Cruiserweight Title

Lucha Britannia

Just looking at WWE's current roster, seems like a perfect time to have the Cruiserweight belt back. Sin Cara, Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd, Trent Baretta, Justin Gabriel, Curt Hawkins (needs to be used more!), The Uso's, Heath Slater, JTG, Daniel Bryan, Yoshi Tatsu could all be part of the division and give alot of them something to actully do!

Or is it a case of too many belts already (personally I would ditch the US title) and Vince never seemed to have a great deal of love for the cruisers.

What do you think?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is it doesnt distinguish from the IC or US title anymore, WWE cruiserweight matches dont have a particular or different style, if they put emphasis on doing that then it may work. Plus I get the impression WWE dont like the term cruiser, junior, light etc as it automatically lavels a wrestler a certain way. I think they want their entire roster to be in a position to work up the card regardless of their size.

To be fair I would like to see it return but it just wouldn't work in my opinion. There have been in recent history quite a few "cruiser's" who had won the World Heavyweight Championship, take Rey Mysterio for example, Eddie was another. Plus like has been said the cruiserweight's don't do the style of cruiserweight matches that we would want.

• Paid Members

If they centered a division around Sin Cara, which would seem likely as they are set on pushing him and making him click and focused on a lucha style it could certainly distinguish itself from everything else on the show. And if they pushed it like they did the Light-Heavy division in 1997, with Taka being at the divisions foundation, bringing in Juniors from Japan to highlight his talents, if the same was done with Sin Cara it could be an interesting experiment.

I agree that i reckon WWE don't like the terms Cruiserweight, Light-Heavyweight or Junior Heavyweight as they highlight the fact they're smaller and they probably think that projects inferior too. They'd need to cement they're own title like they have with 'Diva' and really like TNA did/have with the X Division.

To be fair with Trips getting a bit more into the development side and with word Averno is coming in I might change my mind because surly Trips knows what the fans want.

Do you really think many fans give two shits about a cruiserweight division? Justin Gabriel vs The Skinny Uso for the cruiserweight title nine weeks in a row isn't going to draw any more viewers than Gabriel and Slater vs both Usos (in a Best Of We Need To Fill TV Time series) for no belt nine weeks in a row. A cruiserweight title would make no odds whatsoever, except perhaps if they did use it as a vanity belt for Sin Cara to try and keep him wrestling opponents that hide his weaknesses.

Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler have a belt they fight over every week, and that's not fooling anyone into thinking they're doing something worthwhile.

• Paid Members

There's such a ridiculous amount of filler that WWE throws on TV for no reason, a cruiserweight belt seems like the last thing they need at the minute. The current belts are passed around like nobodies business. A belt where its very definition is that is defended by people you dont care about would be pointless in todays world of WWE. WWE didn't push the cruiserweight division when they had half of WCW and ECW's roster under contract in 2002. They'd probably care even less in 2011.

I was thinking this the other day but WWE won't change the style because either everyone would expect crusierweight style matches or it would be seen as below them as just about every other wrestling fed has wrestlers who do these kind of matches so from the WWE point of view if they also offered this than it may bring them down a level and to an extent look unprofessional which I can sort of agree with if the WWE is deemed to be the top level in wrestling.

WWE tends to try and deliver its best matches at PPV's or more so WrestleMania and make it a rare occurrence to make the matches more meaningful.

If they allowed them

Who?

to do it in theuir style,

What style?

I'm assuming you mean WWE employing loads of Tuggy McSomersaults and letting them do a flippy, storyless style. If there's ten other wrestlers doing that, Sin Cara and his two left feet seem even less special. That's the thing with wrestling. If you've got no character and your only strength is your technique, you'll stand out more if you're not surrounded by a roster of wrestlers with the same technique as you.

and put it on par with the US/IC titles in ther place on the card, I beleive it coujld work n get over

Nobody cares about the US and IC titles as it is. Doing something with those belts to make people care should be more important than adding another belt purely for Dem Wans to masturbate over for a second and then complain that it's being underutilised.

• Paid Members

A cruiserweight title's only worthwhile if the heavyweight title is actually kept in the domain of heavyweights, and the cruiserweight strap is pushed as a genuine alternative but for the differing weight class and not just a lower-card title for smaller guys.

To be honest, I quite like all the guys working their way up through the Intercontinental and U.S. titles onto the WWE and World Heavyweight Championships.

The same people clamouring for a C/W title are the same people who, a few months after it's created, will be complaining because the title has been wasted, and then moan that the title is gone. So lets just cut out the middle man and forget this discussion ever took place.

• Paid Members
The same people clamouring for a C/W title are the same people who, a few months after it's created, will be complaining because the title has been wasted, and then moan that the title is gone. So lets just cut out the middle man and forget this discussion ever took place.

That pretty much sums it up and quite what I was trying to get at. If the Cruiserweight Championship was re-instated, it wouldn't be as a genuine title and just used to put the smaller guys into programmes with each other.

• Paid Members
There's such a ridiculous amount of filler that WWE throws on TV for no reason, a cruiserweight belt seems like the last thing they need at the minute. The current belts are passed around like nobodies business. A belt where its very definition is that is defended by people you dont care about would be pointless in todays world of WWE. WWE didn't push the cruiserweight division when they had half of WCW and ECW's roster under contract in 2002. They'd probably care even less in 2011.

Surely that's a double-edged sword though?

If the filler wrestlers were fighting over something then maybe people would care about them. It did wonders for people like Jamie Noble, Billy Kidman and Chavo Guerrero. I remember when I used to watch Smackdown on Sky 1, back in 2001/2, the Cruisers were some of the best stuff on there, because the belt meant something. If Chavo Classic vs Billy Kidman or whatever happened for no reason I doubt I would have.

Archived