UFC on Versus #4: 'Kongo vs Barry' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

other than a rather drab John Howard/Matt Brown fight it was a good night of fights, the prelims were solid too.

Good performance by Brown though, like he stated himself it was all about a win for him, he was on his last legs and he did what he needed too. John Howard is now flirting in dangerous territory, he could very likely be cut. I like Howard but considering he's meant to be a muay thai expert, you never actually outstanding standup from him, other than some decent leg kicks Brown was the better fighter on the feet.

Thoughts for Fight of The Night? Round 1 of Oliveira/Lentz and Round 3 of Brenneman/Story were the best rounds but it's hard to pick a single standout fight.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thoughts for Fight of The Night? Round 1 of Oliveira/Lentz and Round 3 of Brenneman/Story were the best rounds but it's hard to pick a single standout fight.

Dana just tweeted it is the Oliveira/Lentz fight that got it, that was for sure my FOTN as well. It was a good night of fights.

• Paid Members
Matt Mitrione vs Christian Morecraft

This is a pretty evenly matched fight on paper. Meathead's had some good performances, especially the win over Joey Beltran. I actually like Morecraft in this fight though. He's bigger, younger, slightly more experienced, more well rounded imo. His only loss is Stefan Struve and he was giving Struve a rough night before he got KO'd. He probably has the advantage on the ground and I think he'll exploit that.

Morecraft Decision

:duh:

Mitrione all the way

:thumbsup:

haha yeah shows what I know. Meathead was really impressive and has been improving nicely but I dunno what it is about him I always get the feeling he's gonna lose. Glad to see him pull out a nice KO though. Would love to see Meathead vs Kongo next.

• Paid Members

Good show overall.

Really enjoyed Oliveira/Lentz. Great fight. Hope to see more of this out of Lentz. To be fair before the Winner fight he had some decent fights so maybe that was just a blip. Excellent fight though, shame about the knee controversy hopefully they do a rematch soon.

Chuffed to see Tyson Griffin snap his losing streak. I honestly think once Griffin gets settled in at 145 again he could be a serious contender. There's no real weakness to his game I just think he was undersized a bit at lightweight. There's potential for some cracking fights at FW for Tyson.

Joe Stevenson was the opposite. Thought he looked fuckin awful. For someone who needed a strong win as desperately as he did you'd think he'd really wanna go out and put on a show. It really seems like his desire to fight is gone and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets cut off this performance. He only has himself to blame to be honest.

Charlie Brenneman scoring the upset was a nice surprise. He's really put himself on the map with this win. Before this he'd never been on a main card and here he was in a co-main event and he pulled out a very solid win over a tough opponent who was getting pretty high up the ladder at 170.

Story's style reminds me of Diego Sanchez with how he's got good striking, grappling, aggression etc but he has problems with strong wrestlers who can avoid his strikes and stay out of subs. Be interesting to see who they match Brenneman up with next.

Kongo vs Barry was as crazy a 2 minute fight as you will ever see. I thought for sure it was over after the second knockdown on Kongo and just as I thought Barry had him he got laid out bad. I couldn't believe it. Kongo seemed to actually want to keep it standing from the start too which kinda surprised me, I think everyone expected him to take him down.

Craziest finish of 2011 so far. Still got Diaz vs Daley as round of the year though.

I've been a huge fan of Mitrione ever since the TUF finale I look forward to all of his fights and I'm sure he'll start fighting on main cards soon but he gasses easily. A Roy Nelson fight next would be a good shout for Meathead.

• Paid Members

Dana just tweeted it is the Oliveira/Lentz fight that got it, that was for sure my FOTN as well. It was a good night of fights.

i thought the finish might stop em from getting it. Nice little reward for Nik Lentz though.

I disagree with the no-content, the fight should of been resulted in a DQ. Its an illegal knee to a downed opponent. Any news whts happening to the ref cos he was a dope

It can't be deemed a DQ unless the fight is stopped at that point though. Look at Bisping vs Rivera. If Rivera had said he couldn't continue he would have won by DQ. Then look at Jones vs Hamill where he couldn't continue after the illegal strikes and hence won by DQ.

Obviously this is slightly different because the ref messed up, but there is no other way it can be ruled other than a no-contest due to not knowing whether Lentz would have been able to continue after the knee.

Archived