WWE bringing back managers?

Courtesy of wrestling observer newsletter....

As noted before, WWE creative team member Michael Hayes will debut as Tyson Kidd's manager on this week's WWE Superstars. WWE had meetings recently and talked about reviving the manager role for some of their heels who can't talk on the microphone at the main event level.

So, good idea?

Personally, I think its great that they're thinking of reviving managers. Back in the 80s/early 90s managers like Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart and Sensational Sherri were vital in engancing the roles of the wrestlers they were linked with, in my opinion.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Courtesy of wrestling observer newsletter....

As noted before, WWE creative team member Michael Hayes will debut as Tyson Kidd's manager on this week's WWE Superstars. WWE had meetings recently and talked about reviving the manager role for some of their heels who can't talk on the microphone at the main event level.

So, good idea?

Personally, I think its great that they're thinking of reviving managers. Back in the 80s/early 90s managers like Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart and Sensational Sherri were vital in engancing the roles of the wrestlers they were linked with, in my opinion.

Is there anyone within the WWE that could do the 'mouth piece' managerial role at the moment though? I'd be scared they'd throw a diva or two in that position without giving much thought to it. So who could do it? Is there anyone they should 'bring back' to do this? Kevin Nash could make a very interesting manager to be honest, or even the likes of Finlay or even Steamboat as the kind of 'coach' manager...

• Paid Members

I'd love to see a return of managers, but Tyson Kidd seems completely out of his debth with someone like Michael Hayes by his side. Hayes could easily outshine him. He even looks more like a wrestler, and he has to be about 80 now. And they took Armando from Umaga because they thought he was getting to over and taking the shine off his charge. Where do WWE draw the line between someone helping the star and someone over shadowing the star. Michael Cole technically is the mouthpiece for Jack Swagger, but he's basically 90% of the tandem. You could put anyone in Swaggers place. Hayes himself was dropped from managing the Hardy Boyz because they thought he was to involved with them and replaced him with the much shitter Gangrel. TNA has the same problem, with Hogan and Flair being seen as the stars and the rest of Immortal looking like a bunch of flakes compared to them. For me, the ones who dont need to learn how to talk dont need a manager and the ones who need to learn how to talk could look even more shite if you put them with someone who could talk them out of the building. Its an odd balance. Could be a way to get Arn Anderson back on our TV screens though. Arn managing Skip Sheffield would be class.

Kevin Nash could make a very interesting manager to be honest

He managed the Motor City Machine Guns for a period.

Michael Cole would be a fantastic manager in my opinion.

Always felt Larry Sweeney [RIP] would have made a brilliant manager in WWE.

FCW's Maxine has been used in more of a speaking role during her time in developmental [and this is apparently where her strengths lie] so she may be good in that role.

I could also see Abraham Washington as a manager. Maryse too.

Oh, and William Regal would make a bloody brilliant manager in my opinion.

You've got Hayes with Kidd, Runjan with Khali and Cole technically with Swagger, William Regal would be a great manager/mouthpiece for somebody, same applies to Arn Anderson. I'm all in favour of bringing back managers as it states, it gives the 'Superstars' who cant talk a moutpiece to speak for them, Simples.

• Paid Members

This is certainly good news. Growing up as a kid it was the done thing and most of the guys with a manager in their corner always stood out and had extra credibility in my eyes.

It sets up mini stables too if guys like Hayes are to multi manage wrestlers. Another good thing.

Agreed on Cole, Seems the next step for him really.

• Paid Members

This is a no-brainer, brilliant idea. I've always been perplexed whenever it's been said that WWE feel that managers are out-dated. I think managers always have a place in wrestling, they can add so much to a match and help elevate talent- especially heels. Maybe a couple more of the road agents could take up a manager's role.

Fairly obvious but how about Michael Cole?

Have him removed from the commentary team against his will- be that through some match stipulation or a 'board decision' and have him form a stable to destroy the WWE. Instant motivation, newish storyline (not the power trip/hostile takeover situation that's usually been associated with most recent stables).

Recruits for the stable could be Jack Swagger (a given), Ziggler and Cody Rhodes (as a manager he should be able to transcend the brand split), possibly even Ted DiBiase. And as the focal point of the group, how about R-Truth? All of these guys have some reason to feel pissed off at the WWE and/or WWE Universe. I'd throw in The Miz given his and Cole's background but I'm not sure Miz needs the help.

I realise some of these guys can already talk a little but I've never believed that a wrestler should rely on their manager entirely to talk for them, just to take some of the burden.

And yes, I realise my 'newish' storyline is a blatant rip off of the reasons for the formation of the Dangerous Alliance but, hey, it's not pay off that counts, it's how you get there. There again, given the number of stables lately it's bloody unlikely anyway...

• Paid Members

The last manager WWE had that they used properly was Paul Heyman with Brock Lesnar. Granted it was nine years ago, but it's proof they can get the balance right when they want to.

I'm against female managers for the reason Bobby Heenan dislikes them, "There is no payoff". You can smack Michael Cole about but smacking Vickie Guerrero isn't really the done thing in 2011.

Archived