Your Top 5 BEST Movie Sequals

Steve Justice

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Home Alone 2. Easily my favourite film ever.

That's a Googlewhack if ever I saw one.

About 11,900,000 results.

11.9 million people to point and laugh at, splendid!

I couldn't actually find any direct matches. Too many words for it to be a googlewhack. I don't care anyway, I love it. When I saw it when I was 11, it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen in my life and I'll never shake that memory.

• Paid Members

Add me as another who enjoyed Home Alone 2 as a kid and therefore as an adult. The original is in another league but I'll always try and catch number 2 when Christmas comes around.

Plus it has Tim Curry in it.

"Do button up, it's awfully cold outside"

*wobbly lip*

Five don't spring to mind right away but Waynes World 2 is worth a mention for me as where by a lot of films are often a bit meh compared to the original i always thought this is as good if not better than the first film.

And on that note I'll also add Austin Powers in Goldmember. The Spy Who Shagged me was a bit meh, but Goldmember is fantastic.

"Can I paint his yoohoo gold?"

"How about no. You crazy Dutch bastard."

"Oh hello. I thought I smelt cabbage."

"Moley moley moley moley."

Why is every O.P. spelling 'Sequels' wrong.

Empire Strikes Back - Maybe a cliched choice but its a phenomenal sequel

Blade: Trinity - Its a bit marmite for some, I introduced it to 2 mates who had not seen it last week, one was aware of the criticism (one star Empire review/Snipes being unhappy with it) but they both enjoyed it particularly the Triple H parts ("Spit it out, you fucking fruitcake! "). Its no worse than the previous two and the comedy and new characters added something different to the trilogy but seem to be the same reason some fans hated it. Snipes has recently said he would do a Blade 4.

Aliens - Easily one of the best sequels ever, an amazing follow up to an amazing film, that doesn't happen often.

Mad Max 2 - Excellent trilogy but this is the best one of the bunch.

Star Trek: First Contact - Might be blasphemous to choose this over the excellent Wrath Of Khan but its the only Trek film I have on DVD and its always good entertainment, the Borg were great villains and deserved a movie, it didn't disappoint.

I could easy knock out a Top 20 but I'll put these 5 up.

• Paid Members

For me there's no doubt that Aliens is the greatest of all time.

Of course, The Godfather 2 was an incredible film. But it was essentially just a continuation of the first film. Aliens took the basic elements of the first film and turned them into something entirely different - from a claustrophobic, minimalist thriller to a full blown action and sci-fi epic. It was a film entirely on its own. I remember seeing someone criticising Aliens because the aliens are now no longer a point of interest and terror because there are so many of them and they've lost their mystery. But that's the whole point! When Hicks pokes his head through the ceiling to see if he can spot them and there's about a thousand walking towards him, that's equally as scary as anything that happened in the first.

It's funny, it's brilliantly paced, it's superbly acted, the characterisation is fantastic, the casting is perfect - it has absolutely everything you could want from a film. But the Director's Cut even improves it.

• Moderators
For me there's no doubt that Aliens is the greatest of all time.

Of course, The Godfather 2 was an incredible film. But it was essentially just a continuation of the first film. Aliens took the basic elements of the first film and turned them into something entirely different - from a claustrophobic, minimalist thriller to a full blown action and sci-fi epic. It was a film entirely on its own. I remember seeing someone criticising Aliens because the aliens are now no longer a point of interest and terror because there are so many of them and they've lost their mystery. But that's the whole point! When Hicks pokes his head through the ceiling to see if he can spot them and there's about a thousand walking towards him, that's equally as scary as anything that happened in the first.

It's funny, it's brilliantly paced, it's superbly acted, the characterisation is fantastic, the casting is perfect - it has absolutely everything you could want from a film. But the Director's Cut even improves it.

I agree with all of this. Aliens was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread. T2 is another great Cameron sequel.

The mention of Blade 3 is interesting. I mean, that one is really shitty, but Blade 2 is a cracking shout; Del Toro's vision is all over it.

• Paid Members

Got to agree with Terminator 2, and Toy Story 2 and 3. In fact, I'd say Toy Story is the only series I can think of where the sequels get arguably better as it goes on, though i'm sure some of you might disagree.

• Paid Members
When Hicks pokes his head through the ceiling to see if he can spot them and there's about a thousand walking towards him, that's equally as scary as anything that happened in the first.

The set up for that is probably one of my favourite movie moments ever.

"That can't be, that's inside the room!"

There is no doubt at that point that things are about to get insanely bad.

Archived