Mr Hughes

A name that rarely gets a mention is Mr Hughes. He was a rarity in that when wwf broyght him in yhey kept his wcw gimmick. His run didnt last long. What do u think of him & why do u think he never made it back to wwf or wvw before it died (or even ecw). He was Huge and could move, for a while i thought he was the new Bossman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One of the worst wrestlers ever if you really think about. Nobody (Sting, Steiners, Steamboat) could make this scrub look good. Had about 5% of the talent of the Boss-Man.

Good gimmick though. Awful wrestler.

I didn't mind him in the early 90s, but i'm easily pleased and I like my fatboys. :)

He was a pretty bad looking mother, and as somebody said, he moved well for a big guy. I remember some of his squashes being fun and he had a mean big boot, which is always a plus.

Can't remember any great matches against name guys but his suqashes weren't the worst, and I recall his shortish matches vs Marty Jannetty and sky-blue-Owen as being fun.

When he came back in 1999 with Jericho he just looked ill.

I remember finding it a bit weird that he started feuding with the Undertaker before the Giant Gonzalez one was blown off. Did the Giant temporarily leave at some point post WM9 (or KOTR, i remember a qualifying match vs Tatanka) and return prior to Summerslam or something?

I remember being over in the states in the early 90s and seeing him squashing someone in the WWF, and thinking "fucking hell, what a mean looking bastard". Between then and this thread I don't think I've ever heard him mentioned!

• Paid Members
I remember finding it a bit weird that he started feuding with the Undertaker before the Giant Gonzalez one was blown off. Did the Giant temporarily leave at some point post WM9 (or KOTR, i remember a qualifying match vs Tatanka) and return prior to Summerslam or something?

Good point. I remember they started a feud between Wrestlemania and KOTR when he attacked Paul Bearer during an Undertaker match, and nicked the Urn.

He then came out on WWF Superstars every week doing squash matches (making a name for himself too, I was quite impressed as a 9 year old) and that's about it. Don't think he had a blow-off match with him.

Wasn't Gonzales's last match the Raw Battle Royal for the vacant I-C Championship, shortly after he turned face?

Hughes was originally supposed to face Undi at SS, but suffered an eye injury during the summer (his glasses cracked during a house show) so they had to exhume to Giant Gonzalez feud.

• Paid Members

I wish I could remember, but I can't think of who it was, either way there has been a couple of shoot interviews which have ripped him to shreads, along the lines of, he always forgot spots, never helped a wrestler when his opponent was attempting a move (never jumped), and was pretty bad at not protecting wrestlers.

Again, sorry I can't remember who said the above.

I agree though, he looked mean as hell

• Paid Members

I'm sure I read somewhere during the Jericho-Shamrock fued, Shamrock nearly shooted on Hughes after a run in when Hughes began to work quite stiff with his beatdown.

Guy's 90's run wasn't so bad, but the whole with Jericho thing was pretty poor.

Archived