Whats your opinion on British Wrestling?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a fair point. I'd imagine it's largely because a) a lot of the experienced workers (rightfully) charge a higher rate and b) a lot of the younger promoters are attracted by the 'high spot'/'workrate' indy style, and as such they're often going to build their shows around guys who wrestle this style (almost perennially the newer, younger talent).

I think the biggest issue is actual fan base. I just don't think there's many fans in the UK willing to buy tickets to small wrestling shows. There's plenty of WWE fans, but they don't translate into indy fans. Just like i'm a rock fan who'll happily pay

If british wrestling wants to get big gain they need to go back to the old school with rounds and seconds and public warnings. More realistic action. No one wants to see a pathetic copy of wwe.

In 2011? Sounds proper fucking mental idea to me.

The market is global too, not just British. If you want to be successful that is. You'll need to hold your own against WWE, TNA, Britains Got Talent, Eastenders, the football, YouTube, Twitter, facebook, etc , etc... people live with remotes in their hand and spend their lives digesting a never-ending stream of information from a multitude of sources.

Having matches based on rest-holds, breaks, rest-holds, breaks... and not real jaw-dropping action... can't see it working.

The argument for it working is probably "because it worked in 1970"? or because "it's different"?

Going backwards won't take the business forwards.

Rest holds? who said anything about that?

football isn't constant excitement is it?

Neither is eastenders.

ufc has rounds and that is popular.

most sports have natural breaks in the action.

you can have stuff happening in the round breaks anyway, show managers/seconds talking to their wrestlers, show interviews with other wrestelrs in upcoming matches.

Trying to keep the discussion focused on the real issue...

How is returning to a system that was only successful in one country nigh-on three decades ago going to help??

How is stopping a wrestling match a number of times going to make it more appealing?

Will there be no gimmick matches or are they all rounds? And you got a wide enough pool of talent available who can actually work the required psychology for a rounds-based match yeah?

I don't see it working whatsoever. I want to know why you think it will!

How is returning to a system that was only successful in one country nigh-on three decades ago going to help??

How is stopping a wrestling match a number of times going to make it more appealing?

Will there be no gimmick matches or are they all rounds? And you got a wide enough pool of talent available who can actually work the required psychology for a rounds-based match yeah?

With the massive popularity of MMA rounds wont be as alien to fans as it has been for the last 20 years so.

The "one country it was succesful in" was this country, Britain. And this thread is talking about British wrestling, is it not?

Is having rounds really that outlandish an idea for people to get their heads around?

The "one country it was succesful in" was this country, Britain. And this thread is talking about British wrestling, is it not?

Is having rounds really that outlandish an idea for people to get their heads around?

I can get my head around it alright. The concept is from a bygone era.

I will repeat the question in the hope someone will answer: Why would stopping the matches at regular intervals make it more succesful?

Please explain that. I'm a bright chap so obviously I missed something...

The twitter generation simply will not go for it. Unless the wrestlers stopped being fake and smashed the granny out of each other.

doesn't lucha use rounds as well?

Not from what I've seen, but I don't watch most of it because it's so shit.

Lucha is also in a limited market-place dominated by one decent company and one shit one. Like the US.

I will repeat the question in the hope someone will answer: Why would stopping the matches at regular intervals make it more succesful?

The twitter generation simply will not go for it. Unless the wrestlers stopped being fake and smashed the granny out of each other.

It makes it more realistic. Means you can have longer matches without them getting boring. Gives an opportunity to save a wrestler from a loss by having him get saved by the bell mid match and come back to win.

I don't see what makes having rounds less appealing to "the Twitter generation" than not having rounds. No TV programme has non-stop action from start to finish. You need gaps in the action to digest what you have just seen.

It makes it more realistic. Means you can have longer matches without them getting boring. Gives an opportunity to save a wrestler from a loss by having him get saved by the bell mid match and come back to win.

I don't see what makes having rounds less appealing to "the Twitter generation" than not having rounds. No TV programme has non-stop action from start to finish. You need gaps in the action to digest what you have just seen.

Rounds may work in some areas of the UK, but it doesn't appeal to my fan base in Wales. I remember putting a rounds match on in Maesteg, it was Robbie Brookside vs James Mason, and there was about 250 fans chanting "You can't wrestle". I pander to the John Cena era of fans, not the Jonny Saint era.

I bet Robbie and James Mason were the best workers on the card as well. It just takes time to re-educate fans. You'd need to keep things consistent though, not just throw a British rules match with 2 older wrestlers on a card with the rest of the bouts fought under American rules with younger guys.

I love the rounds system and nearly all our championship matches in WAW are over rounds, I believe it gives the contest a more Sporting element and our fans have been re educated to them. Problem is how many modern guys could work a rounds match, not many i would suggest because its a completely different art than time limit.

Archived