Your Top 5 BEST Movie Sequals

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

I used to be obsessed with Aliens growing up, still have my butchered VHS copy recorded off ITV (who used to have the laziest censors of all time) all the 'fucks' were changed to 'frick' and random chunks were taken out but I obviously didnt know that at the time and a decent VHS copy didnt come out till the special edition

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I used to be obsessed with Aliens growing up, still have my butchered VHS copy recorded off ITV (who used to have the laziest censors of all time) all the 'fucks' were changed to 'frick' and random chunks were taken out but I obviously didnt know that at the time and a decent VHS copy didnt come out till the special edition

It was probably the same version I recorded! I was rifling through a drawer full of videos one Saturday afternoon when my family had gone out and left me for my usual quiet Saturday afternoon of C64 games and Saint & Greavsie and just stuck one on randomly and it was Aliens. I didn't even remember recording it. They didn't cut any violence out, strangely for ITV, but yes all the swearing was gone. Then I think went and rented out Predator afterwards. Good afternoon, that.

Batman Returns: Got this for my birthday one year as a kid and it was absolutely brilliant. I liked the original but this film had Christopher Walken, Danny DeVito, Michelle Phieffer and some of my favourite scenes ever. When he bit the blokes nose off still sends a chill up my spine. The grotesque-ness of it all makes it fantastic in my mind.

Spiderman 2: The first one was quite long winded for my tastes but the second one was bang on. With just the minor gripe that everyone in the film saw him without his mask on, I enjoyed the Molina Doc Ock character, the slow progression into the new Green Goblin for Harry (until the next film) and Kirsten Dunst in wet clothing. Also Tobey Maguire I thought was perfect as Peter Parker.

Naked Gun 2 1/2: I loved the first film but this one continued in the great trend. Just some of the stuff to this day never fails to make me smile, things like 'He had a moustache, six feet tall', 'Thats a pretty big moustache.'

Die Hard: With a Vengence: Samuel L Jackson, Bruce Willis and Jeremy Irons, whats not to love. Also a very good plot and the action is just spot on. Love this film.

• Paid Members

Surprised there's been no love for Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - Dream Warriors yet. I'd argue that it's the best one of the series if watched now as the first hasn't aged particularly well. Mind you, it still manages to look miles better than the remake.

I also find that Scream 2 often gets overlooked. Personally, I thought it was just as fun to watch as the first. Aliens is, of course, an absolute classic. As are Rocky II-Balboa. Excluding the horrific fifth film which should not exist. I always preferred Halloween II and III to the first one. Oh yeah and Spider-Man 2 is probably my favorite big budget superhero adaptation. Closely followed by Hellboy and Iron Man, whose sequels I found to be quite disappointing. The Toy Story, Back To The Future and (original) Star Wars trilogy are all great films with solid sequels. I always loved Batman Returns too.

Oh and OF COURSE Die Hard With A Vengeance. That may even be my favorite sequel ever. It's not as good as the original but it's ridiculously entertaining all the way through. I'll also echo the love for Naked Gun 2 1/2, that mustache quip is genius.

• Paid Members

It was probably the same version I recorded! I was rifling through a drawer full of videos one Saturday afternoon when my family had gone out and left me for my usual quiet Saturday afternoon of C64 games and Saint & Greavsie and just stuck one on randomly and it was Aliens. I didn't even remember recording it. They didn't cut any violence out, strangely for ITV, but yes all the swearing was gone. Then I think went and rented out Predator afterwards. Good afternoon, that.

Nah dont think any of the violence was cut, they used to have a habit of just cutting films to fit in a time slot. I also have a copy of the infamous Romancing the Stone edit that started at 8 o'clock, had all the swearing dubbed and scenes cut then bang on 9 they just had it uncut, as if all children immediatley pass out when the watershed kicks in. Kids today with their uncut films and sensible edits are spoilt i tells ya

Edit: Any remember when they edited down Robocop to be shown on a Saturday afternoon to tie in with the TV series?

• Paid Members

Laziest? ITV censors must have had to work overtime getting Aliens, RoboCop and Die Hard free of every single swear word.

The only lazy bit was Hudson getting dragged to his death, where they just covered up all of his dialogue with gunfire sounds.

Aliens was regular viewing for me and my friend Ben though. When the special edition came out, I did the old 2 VCRs and a SCART lead copy (which kept flickering between light and dark, due to copy protection), and then replaced it with an original when I finally looked old enough to buy it.

• Paid Members
Edit: Any remember when they edited down Robocop to be shown on a Saturday afternoon to tie in with the TV series?

Really? I don't remember that! Mind you, the version they premiered on a Saturday night once was almost PG once they had finished with it. It really was one of the most unbelievable butcherings I've ever seen a TV edit carry out. There used to be a video on YouTube with all the edits that ITV had done to it, it was hilarious, but it's gone unfortunately.

The BBC also did an amazing job with Midnight Run. The first time I saw it was the TV version. They dubbed out EVERY swear word. I somehow still liked it enough to seek out the proper version.

• Paid Members

It was the mental version where everytime someone got shot it slowed down and did a weird flashing effect, im pretty sure it also had the line flip you mother flopper. Not sure what time it was on but must still have it on video somewhere.

edit: Rumour on internet was it was cut down to be shown in the afternoon but it doesnt say what time it was on :(

• Awards Moderator

I'm not sure if this is classed as a sequel or just a continuation of a character/storyline, but I've just thought about The Color of Money. Top film. Cruise was perfectly cast as the cocky upstart, the main storyline is supported well by a number of underlying sub-plots and there are some great appearances from Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Forest Whitaker. Paul Newman fucking steals this film, though. I love The Hustler and it's rightly praised, but I'm not sure if The Color of Money is remembered as well as it should be, because Scorsese did a fine job with every aspect of it. Superb ending, especially. Sod it, I'm sticking it on after the footy.

• Paid Members
I'm not sure if this is classed as a sequel or just a continuation of a character/storyline, but I've just thought about The Color of Money. Top film. Cruise was perfectly cast as the cocky upstart, the main storyline is supported well by a number of underlying sub-plots and there are some great appearances from Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Forest Whitaker. Paul Newman fucking steals this film, though. I love The Hustler and it's rightly praised, but I'm not sure if The Color of Money is remembered as well as it should be, because Scorsese did a fine job with every aspect of it. Superb ending, especially. Sod it, I'm sticking it on after the footy.

I'd class it as a sequel. And as brilliant, too.

Archived