UFC on Versus #4: 'Kongo vs Barry' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Thought I'd get this up with it being only a couple of weeks away and it's been pretty overlooked.

ufc-on-versus.gif

barry-kongo_large.jpg

MAIN CARD

Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo

Rick Story vs Charlie Brenneman

John Howard vs. Matt Brown

Matt Mitrione vs. Christian Morecraft

PRELIMINARY CARD

Manny Gamburyan vs. Tyson Griffin

Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vazquez

Joe Lauzon vs. Curt Warburton

Rich Attonito vs. Daniel Roberts

Nik Lentz vs. Charles Oliveira

Matt Grice vs. Ricardo Lamas

Edward Faaloloto vs. Michael Johnson

Good little card. With the latest injury and Kampmann pulling out from the Howard fight I wouldn't mind them switching it up and moving the Gamburyan/Griffin fight to the main card over Howard/Brown. Both be good fights but I'd rather see Gamburyan/Griffin tbh, I'm interested to see how Manny bounces back from the Al

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please let Lentz vs Oliveira be Facebooked. I really want to see how Oli bounces back after the loss to Miller, the kid's a beast.

Matt Brown is ballsy, he's lost 3 straight and is taking a fight against Howard on short notice. Had to think he had a better chance of beating Attontio, his UFC roster spot is in serious jeopardy.

Story seriously impressed me at 130, he showed skill in every area against Alves, as well as a hell of a chin. Definitely has a good chance of beating Marquardt if the weight cut didn't go well for him.

• Paid Members

Yeah I fancy Story to beat Marquardt. Nate was huge at 185, if he was ever gonna change weight class I thought he'd go up not down. He might seriously drain himself trying to make 170. And Story has the kinda style that will wear on you over a long fight.

Think Kongo will beat Barry too :( Anytime Kongo is in against a good striker he goes into his old clinch against fence, hold shorts, knee spuds into a fine paste routine. I expect he'll finish Barry with ground and pound within a couple of rounds but I hope Barry can pull it off.

I really hope Joe Stevenson can get the W against Javier Vazquez. He's 0-3 in his last three fights, surely another loss would see him cut from the UFC. I've always kind of had a soft spot for Joe Daddy ever since BJ fucked him up back at UFC 80 :laugh:

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm a big fan of Tyson Griffin. He's been on a nightmare run lately but I'm not writing him off. He's lost his last 3 but they were a pretty competitive decision to Evan Dunham, then he got caught early by Gomi.

He dropped a split decision to Nik Lentz last time out but I've yet to see that fight and from what I've read most people including Dana White had Griffin winning.

I'm hoping he does good at 145 cause he could be a monster at the weight and with his wrestling he could be a good opponent for Aldo down the line. Again though tough first fight at the weight.

• Paid Members

interesting card...

the Marquadt/Story fight is a big one, if Story wins that i think he can legit. claim to be close to the no.1 contender spot...and if Marquadt wins he'll confirm right away that he's a force at 170. As for the fight, it's tough to call, if Marquadt has made the cut properly i think he has the savvy and experience to use Story's aggression against him, but Story's the kind of guy that can bewilder fighters, not many people cope well against someone who presses like him. It's 50/50 for me but i think Marquadt might edge it.

Kongo/Barry. On paper this looks awesome but i guarantee Kongo will take Barry down and punish him from the top position, it's gonna be an easy night to Kongo.

Howard/Brown. Could very well be a loser leaves town fight, 5 consecutive losses between em. Props to Brown for stepping up, i think it's a winnable fight for him though he aint gonna want none of Howard standing but if he drags this thing to the ground he's got a great shot...i'll predict Brown via sub. late in the fight, with Howard getting his marching orders.

Mitrione/Morecraft. Think this will be short and sweet, im predicting Mitrione via KO which hopefully see's him step up the ladder a little. Morecraft has proven that he aint afraid to stand and duke it out though so it should be fun.

This is on a sunday night so im hoping i can view the whole facebook thing as well, they'll probably include the whole undercard. Some good shit on there too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Quote from Marquardt on the cut to 170

"I hadn't really thought about [dropping to welterweight] because Georges is the champion there and a teammate and a good friend," he said. "Once he said I should consider it, I really thought about it. My weight was already lower, and I was feeling better. ... I knew it was the right thing for my career."

"I feel like I could hold the title at 185 pounds, but for me, it's more of a natural weight to fight at 170 pounds," he said. "If I ever did go back to 185, I wouldn't put on extra weight on purpose. I have more energy for practices. I just feel better."

So would he seriously consider a move back to 185? Right now, it's not on his radar, he said.

"The way I'm looking at is this a permanent move," he said. "But if I got a fight with someone like Michael Bisping

• Paid Members

As is becoming the trend, UFC will be streaming all the prelims for this on Facebook :thumbsup:

this is what we're getting

145 lbs.: Manny Gamburyan vs. Tyson Griffin

145 lbs.: Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vazquez

155 lbs.: Joe Lauzon vs. Curt Warburton

185 lbs.: Rich Attonito vs. Daniel Roberts

170 lbs.: Charlie Brenneman vs. T.J. Grant

155 lbs.: Nik Lentz vs. Charles Oliveira

145 lbs.: Matt Grice vs. Ricardo Lamas

155 lbs.: Edward Faaloloto vs. Michael Johnson

Manny/Griffin, Stevenson/Vazquez & especially Lauzon/Warburton are the ones I'm looking forward to most. Absolutely stacked prelim line-up though, this time a year ago you could easily see Manny, Griffin, Stevenson & Lauzon all on the main card.

Big fan of Lauzon but I'm hoping Curt can win that one.

interesting card...

the Marquadt/Story fight is a big one, if Story wins that i think he can legit. claim to be close to the no.1 contender spot...and if Marquadt wins he'll confirm right away that he's a force at 170. As for the fight, it's tough to call, if Marquadt has made the cut properly i think he has the savvy and experience to use Story's aggression against him, but Story's the kind of guy that can bewilder fighters, not many people cope well against someone who presses like him. It's 50/50 for me but i think Marquadt might edge it.

Kongo/Barry. On paper this looks awesome but i guarantee Kongo will take Barry down and punish him from the top position, it's gonna be an easy night to Kongo.

I'd agree with these two predictions.

In my eyes the winner of Marquadt/story should fight the winner of the rumored Penn/Sheilds fight crowning a well deserving no1 contender to fight gsp or diaz for the ww title.

Edit: god knows where this would leave fitch but he's bein a little bitch saying he only wants big fights with either penn or gsp...doesnt look like he's getting either anytime soon, he should fight another contender to keep active and try to generate more interest for a possible title shot..maybe condit if he beats kim

Kongo/Barry is a nice HW matchup with the winner edging into the UFC top 10

Archived