Who is the most responsable for Hulkamania?

AJS269

Who is MOST responsable for Hulkamania?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As any wrestling fan knows, the mid-to-late 80's were the peak of Hulkamania, one of the main reasons that people watched wrestling was to see Hulk Hogan, my question is who was the most important factor, Hogan who's charisma got the character over? Or Vince who booked him as a major unstoppable force?

I wasn't around at the time, so I don't know and couldn't comment.

I picked both cos there is no way Hogan could of got as big as he was without Vinces help but Hogan had the Talent to make what he was giving work

I picked both cos there is no way Hogan could of got as big as he was without Vinces help but Hogan had the Talent to make what he was giving work

Same here. Hogan's look, charisma and ability would have got him over as a big star without Vince but I can't see Crockett or Gagne coming up with putting the man's face on everything from ice creams to T-Shirts.

Again Both, Hogan had become very over in the AWA as Hulk Hogan but was not Hulkamania hogan quite then. that was off the back of Rocky III and other appearances and quity frankly back then with less media outletts etc for people to see a movie star in there little hick town let alone one that could wrestle was a huge deal to them.

When Hogan went back to WWF in 1994 there marketing machine was just coming to life through vince mcmahon and really he took an already good product and made it great by pushing it to the moon. Seeing as I was only a baby when hogan rose up I cant really say how quick he became a megastar however I would say it took till Andre Vs Hogan till people started to see him as the big thing of the day in all areas of the media and that really was down to vince and mania 3 but couldnt have been done if hogan didnt have his look and charisma

i was like three when wm 3 happened but i cant really remember watchin wrestling till i was about 6 and even thou me and me brother had never watched wwf before we knew who Hulk Hogan was.

Neither. Hogan and McMahon are only responsible for negative things in wrestling. Hulkamania was really just about selling merchandise to the kiddies, it would've gone nowhere if it wasn't piggybacking on the momentum of Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat and Andre the Giant. In reality, though, it was clearly both of them. McMahon needed a talent that could carry his vision, and Hogan was the man for the job. Hogan was likely instrumental in Vince having that vision in the first place.

• Paid Members

I probably should have said both, but I said Hogan because Hulkamania was already rapidly building momentum before Vince got near it. I don't believe it took a genius to know what to do with Hulk Hogan by that point, but Gagne didn't seem to want to pull the trigger on him and Vince did.

Also while Vince may have pushed Hogan to the moon, Hogan was very much involved in the process behind the scenes, so yes both men are responsible (as are the supporting cast of Piper, etc) but it was more down to Hogan, IMO.

• Paid Members

What's with the sarky responses? Nobody in the thread thus far has made any issue of Hogan and Vince, nor have they denied the positivity of their impact at all.

For me, it was both - Hogan is one of the greatest workers of all time, with an almost unparalleled presence, charisma, look, and ability to hold the crowd in the palm of his hand. However, it's clear that, without Vince's unprecedented vision of going beyond just wrestling industry into pop culture and the various media of the time, Hulkamania wouldn't have gone any further than just the arenas Hogan was in, and wrestling wouldn't have come to the fore like it did.

Archived