Cruiserweight Title

Lucha Britannia

• Paid Members
So does that mean that if "my friend" wanted to publically call them both cunts in a post "they" would have to wait a week to hear a angry response?

Well, I'm pretty sure Kenny hasn't been suspended and nor should he have been.

calling someone stupid isn't in the same league as implying they're a pedo. That said, suggesting PITCOS doesn't like wrestling is hilariously mental.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
There's such a ridiculous amount of filler that WWE throws on TV for no reason, a cruiserweight belt seems like the last thing they need at the minute. The current belts are passed around like nobodies business. A belt where its very definition is that is defended by people you dont care about would be pointless in todays world of WWE. WWE didn't push the cruiserweight division when they had half of WCW and ECW's roster under contract in 2002. They'd probably care even less in 2011.

Totally agree, would love to see the cruisers back on TV in a meaningful division. WWE needs to take a leaf out of TNA's book and hold their own 'Destination X' style PPV... could even bring in a few ROH guys if there really is some sort of working relationship between the two?

PITCOS actually made a LOT of good points in the post he made. If he never came out with all of the stupid shit it'd have been a pretty good post.

The problem is that he always jumps to the biggest conclusions. Nobody said "hey, should WWE bring back a Cruiser division, and then stick it on Superstars and treat it like shit?". No. That wasn't the discussion, but he jumps in with a million reasons why it's doomed from the start, and who cares because only workrate fappers care about them anyway.

It's a silly, one-sided answer.

Duke, regarding your points....

The Michaels comparison is more to the point that if he came along now, he'd be a Cruiserweight, and as such A) probably wouldn't be hired in the first place, as they only have a few guys of that size on the main roster, and B) if they did happen to sign him, a thriving cruiser division would allow him to shine and get over, where as he'd otherwise possible find himself in the Jobber To The Stars role that the likes of Bourne and Kidd get. No titles to reach for, no long feuds to get you over, just the "and his opponent, currently in the ring...) treatment.

I entirely agree that both the US and IC belts needed serious rehab, but in theory, there is no reason why a cruiser belt could draw interest and get wrestlers over, just as those two neglected divisions should be.

• Moderators

Duke: McBride was calling Sev a paedo for years in his sig. Although that did give us the awesome poster Houchen made portraying McBride as a paedo.

Rick: Didn't know actually, so don't put words in my mouth. I assumed the two arguing would go on holiday.

Might be an idea changing titles to suspended when someone is. Like a Welsh Not.

• Paid Members
Rick: Didn't know actually, so don't put words in my mouth.

I thought you'd seen that Kenny had posted well after me and were being facetious.

Apologies.

Nowt wrong with a good argument either. When you get close to the line, stop.

The paedo stuff just washes over me these days. And I reckon anyone who can get so angry and insulting towards people who enjoy a style that isn't the mainstream's definition of worthwhile clearly isn't as big a supporter of the sport as you'd think. It's like a film "fan" getting mad at anyone who says they wish studios would stop putting so much money in Michael Bay's pocket and maybe throw a wee bit more the way of new young directors with a different vision. Sure, they might not be to everyone's taste but maybe with a bit more promotional effort they might be and then the standards and variety could improve across the board, thus helping the industry overall. Let's not forget that WWE turns off a LOT more people than it turns on (and probably more than it has EVER turned on). McMahon's homogenisation of the industry has more or less killed the business worldwide. Anyone who can't see that clearly isn't as smart as he thinks.

• Paid Members
Duke: McBride was calling Sev a paedo for years in his sig. Although that did give us the awesome poster Houchen made portraying McBride as a paedo.
Fair point. But to be fair,that came from seven making the same cracks Kenny's way, so it's a bit more justified.

Duke, regarding your points....

The Michaels comparison is more to the point that if he came along now, he'd be a Cruiserweight, and as such A) probably wouldn't be hired in the first place, as they only have a few guys of that size on the main roster, and B) if they did happen to sign him, a thriving cruiser division would allow him to shine and get over, where as he'd otherwise possible find himself in the Jobber To The Stars role that the likes of Bourne and Kidd get. No titles to reach for, no long feuds to get you over, just the "and his opponent, currently in the ring...) treatment.

