at the helm, I believe he is happy with that.

Therefore I don't see anyone else becoming a top babyface in the near future (say next 3-5 years) unless something serious happens to Orton and Cena. I think guys will look like they are going to climb up to join those two in the ivory tower, and some may well do so for a while, but I wouldn't be expecting them to stay there.

Even if it wasn't a boom, just more folk finding it acceptable to watch wrestling instead of it being seen as trash like LaGoosh said or for kids like most non-fans think. Just to get new fans interested would be a start.

CM Punk making references that only make sense to us lot isn't going to do either of those things, though. It just makes us lot more excited.

It's not a case of wrestling being seen as 'trash' by people, it actually is trashy entertainment. Trying to transcend that is going to do nothing to attract new fans, and the shift it would undoubtedly cause in the core product would probably alienate the traditional fans.

In terms of a sustainable business model, WWE is far better off embracing their niche and trying to entice back the people that once enjoyed said niche. It's never going to be acceptable to watch wrestling amongst people that don't watch wrestling.

It's another reason why Vince loves the patriotism angle, it's part of the niche that they've created.

Someone said about big money needed to push Punk but I think something like Twitter can be a great promotional tool. For example, I saw Hayley Williams post about watching Punk vs. Cena at Money In The Bank. She must have a lot of followers who will see her updates and might become curious as to what the fuss is about. There's a lot of impressionable sorts following celebrities. Its not going to single handedly push someone into the mainstream but its essentially free publicity.

Besides Punk. I think Sheamus could carry a top face spot, I would like him to be the top face on Smackdown. He got the 2nd biggest pop of the night at Money In The Bank behing Punk, and has improved quite a bit since his lacklustre title runs.

I would ideally love Daniel Bryan to be a top face, but it will be a up hill battle for him. He is actually very good on the mic, watch that segment where he tore strips into Cole last year. That was quite tremendous. I can see him being in a Jericho/Beniot postion in the next few years, occasional main eventer but mostly in the upper mid card.

Daniel Bryan's been saddled with a rubbish character or lack thereof. He can cut a good promo if given the opportunity and the right character for it. It seemed like part of his character was to play up to having no character strangely and play up to the idea that he's a geek. I suppose that's like his initiation and now he's successfully carried it through they might give him a better character.

Someone said about big money needed to push Punk but I think something like Twitter can be a great promotional tool. For example, I saw Hayley Williams post about watching Punk vs. Cena at Money In The Bank. She must have a lot of followers who will see her updates and might become curious as to what the fuss is about. There's a lot of impressionable sorts following celebrities. Its not going to single handedly push someone into the mainstream but its essentially free publicity.

Her and Punk are best mates and have been tweeting each other for ages, if that was going to make him the next Austin, it would've done it by now.

Archived