UFC on Versus #4: 'Kongo vs Barry' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was about the weight, Dana would have said it was about the weight, but apparently the medical team have said they're keeping it private and Dana White has declined to talk about it. As someone else has said, it could be something like Hepatitis

If it was about the weight, Dana would have said it was about the weight, but apparently the medical team have said they're keeping it private and Dana White has declined to talk about it. As someone else has said, it could be something like Hepatitis

The person who did the medical has said he expects him to fight again soon though, so I can't see it being anything like that.

The person who did the medical has said he expects him to fight again soon though, so I can't see it being anything like that.

He said that himself too, so that is very true. It is very odd. More will come out regarding this in the next 24-48 hours I hope

He said that himself too, so that is very true. It is very odd. More will come out regarding this in the next 24-48 hours I hope

Yeah, the most likely thing now is that he was carrying an injury which he tried to cover up. They found the injury in the medical and told him he couldn't fight.

• Paid Members

Man this is sa strange situation.

Like swift said I'm guessing Nate had an injury and hid it until the pre fight medical checks. Failing that and fucking up the main event 24 hours before the show would piss Dana off royally.

Reminds me of the way Parisyan was let go a couple of years ago.

• Paid Members

I was really hoping they'd bump Griffin/Gamburyan to the main card when I saw Nate was out. I'm not gonna be able to stream the prelims tonight and that fight is actually the one I'm most interested in. Have to find it tomorrow.

• Paid Members

Predictions for tonight?

Cheick Kongo vs Pat Barry

I am rooting for Barry but I see Kongo winning this pretty easy. If he wouldn't stand with Paul Buentello and Heath Herring he's not gonna stand with Barry. I'm expecting Kongo to clinch up, knee the spuds a bit, takedown and TKO with elbows and punches. Barry's not shown enough improvement in his grappling for me to think he can keep it standing.

Kongo TKO Round 1

Rick Story vs Charlie Brenneman

Last minute change a lot of times favours the underdog if the past is anything to go on. I still fancy Story to win this one though. Brenneman's got the wrestling to make it hard on Story but I think Story will overwhelm him with aggression and finish him. Brenneman got TKO'd by Johny Hendricks and Story has a similar style to Hendricks. I see it going the same way, especially with Story being in such form lately coming off beating Alves.

Story TKO Round 2

John Howard vs Matt Brown

This is a tough call. Both guys pack some decent power in their strikes. But on the ground I'd give the nod to Howard. Brown's not bad at submissions but he's had a habit of getting caught in subs himself, infact his last 3 fights were all submission losses. Think this might be the best fight on the main card.

Howard Sub Round 3

Matt Mitrione vs Christian Morecraft

This is a pretty evenly matched fight on paper. Meathead's had some good performances, especially the win over Joey Beltran. I actually like Morecraft in this fight though. He's bigger, younger, slightly more experienced, more well rounded imo. His only loss is Stefan Struve and he was giving Struve a rough night before he got KO'd. He probably has the advantage on the ground and I think he'll exploit that.

Morecraft Decision

I'm hoping for Tyson Griffin and Joe Stevenson to pick up wins too. I think both guys could be good at the weight and bring some name recognition to the division.

Predictions for tonight?

Cheick Kongo vs Pat Barry

I am rooting for Barry but I see Kongo winning this pretty easy. If he wouldn't stand with Paul Buentello and Heath Herring he's not gonna stand with Barry. I'm expecting Kongo to clinch up, knee the spuds a bit, takedown and TKO with elbows and punches. Barry's not shown enough improvement in his grappling for me to think he can keep it standing.

But hasn't Barry spent the entirety of his camp for this fight at Lesnar's Deathclutch gym? Can't help but feel his wrestling, takedowns and his takedown defense will have improved tenfold if that is indeed the case.

Saying that, I also think Kongo will edge it - despite me wanting Barry to win.

This is a pretty evenly matched fight on paper. Meathead's had some good performances, especially the win over Joey Beltran. I actually like Morecraft in this fight though. He's bigger, younger, slightly more experienced, more well rounded imo. His only loss is Stefan Struve and he was giving Struve a rough night before he got KO'd. He probably has the advantage on the ground and I think he'll exploit that.

Morecraft Decision

:duh:

Mitrione all the way

Video following Marquardt yesterday, showing that he was 170.8 lbs at 11am in the morning and didn't look drained or anything either.

Morecraft Decision

Mitrione all the way

Gotta agree with Wand on this one, I'm picking Morecraft aswell for similar reasons.

Video following Marquardt yesterday, showing that he was 170.8 lbs at 11am in the morning and didn't look drained or anything either.

Morecraft Decision

Mitrione all the way

Gotta agree with Wand on this one, I'm picking Morecraft aswell for similar reasons.

It's gonna be interesting to find out what the deal with Nate is. Apparently there is gonna be something regarding it on the pre show, and I read on Twitter that the doctor who did the medical is talking about it at some point in the day too.

Matt Mitrione has been awesome since he left the TUF house. I'm all for a meat head win

Archived