TNA's standout star

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

In the Steve Austin/Samoa Joe thread Loki said this:

Anyway... I wonder if Austin's been watching some "Best of TNA" DVDs or something. You have to wonder how he could watch TNA's current product and think Joe is the standout star.

Which has led to me thinking who ARE the standout stars of TNA's current product?

I suspect Bully Ray's going to get a lot of love here, so to avoid him dominating the answers, I'm gonna ask the secondary question of who's the standout star who's never wrestled full-time for WCW or WWE?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
In the Steve Austin/Samoa Joe thread Loki said this:

Which has led to me thinking who ARE the standout stars of TNA's current product?

I suspect Bully Ray's going to get a lot of love here, so to avoid him dominating the answers, I'm gonna ask the secondary question of who's the standout star who's never wrestled for WCW or WWE?

I was going to say AJ Styles, but even he's wrestled for WCW and had try-outs in WWE.

• Paid Members
Joe was magnificent during his first year or two in TNA. After his feud with Angle he seemed to go down hill. Around the time he was "kidnapped".

Wasn't his kidnapping only at the beginning of last year? If so, his fued with angle was way before that, pre MEM. I'd say his going downhill started when he drew a cock on his face and started dressing like an extra from mad max.

• Paid Members

I've slightly altered the secondary question to say "full-time WWE/WCW employment", so the likes of Roode, Joe and co can all count if you wish to name them.

Overall I'd say the stand out for me at this present time is Bully Ray, he's a fantastic character and I really enjoy watching him each week.

As far as a non WWE/WCW full-timer goes I think I'd go with Robert Roode. He's a character they really should have capitalized more on in the past, but hopefully over the next year they'll give him an opportunity to feud with one of the bigger stars in a singles feud to see how he fares.

• Paid Members

Aside from AJ, over the last couple of years Bobby Roode has stood out for me and looked like he could be the most likely of the TNA guys to take a step up to the next level. I think he could easily fill and upper mid-card role in WWE; decent on the mic, great look and a decent hand in the ring to boot. Apart from him I think James Storm could also be successful but maybe not as much as a stand out talent.

• Paid Members

Beer Money, MCMG, Kurt Angle, Bully Ray, Scott Steiner, AJ Styles & Austin Aries.

Everybody else are either not working hard enough, too old to be good in the ring (Sting, despite being great at other things), don't wrestle (Hogoff) or blend in too much.

• Paid Members

Stings the star of the show. He'll always be the star of the show for better or worse. He has been since 2006, and it doesnt matter who is in the promotion, all roads lead to Sting either winning the belt or being involved in the headline program. Doesnt matter if its Jeff Jarrett, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Mr. Anderson, Rob Van Dam, Jeff Hardy, Christian, Hulk Hogan, it all leads them wrestling Sting in the main event. He always main events Bound for Glory. He would have last year as well if Hogan wasnt in hospital. Dixie Carter must have been saved and the Stinger may have allowed God into her life or something, because Sting is the man in TNA and always will be. Its Stings company. Everyone else just lives in it.

The standout star, in the sense that I meant it, is definitely Robert Roode. When you watch an episode of Impact, the one guy who jumps out who's not an ex-WWE main eventer is Roode. To be fair, both he AND Storm are excellent and would do well in WWE, but Roode just screams "wrestling star". He'd have been eaten alive by wrestling fans in the 80s.

I think everyones been covered but;

Beer Money, MCMG and Styles.

I do think there was a time where Pope could have been included as a standout star, but the ball has been well and truly dropped. I'm also loving Bully Ray

• Paid Members
Agreed on Madison Rayne - sure she might not be the best in the ring but i think she would get over as a heel in WWE for her promos and the fans would hate that whinny voice she puts on.

I think they'd react less than you think considering WWE already has Vickie and she's far better at it.

Honestly, Madison Rayne as the stand out star? MADISON RAYNE?

It has to be Bobby Roode, really. Styles is one of the best at his style but his tyle oft doesn't involve drawing you in and making you care about him. Roode, on the other hand, is a character I'm genuinely interested in seeing do well.

If he doesn't win the BFG series it's a crime.

Archived