WWE on Bloomberg Enterprise

LWOLeN

June 30 (Bloomberg) -- "Bloomberg Enterprise" profiles wrestling entertainment company WWE Inc. Bloomberg's Melissa Long talks with WWE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Vince McMahon about the company's competitive advantages and the global appeal of wrestling. (Source: Bloomberg)

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/71724446/

20 min. long with Vince, HHH and Stephanie talking about WWE as a " business". Very interesting.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Vince has changed his tune hasnt he? I remember years ago when they said "you have on competition" and he said "our competitors are shows like American Idol and The Simpsons". Now he's saying he has no competitors. If he has no competitors, post WCW did he ever have any? Great watch though. Everything Vince does is watchable. He's top man as always, especially on shows like this.

• Paid Members
June 30 (Bloomberg) -- "Bloomberg Enterprise" profiles wrestling entertainment company WWE Inc. Bloomberg's Melissa Long talks with WWE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Vince McMahon about the company's competitive advantages and the global appeal of wrestling. (Source: Bloomberg)

But it's not wrestling!

Fascinating watch, very rare to get that sort of insight from the McMahons, you can tell they are trying to sweeten people up for their TV network.

Ian hitmanhart, he says there are no direct competitors and he is correct. There is nothing that offers what they do.

They have indirect competitors in sports, entertainment shows, wrestling shows, films etc but theres no other company that offers such a wide range as them.

• Paid Members
Fascinating watch, very rare to get that sort of insight from the McMahons, you can tell they are trying to sweeten people up for their TV network.

Ian hitmanhart, he says there are no direct competitors and he is correct. There is nothing that offers what they do.

They have indirect competitors in sports, entertainment shows, wrestling shows, films etc but theres no other company that offers such a wide range as them.

Again, thats not what they were saying when they were saying about 8 years ago. I never asked what their competition was. I said his tagline has changed from about a decade ago.

I cant really remember what he said 8 years ago but I do remember them seeing shows like South Park, American Idol etc as competition, its just he was very specific this time around about saying there was no direct competition, direct meaning a competitor that offers the exact same product as them.

• Paid Members
I cant really remember what he said 8 years ago but I do remember them seeing shows like South Park, American Idol etc as competition, its just he was very specific this time around about saying there was no direct competition, direct meaning a competitor that offers the exact same product as them.

She started a sentance and he jumped in with "we have competition?" I never saw the hint about her meaning direct competition at all. As he said in the very sentance which he shot down the idea that UFC (who regularly competes with them in the PPV market), they are an "entertainment brand". Of course WWE has competition, whether its on PPV, whether its the magazines, toys and DVD market (which he was happy to pigeon whole in with the similarities between his WRESTLING promotion and all the other entertainment brands out there). I'm surprised your arguing the opposite. I'm surprised your even putting energy into arguing about something which doesnt need arguing to be honest.

She started a sentance and he jumped in with "we have competition?" I never saw the hint about her meaning direct competition at all. As he said in the very sentance which he shot down the idea that UFC (who regularly competes with them in the PPV market), they are an "entertainment brand". Of course WWE has competition, whether its on PPV, whether its the magazines, toys and DVD market (which he was happy to pigeon whole in with the similarities between his WRESTLING promotion and all the other entertainment brands out there). I'm surprised your arguing the opposite. I'm surprised your even putting energy into arguing about something which doesnt need arguing to be honest.

Of course they do, I wouldnt deny that. But if you watch it again, he does make a point of saying direct competition when saying they dont have any, rather than just general competition.

so what if they start up the WWE Network then? Would Raw/Smackdown and all the shows move over then? How do they fill say 12 hours a day of programming? Classics, roundtables, documentaries etc?

Really interesting watch though, thanks!

• Moderators
so what if they start up the WWE Network then? Would Raw/Smackdown and all the shows move over then? How do they fill say 12 hours a day of programming? Classics, roundtables, documentaries etc?

Lots of repeats. Probably the same 4 hours or so over the day, which is fine by me.

So fucking frustrating when they talk of it not being wrestling...George Barrios: "part rock concert, part soap opera, part cirque du soleil" as if all of this variation didn't exist in 'wrasslin' before they thought of it. Of course it did! Ugh their corporate attitude is horrible.

Then Steph goes onto say 'Not many people know that Abraham was a professional wrestler'. I thought they weren't a wrestling company. What a load of bollocks.

Also Vince denying it being a 'family business' - even though he inherited it off his Dad before fucking over the territories and despite the fact it'll be passed on to Steph and Hunter when he goes.

I also love how Vince just skirts over the Benoit incident saying that could happen in any line of work. Conveniently forgetting about the other numerous guys that have died whilst in the company or not long after leaving. I know this wasn't that kind of interview but I'd love someone to give him a proper grilling about all of that.

Really interesting watch though, thanks!

Im not sure, depends what length deals they have with USA and whatever Smackdown is on now.

Theyd probably go for atleast one episode of original programming a day i.e Monday Raw, Tuesday Tough Enough, Wednesday NXT, Thursday Superstars, Friday Smackdown etc. Fill the rest with old stuff, repeats, recap shows, documentaries, stuff from the tape library and other stuff.

• Paid Members
So fucking frustrating when they talk of it not being wrestling...George Barrios: "part rock concert, part soap opera, part cirque du soleil" as if all of this variation didn't exist in 'wrasslin' before they thought of it. Of course it did! Ugh their corporate attitude is horrible.

Then Steph goes onto say 'Not many people know that Abraham was a professional wrestler'. I thought they weren't a wrestling company. What a load of bollocks.

Also Vince denying it being a 'family business' - even though he inherited it off his Dad before fucking over the territories and despite the fact it'll be passed on to Steph and Hunter when he goes.

I also love how Vince just skirts over the Benoit incident saying that could happen in any line of work. Conveniently forgetting about the other numerous guys that have died whilst in the company or not long after leaving. I know this wasn't that kind of interview but I'd love someone to give him a proper grilling about all of that.

He purchased it off his old man actually.

Yeah, the whole thing is full of BS. But they're all workers, so you'd expect it too.

Triple H comes across like somebody you'd want to have a pint with again. All their main eventers (even including Hogan, Austin, The Rock, Foley, Jericho etc) are pros at coming out of interviews looking like top blokes.

Archived