I entirely agree that both the US and IC belts needed serious rehab, but in theory, there is no reason why a cruiser belt could draw interest and get wrestlers over, just as those two neglected divisions should be.

Ok I follow you more now on the micheals front now. If we assume the ideal, that they would use all the titles as well as possible. In that case, a cruiser title would be tedundant. The rosters are SO small these days that having a cruiser title on top would be total over kill.

Years? You'd be lucky if it lasted more than a week. It was a joke which, when Seven complained about it, I changed. And the poster Keith made was in a totally different context regarding discussion about the problems in the Church. Otherwise, great point. :thumbsup:

Ok I follow you more now on the micheals front now. If we assume the ideal, that they would use all the titles as well as possible. In that case, a cruiser title would be tedundant. The rosters are SO small these days that having a cruiser title on top would be total over kill.

Oh, I agree that (more than likely) WWE wouldn't do a very good job of it right now. Like I and others have said The IC and US belts should be the first things sorted out. Their booking from the top titles down leaves a lot to be desired still. That doesn't make it a fundamentally bad idea though.

If Pity had just said that, rather than all the "workrate fapper" "pedo" shit that he spouts at the drop of a hat, he might not have been suspended.

• Moderators
Years? You'd be lucky if it lasted more than a week. It was a joke which, when Seven complained about it, I changed. And the poster Keith made was in a totally different context regarding discussion about the problems in the Church. Otherwise, great point. :thumbsup:

It made me laugh, and that's what's really important.

The rosters are SO small these days that having a cruiser title on top would be total over kill.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't be adverse to a Superstars title which is non-canon to Raw and Smackdown. There's really good things going on that show, and I'd rather see them do something with the talent there than bring new fellas in for a light heavy title and cast the solid superstars talent to the side.

• Paid Members
To be honest, I probably wouldn't be adverse to a Superstars title which is non-canon to Raw and Smackdown. There's really good things going on that show, and I'd rather see them do something with the talent there than bring new fellas in for a light heavy title and cast the solid superstars talent to the side.

I think that's what they should do with the US or IC title - shunt one of them down to Superstars and make it the programme's "resident" title. And put it on Masters, McIntyre or Ryder.

• Paid Members
It made me laugh, and that's what's really important.

YEah, I'd back that. Although you just want Masters to get some gold.

Their booking from the top titles down leaves a lot to be desired still. That doesn't make it a fundamentally bad idea though.
I think you misunderstand me. If we make the assumption that they'd book everything correctly then the cruiser title wouldnt be of any use because they wouldnt need it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the only reason that a new title seems like a good idea now is because the other titles are no good.

Thgat's the problem. IF we can trust them to book the titles, the cruiser title is uncessary, if we can't, there's no point.

• Moderators
YEah, I'd back that. Although you just want Masters to get some gold.

And that. I was actually thinking of a superstars round robin that'd propel Chris Masters to upper midcard when I was walking to the pub yesterday afternoon.

McMahon's homogenisation of the industry has more or less killed the business worldwide.

Really? So before McMahon wrestling was a huge and popular industry that made billions of dollars worldwide, and now it's not?

I don't think that really ties in with the history of wrestling in the last 20 years as far as I can see. In the 80s and 90s wrestling transformed from a locally-focussed live entertainment spectacle to a huge TV ratings-winning and PPV-selling multinational business that has made plenty of people into millionaires. And that is undoubtedly down to Vince McMahon and his vision for the product.

Now I'm not saying there wasn't wrestling in various parts of the world before-hand, successful in its own area. But in creating and marketing stars that are recognisable in hundreds of countries around the world, the WWF got there first and has done it best.

I wouldn't know where to look for statistics on this, but I'd be willing to bet that more people go and see wrestling live every week, both in the US and Worldwide, than they did in the 70s.

Archived