Good Guys In Wrestling

• Paid Members

I was reading Shane Helms comments on Shawn Michaels this morning, comments I'm inclined to agree with, having heard from other sources that even after finding God Michaels can be a little cunt when he wants to be. The point is that Michaels is one of the greatest if not THE greatest in-ring performer I've ever seen. And he's not the only wrestling great to be a complete turd outside of the ring - R.Flair & D.Kid are just two that spring to mind.

So there are many guys that plenty of people have a bad word for, but are there any guys that you've only ever read praise for? The only ones I could think of were Owen Hart, Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan (although apparently HTM has a beef with Heenan over something he said about Harley Race). Any other candidates for genuine nice guys in the business?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Chris Benoit was always seen as a nice bloke, so its impossible to say without knowing them. Just because you refuse to put someone over or your a shit worker doesnt make you a bad bloke. Then you have the likes of Steve Austin who beat his wife, Bret Hart was a serial womanizer and drug user (and even worse judges other people for it), Ric Flair's been said to be a complete cock behind your back, but the nicest bloke in the world to your face. But most respect these three, even though they've done stuff that wouldnt make me want to be pals with them in real life.

Its worth mentioning in 2007 Dave Meltzer said the two people most "charming people" (to your face of course) and the ones who do the most charity work away from wrestling without publicity to it is Goldberg and Hulk Hogan. I've read Goldberg is the nicest and down to earth man ever from reading interviews, yet a lot of wrestlers dont like him because "he took his gimmick seriously", which is pretty subjective in the real world I'd say. DDP's supposed to be a top bloke. The Rock's supposed to be a cool bloke as well. Although they could all be complete shitheads behind the scenes.

• Paid Members

Sting seems to have everybodys respect. The worst stories about him are he couldn't be arsed towards the end of his WCW run. Seems like a top bloke who gets what being a wrestler is about. Maybe the smartest man in wrestling too, given how well off he is for how little his schedule is/was.

• Paid Members
Sting seems to have everybodys respect. The worst stories about him are he couldn't be arsed towards the end of his WCW run. Seems like a top bloke who gets what being a wrestler is about. Maybe the smartest man in wrestling too, given how well off he is for how little his schedule is/was.

Didn't he put someone up in his hotel room whilst they were waiting a contract from WCW in the mid-1990s? Alex Wright seems to be on my mind, was it him?

Terry Funk, perhaps.

I've never heard anyone talk shit about him on any of the shoot interviews I've seen. He also seemed to have no problem walking in and out of practically any promotion he fancied, which would lead you to assume he was liked and respected by most promoters and was easy to deal with.. From what I understand he's been married to the same woman for yonks too, and has a regular family life at home.

I've met various wrestlers (as no doubt many of us have) during the earlier FWA days, but even then that's not entirely accurate as its only a single meeting.

However I will say that out of all the wrestlers I met; Chris Hero, Dlo Brown and Too Cold Scorpio came across as lovely blokes. However the most professional by far was Sheamus.

• Paid Members

You never hear a bad word said about Taker.

Andy Coyne: Yeah, D'Lo Brown is sound too, as is Sheamus. Both class acts. AJ Styles and Doug Williams are cool too, IMO. Never hear a bad word about them.

• Paid Members
I've read Goldberg is the nicest and down to earth man ever from reading interviews, yet a lot of wrestlers dont like him because "he took his gimmick seriously", which is pretty subjective in the real world I'd say

There's a couple of anecdotes I've heard this. One is Raven's about trying to teach Goldberg how to sell, and Goldberg responding that he wouldn't sell if he got beaten up for real. The other one is Lance Storm - can't remember the context, but Goldberg said something like "I'm not doing that because it wouldn't happen in a real fight", and Storm replied "well in a real fight if you went for the spear I'd just knee you in the face." :laugh:

• Paid Members

Didn't he put someone up in his hotel room whilst they were waiting a contract from WCW in the mid-1990s? Alex Wright seems to be on my mind, was it him?

Yeah, I remember hearing that too.

I was watching Bill DeMotts shoot the other day and he puts over Sting huge on it - saying when DeMott won the US title, Sting went out of his way to apologise for not making it to the ring to celebrate (all the midcard babyfaces went to the ring to celebrate the win) because he was busy doing his own thing and nobody told him DeMott was winning. A nice gesture, considering he didn't have to breath the same air as DeMott if he didn't want to.

Archived