Amy Winehouse dead

Psygnosis

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I was in the midst of what was (for me) a terribly painful break-up. Some of my worried friends dragged me out and encouraged me to drown away my sorrows with drink, to which I agreed. I was there in a bar getting slaughtered to ease my pain, and the woman in question waltzed in happy as Larry and started talking to / flirting with all my friends. I was so angry, that I needed to release some of my tension somehow. I could never ever lay a harmful finger on a woman, and it would have been unfair of me to attack any of the other patrons in the pub, but I was so mad that it had to be done to release a portion of my anger / agony at the situation.

I was swiftly jumped on by the bouncers, roughed up and chucked out. At which point I headed to the bridge to jump off. Someone had died jumping off the bridge previously so I was pretty confident of my chances at succeeding with the suicide. My best friend chased me town, tackled me, attempted to mop up my face with a bandanna and forcibly dragged me to his house and locked me in. I thanked him in the morning.

It

It really is fucked up how it takes a celebrity to die for society to seemingly question how addiction is dealt with. Addiction is quite obviously an illness, linked with depression and whatnot. I've dealt with both alcohol and mephedrone addiction, not a very fun experience, the reason I didn't seek help sooner was the fact that I thought I would suddenly be termed either a "junkie" or an "alky". Not great descriptions obviously. If Amy Winehouse's death changes societies perception of addiction then good on her.

*stands and applauds* This is the absolute key point.

What point? No two people suffering from mental health or addiction difficulties are the same? I never disagreed with that at all! :rolleyes:

What I don't understand about the Quagmire/LoKi viewpoint is what if Winehouse had scraped through the other night and she found the strength to seek help and overcome her problems. It's a perfectly reasonable hypothetical, but we'll never know. Why should she be criticised for not having the luck to survive a few near death scrapes before a potential recovery. I'm sure everyone who's had similar issues realise they could have kicked the bucket before they eventually clicked and cleaned up. It's a terrible shame when anyone dies and misses the chance to live a happy life.

In such a hypothetical, I would say Whinehouse finally found something within her to realise that her lifestyle choice was going to end up with her dead at a young age. Better late than never for it to come for someone like her thankfully. However getting back to reality, she lived in denial for years about her problems even though she went to clinics several times. I would assume she was not ignorant about the dangers of what she was doing either. If she wasn't capable of processing that, someone close to her should have, it's not as if she lived in isolation.

The silly semantic argument about the word tragedy is particularly wrong when you think about the Greek and theatrical origins of the word. It actually applies far more to Amy Winehouse than it does to the Norway massacre.

:crazy: I reckon you should put down Heat magazine for a moment.

So should we learn to treat the likes of Winehouse with the same contempt and loathing that we reserve for street junkies? Or should we treat homeless, pissheads and smackheads with the same empathy and understanding that we reserve for junkie popstars?

Like David I would hope for the latter. However one important thing is that Winehouse would have been wealthy enough to have access to the best addiction treatment programmes and units in the country if not beyond. The street junkie you see out of the corner of your eye would be very unlikely to have such access available to them.

I'm mearly pointing out that you are shifting the goal posts to suit your argument. Not content with the actual definition of tragedy, you prefer you own meaning.

I don't see how I'm shifting goalposts, just pointing out that what I consider a tragedy and what you consider it is different and that there is no actual, universal or legal definition of what is meant by a tragedy. And quite clearly I'm not alone in my views about it.

Not that I agree with it 100%, but you could say that addiction is a sympton of a greedy and decadent society.

Some of it is I'd say when we live in a society that seeks more short-term gratification and rampant hedonism, but substance addictions have been around for as long as humans have been. There's plenty of stories over the centuries about it all. What may be more telling is that more people are suffering from addictions and mental health problems because of the demands and expectations being placed on them compared to not too long ago.

People ignore my posts far too much.

But, in summary of what I pointed out earlier, substance use doesn't lead to addiction. The existence of an addictive personality leads to substance abuse.

People choose to take drugs for a lot of reasons (some to cope, some to dull pain, others to just have a larf) but the common denominator is that the people who struggle to dislocate that transient moment in time from the rest of their lives, and continue to use substances, are ones whose personality predetermines a form of addiction in their lives.

A fair point, though some substances are much higher risks at leading to addictions, heroin and Crystal Meth being two of the more obvious ones where as others carry a generally lower risk like cannabis. If tobacco only just came on to the streets today, its use would likely be restricted.

A bit of a side note but i just turned on Challenge TV in which someone has decided to air an episode of 8 out of 10 cats where Sean Lock makes a joke about Amy Winehouse dying. Although i assume they may have not realised this but it is still in bad taste

Archived