UFC on Versus #4: 'Kongo vs Barry' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
interesting card...

the Marquadt/Story fight is a big one, if Story wins that i think he can legit. claim to be close to the no.1 contender spot...and if Marquadt wins he'll confirm right away that he's a force at 170. As for the fight, it's tough to call, if Marquadt has made the cut properly i think he has the savvy and experience to use Story's aggression against him, but Story's the kind of guy that can bewilder fighters, not many people cope well against someone who presses like him. It's 50/50 for me but i think Marquadt might edge it.

Kongo/Barry. On paper this looks awesome but i guarantee Kongo will take Barry down and punish him from the top position, it's gonna be an easy night to Kongo.

I'd agree with these two predictions.

In my eyes the winner of Marquadt/story should fight the winner of the rumored Penn/Sheilds fight crowning a well deserving no1 contender to fight gsp or diaz for the ww title.

Edit: god knows where this would leave fitch but he's bein a little bitch saying he only wants big fights with either penn or gsp...doesnt look like he's getting either anytime soon, he should fight another contender to keep active and try to generate more interest for a possible title shot..maybe condit if he beats kim

Kongo/Barry is a nice HW matchup with the winner edging into the UFC top 10

Not sure if Shields will (or should) get another title shot after just 2 fights, especially ahead of Fitch. IMO Shields would have to win both these fights in spectacular fashion to go back to being the No1 contender given his performance against GSP. With regards to Fitch being 'a little bitch', he's on a tear & is in the position where he should be getting big fights, not being used as a potential stepping stone.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
interesting card...

the Marquadt/Story fight is a big one, if Story wins that i think he can legit. claim to be close to the no.1 contender spot...and if Marquadt wins he'll confirm right away that he's a force at 170. As for the fight, it's tough to call, if Marquadt has made the cut properly i think he has the savvy and experience to use Story's aggression against him, but Story's the kind of guy that can bewilder fighters, not many people cope well against someone who presses like him. It's 50/50 for me but i think Marquadt might edge it.

Kongo/Barry. On paper this looks awesome but i guarantee Kongo will take Barry down and punish him from the top position, it's gonna be an easy night to Kongo.

I'd agree with these two predictions.

In my eyes the winner of Marquadt/story should fight the winner of the rumored Penn/Sheilds fight crowning a well deserving no1 contender to fight gsp or diaz for the ww title.

Edit: god knows where this would leave fitch but he's bein a little bitch saying he only wants big fights with either penn or gsp...doesnt look like he's getting either anytime soon, he should fight another contender to keep active and try to generate more interest for a possible title shot..maybe condit if he beats kim

Kongo/Barry is a nice HW matchup with the winner edging into the UFC top 10

Not sure if Shields will (or should) get another title shot after just 2 fights, especially ahead of Fitch. IMO Shields would have to win both these fights in spectacular fashion to go back to being the No1 contender given his performance against GSP. With regards to Fitch being 'a little bitch', he's on a tear & is in the position where he should be getting big fights, not being used as a potential stepping stone.

I don't doubt fitch deserves a rematch but with him being injured and not wanting anyone other than penn/gsp he's in risk of pulling a 'rashad' and getting left behind as other contenders fight on and raise their stock, its clear Dana is always looking for another option instead of giving fitch the shot. Fitch is a great technical wrestler but he doesn't set the world on fire, fighters who are on a tear finishing fights will always be given priority on title shots as they put bums on seats.

I'm hoping Condit wins impressively at 132, moving him to a fight with Shields, who has been subpar in both his UFC fights. Penn and Fitch can re-match in San Jose as the co-main under Velasquez vs JDS. I'd put the winner of Marquardt vs Story against the loser of Penn vs Fitch. The winner of Penn vs Fitch would face the winner of GSP vs Diaz for the WW title... shit, the top of the division is getting busy! So potential upcoming welterweight fights:

Carlos Condit vs Jake Shields

BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch

Rick Story vs Jon Fitch

BJ Penn vs Nick Diaz (just because I don't need to see Penn vs GSP or Fitch vs GSP again)

• Paid Members

bummer about the Brenneman fight, i was looking forward to that :( sucks for the guy too, he was on MMAjunkie the other day and stated that he'd personally sold 300 tickets for the event as it's in his hometown, he must be gutted.

oh anyone read about Spike counter-programming this show with a Nate Marquadt marathon!!?!?!? what the fuck!

bummer about the Brenneman fight, i was looking forward to that :( sucks for the guy too, he was on MMAjunkie the other day and stated that he'd personally sold 300 tickets for the event as it's in his hometown, he must be gutted.

oh anyone read about Spike counter-programming this show with a Nate Marquadt marathon!!?!?!? what the fuck!

Guess there were plenty looking forward to the Brenneman fight after all!

Read about the Marquardt marathon on Spike; Versus shouldn't have anything to worry about. No one in there right mind would want to watch that Nate/Ivan Salaverry fight again.

Is this definitely still being shown on ESPN?

The Sky programme guide for the timeslot now shows the programme blocked out as "To be confirmed"... which is strange, and not something you usually see...

:confused:

The guide has changed to show the correct listing now.

Yeah its almost like the Spike officials want people watching Versus instead of themselves, very odd. May as well have just put on a Tank Abbott marathon, though that would've got a higher viewing. :laugh:

At least with Tank you get the Matua and Nelmark KOs, see Vitor light him up and get the Taktarov fight. There is absolutely nothing instantly memorable (that is positive) for Nate bar the Maia KO.

Yeah its almost like the Spike officials want people watching Versus instead of themselves, very odd. May as well have just put on a Tank Abbott marathon, though that would've got a higher viewing. :laugh:

At least with Tank you get the Matua and Nelmark KOs, see Vitor light him up and get the Taktarov fight. There is absolutely nothing instantly memorable (that is positive) for Nate bar the Maia KO.

Really?

What about Marquardt KO of Gouveia I had the honor of witnessing this in person and it remains one of my favorite finishing combos of all time.

And also Marquardt TKO Kampmann another great TKO

• Paid Members

Marquardt vs Joe Doerksen is a really fun forgotten fight too from UFC 58. I really liked Nate vs Gouveia too and Nate vs Thales Leites was good although marred by the screwy decision.

But yeah theres no doubt he chokes when he starts getting big fights. he's the 185 version of Kenny Florian. Walks through most of the division then has a rough time in contender/title fights.

Really?

Really. Marquardt bores the pants off me.

Archived