Whats your opinion on British Wrestling?

IANdrewDiceClay

I agree. I don't think every match needs to be by the British rounds system though. In WAW, the crowd does seem to be educated towards it. I think maybe in WAW it's a good idea to have the rounds system as the standard but every now and again have matches where there are no rounds. You could promote it by the heel saying 'if I had just a second longer in that round, I'd have won the title so I propose we have a re-match where there's no stoppages.' I don't know if that's what is already happening or not as I don't make many shows though. I've seen some guys at WAW who've not ended the round on a submission or pin or any kind of drama so there's no anticipation for the next round, like the rounds are an obstacle rather than something to work with.

PS Kip Sabin's a goon.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want to go there as well, this independent wrestling scene is exactly the same as the independent MMA scene, British or otherwise.

It's really not, bama run in arena's, I've been to start up mma shows that pulled 300plus with no recognisable names just of the draw of mma and fighters friends and relatives buying tickets. There's professional shows drawing in the 100's up and down the country, in southend, london, cheshunt, that's just the stuff I've been made aware of recently.

Independant mma's approaching (not there, but will certainly get there) boxing in terms of popularity in this country and will (I believe) overtake it.

If you want to go there as well, this independent wrestling scene is exactly the same as the independent MMA scene, British or otherwise.

It's really not, bama run in arena's, I've been to start up mma shows that pulled 300plus with no recognisable names just of the draw of mma and fighters friends and relatives buying tickets. There's professional shows drawing in the 100's up and down the country, in southend, london, cheshunt, that's just the stuff I've been made aware of recently.

Independant mma's approaching (not there, but will certainly get there) boxing in terms of popularity in this country and will (I believe) overtake it.

It's BAMMA. And I agree *shudder* with Kiffy about MMA shows totally out-drawing wrestling shows. I think some of this is due to the "fad" element of MMA in this country at the moment, similar to WWF in 1991-1993.

On average though, how many low level MMA shows are there each week/month in the UK?

There are bloody loads of wrestling shows, all over the place, so I don't know that I'd say MMA is clearly out-drawing live wrestling yet.

Is there anyone in UK MMA that runs as many shows as Dixon, all year around?

I'd imagine BAMMA outdraws dixon in terms of the revenue it brings in, it's not just about bums on seats, it's how much they're paying tobe there. In terms of how many shows per weekend I really don't know enough to say conclusively, however, a little mma show is 200-250 people. A little wrestling show? Well how many people will sloan draw this fri at broxbourne, and that will be considered a huge success..........

• Paid Members

The thing with say, BAMMA, is they also put forward a professional image with professionally-designed posters and a professional-looking website.

Very little wrestling promotions in the UK don't seem to see the value in having a professional-looking presence, and unfortunately as posters and/or a website is the first thing a potential punters sees and it's a Freewebs jobbie, or some amateur-looking Photoshop job where a kid's pasted poorly cut-out promo shots, put a gaudy texture in the background and used dozens of text styles next to each other, you're not going to entice that person to come see you. Those that do, I'm happy to work with.

I'd imagine BAMMA outdraws dixon in terms of the revenue it brings in, it's not just about bums on seats, it's how much they're paying tobe there. In terms of how many shows per weekend I really don't know enough to say conclusively, however, a little mma show is 200-250 people. A little wrestling show? Well how many people will sloan draw this fri at broxbourne, and that will be considered a huge success..........

BAMMA is the top of UK MMA though, right? Therefor I'd assume they out-draw all the smaller shows?

Not sure too much about ASW now, but I saw them a few years ago in St Albans and there looked to be around 350 to 500 people there. That might be one of their bigger venues, but I'm pretty sure it's not the biggest.

I believe the Broxbourne Hall seats around 450, depending on the layout. I expect there will be over 300 people there. Even then. it's not really a clear indicator, as this is very much a specialty show. People are paying more than a regular UK show because it's not a regular Uk show.

Fair point about the ticket prices. MMA seem to be much higher priced.

Though to be fair mark's show is higher than alot of em.

This is what I mean re the shows though, if dixon''s the big boy, and he's doing up to 500 bums on seats? Granted he's touring it but the big boy in mma is doing arenas.

And 500 bums on seats is small, very small, for an mma show.

You could probably catch one most weekends in the south of england, dixon goes round the country.

I'd really say there's not alot of comparison anymore, indy mma has got to the stage of staging events in arenas regularly at it's highest end, and little events wth 100's of people are happening every weekend.

And no Khemical, I'm afraid it's not because MMA have nicer websites, important as websites no doubt are (especially to somebody who designs and flogs the designing of them for a living) the best websites in the world for wrestling would not get it competing with mma, even if mma had no websites at all!

Remember that in MMA and boxing etc, the fighters sell the tickets they dont rely on the public like wrestling, A pal of mine runs the white collar boxing all the fighters sell the tickets with general public tickets being very minimal if at all.

Yes it is because of the websites. Khemical wouldn't just say that because of some ulterior motive.

Remember that in MMA and boxing etc, the fighters sell the tickets they dont rely on the public like wrestling, A pal of mine runs the white collar boxing all the fighters sell the tickets with general public tickets being very minimal if at all.

The same could easily be done in wrestling, surely. As well as advertising and whatnot to the general populace, why not get wrestlers to sell tickets to friends and family?

Though to be fair mark's show is higher than alot of em.

This is what I mean re the shows though, if dixon''s the big boy, and he's doing up to 500 bums on seats? Granted he's touring it but the big boy in mma is doing arenas.

And 500 bums on seats is small, very small, for an mma show.

You could probably catch one most weekends in the south of england, dixon goes round the country.

I'd really say there's not alot of comparison anymore, indy mma has got to the stage of staging events in arenas regularly at it's highest end, and little events wth 100's of people are happening every weekend.

How often do BAMMA do events? How often do All Star do events?

They are different kettles of fishes. Wrestling is seen as a fun, inexpensive night out with the kiddies.

MMA is a big sporting event that groups of blokes might go to.

Archived