Who is the most responsable for Hulkamania?

AJS269

Who is MOST responsable for Hulkamania?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I probably should have said both, but I said Hogan because Hulkamania was already rapidly building momentum before Vince got near it. I don't believe it took a genius to know what to do with Hulk Hogan by that point, but Gagne didn't seem to want to pull the trigger on him and Vince did.

Also while Vince may have pushed Hogan to the moon, Hogan was very much involved in the process behind the scenes, so yes both men are responsible (as are the supporting cast of Piper, etc) but it was more down to Hogan, IMO.

That's what I believed too. Didn't Vince let Hogan go prior to Hogan creating Hulkamania too? Hulkamania was running wild in the AWA according to Hogan...

I vote Hogan. Quite quickly too.

Vince. He's the marketing. Hogan was just the performer. Any other charismatic muscle-bound star could have taken his place.

Lex Luger possibly...?

• Paid Members
I probably should have said both, but I said Hogan because Hulkamania was already rapidly building momentum before Vince got near it. I don't believe it took a genius to know what to do with Hulk Hogan by that point, but Gagne didn't seem to want to pull the trigger on him and Vince did.

Also while Vince may have pushed Hogan to the moon, Hogan was very much involved in the process behind the scenes, so yes both men are responsible (as are the supporting cast of Piper, etc) but it was more down to Hogan, IMO.

That's what I believed too. Didn't Vince let Hogan go prior to Hogan creating Hulkamania too? Hulkamania was running wild in the AWA according to Hogan...

I vote Hogan. Quite quickly too.

Vince. He's the marketing. Hogan was just the performer. Any other charismatic muscle-bound star could have taken his place.

Lex Luger possibly...?

I said charismatic ;) But in all seriousness, that would have been interesting to see considering from what I know WWE tried to duplicate the success they had with Hogan with Luger in the early/mid '90s.

• Paid Members

Are you actually being serious?

Rhat's what I believed too. Didn't Vince let Hogan go prior to Hogan creating Hulkamania too? Hulkamania was running wild in the AWA according to Hogan...

No, it was Vince Snr, Hogan wanted to do Rocky III and he said no, something about if he did it he wouldn't work for him again. Hogan did the movie, Vince Jnr took over the company and we know the rest. But yeah, everything I've heard Hogan was big in AWA (and Japan too I think) before Vince brought him back and put the belt on him.

• Paid Members

"Superstar" Billy Graham was the base for Hogan's character, yet didn't get anywhere near the levels Hogan reached. It was obviously a collaborative effort between the two - Vince couldn't have done it with just anyone. Look at Tom Magee - by all accounts musclebound, charismatic, and even good-looking (something Hogan didn't have), yet didn't get past house shows.

I suppose Vince could've done it with Warrior, but Hogan had something Warrior didn't - sanity.

I've voted for both here

Going slightly off topic do you guys feel anyone else could have got so over in the time period Hulk did with McMahon's backing? I feel Dusty Rhodes had the charisma to make it work, maybe not as well as Hogan but I think he could have became a huge star under Vince (With the right booking ....)

• Paid Members
I've voted for both here

Going slightly off topic do you guys feel anyone else could have got so over in the time period Hulk did with McMahon's backing? I feel Dusty Rhodes had the charisma to make it work, maybe not as well as Hogan but I think he could have became a huge star under Vince (With the right booking ....)

Absolutely not, that's why stars like Hogan don't come along very often. It was a fluke that we got Austin and The Rock in the 90's.

• Paid Members
I've voted for both here

Absolutely not, that's why stars like Hogan don't come along very often. It was a fluke that we got Austin and The Rock in the 90's.

Disagree. Such stars were rare, but not non-existent. Warrior was on course to be the next Hogan - his popularity rivalled Hulk's, his imagery was just as iconic, and he had Vince behind him all the way until he fucked up. Macho was also mega-popular, and if Vince had had just a little more faith in him, the 80s could easily have been a parallel to the late 90s/early 2000s, with Savage being The Rock to Hogan's Austin.

Dusty Rhodes was awesome on the mike, and I think, had he not been in such terrible shape by the time he'd gotten to the WWF, he would've gotten backing to take him to the highest level, beyond the polka dots.

Also, I've always felt Flair would've reached Hogan levels if he'd joined the WWF earlier - Vince's ability to utilise the media was better than anything NWA/WCW did during the 80s, and Flair most certainly would've benefited from that.

One other: Roddy Piper. If he hadn't been so paranoid about jobbing, I'm sure Vince would've made him even bigger than he was - and he was iconic already.

It seems like I've named a load of people, but apart from those five, I don't really think anyone else could've been in the position Hogan was - all of them had Hogan's level of talent, I feel, and with Vince's faith, they could've reached the same levels.

Archived