WWE confiscating Zack Ryder signs.

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From today's Wrestling Observer update. Unfortunately, all true:

-- Just want to say something about Zach Ryder. Zach has a Youtube show that is very popular among Zach fans. In fact, his videos are being watched by approximately 10 times the number of people who are watching NXT on the official WWE Fan Nation Youtube page. I've also been told that people are, and this is a direct quote, "spamming the WWE facebook and twitter accounts for days now", hoping that this will "help the Ryder Revolution grow". What I'm about to say is probably going to be construed as something against Ryder, but it's not, and in fact he's kind of in a lose-lose situation here. My advice is, stop doing this immediately if you're a Zach Ryder fan. If this was any other company maybe in the world, yes, all of this viral attention would probably serve him well. But this is WWE, and in almost EVERY case historically, if a guy gets over and it was not WWE's doing, then WWE has to prove that, in fact, he can't get over, and that he's really no good at all. There is a reason Bryan Danielson was given a new name and given Miz as his "mentor" on NXT. Same with Kaval and Laycool. Same with nearly every other guy who got over huge on the indy scene. You get over huge on the indy scene and it's WWE's "job" to prove that you are not, in fact, really any good at all, and if you do finally get over in WWE, like CM Punk, it's after a long period of having to suffer, do jobs, be booked in a ridiculous manner with ridiculous people, hear that you "can't work", etc. So, long story short, bombarding WWE's Twitter and Facebook pages with Zach Ryder stuff is FAR more likely to backfire than it is to get him a push on Raw or Smackdown. In fact, quite frankly if you want Zach to get a minor push, your best bet is to have Dave or I write in the newsletter that Zach is on the verge of being released and will never be seen on Raw or Smackdown again, at which point he'll probably get a win on one or both shows the following week.

• Paid Members

He can talk, he can wrestle to a decent standard, he has a great look, he's got a fairly topical gimmick, he can do comedy and he's likable. Why arent they doing anything with him? I really dont understand it. If they push him and he dies on his arse, whats the harm in having a go? They try and fail with so many people, you might as well just take a spin on him. Its mental that he's not on TV, yet others are. He's so perfect for the WWE midcard, it isnt even funny.

His Dad is more over than most of the roster. Alberto Del Rio doesnt have it in him to fake wanking with a shake weight.

• Paid Members

Didn't Jim Ross say - I think it was in the Monday Night Wars documentary - that it's the audience who make the right decision in pushing talent? Now I know they weren't the exact words, but it was something to that effect...

I like Ryder, I really do. It's not like he was an Indy Starlet before heading to the 'E', so I can't understand the problem if he's getting somewhat over and he's their own creation.

From today's Wrestling Observer update. Unfortunately, all true:

-- Just want to say something about Zach Ryder. Zach has a Youtube show that is very popular among Zach fans. In fact, his videos are being watched by approximately 10 times the number of people who are watching NXT on the official WWE Fan Nation Youtube page. I've also been told that people are, and this is a direct quote, "spamming the WWE facebook and twitter accounts for days now", hoping that this will "help the Ryder Revolution grow". What I'm about to say is probably going to be construed as something against Ryder, but it's not, and in fact he's kind of in a lose-lose situation here. My advice is, stop doing this immediately if you're a Zach Ryder fan. If this was any other company maybe in the world, yes, all of this viral attention would probably serve him well. But this is WWE, and in almost EVERY case historically, if a guy gets over and it was not WWE's doing, then WWE has to prove that, in fact, he can't get over, and that he's really no good at all. There is a reason Bryan Danielson was given a new name and given Miz as his "mentor" on NXT. Same with Kaval and Laycool. Same with nearly every other guy who got over huge on the indy scene. You get over huge on the indy scene and it's WWE's "job" to prove that you are not, in fact, really any good at all, and if you do finally get over in WWE, like CM Punk, it's after a long period of having to suffer, do jobs, be booked in a ridiculous manner with ridiculous people, hear that you "can't work", etc. So, long story short, bombarding WWE's Twitter and Facebook pages with Zach Ryder stuff is FAR more likely to backfire than it is to get him a push on Raw or Smackdown. In fact, quite frankly if you want Zach to get a minor push, your best bet is to have Dave or I write in the newsletter that Zach is on the verge of being released and will never be seen on Raw or Smackdown again, at which point he'll probably get a win on one or both shows the following week.

He should really start to consider his future, in this case. Essentially, what this is saying is that his only hope of ever getting the slightest push is on the whim of creative, and, realistically, when is that whim ever going to occur for Zack Ryder? He's already behind the dregs of NXT in the pecking order for TV time, and you can add a glut of Tough Enough contestants to that in the near future. He's not getting back to the glory days of the Edgeheads anytime soon.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards Zack Ryder personally, but it's no wonder Vince is so shit at creating new stars these days when his attitude to crowd reactions is 'like who I tell you to like, or I'll spit my dummy out'. I'm sure he'll survive though, Dolph Ziggler's new haircut has money written all over it.

I disagree with that Wrestling Observer bit. Persistence is the only way forward with stuff like this, and the goal of it isn't really solely to get Zach Ryder a push is it, it is to make the WWE realise that they aren't giving the fans what they want, and that their arrogance won't be tolerated. Sort of like standing up to a bully. If everyone took the stance that it is better to keep quiet, then the bully carries on bullying and never gets stopped. If anything, the Observer should be lobbying for everyone to get involved and for as many people as possible to take Zach signs to shows, watch his show and spam.

Also, this seems to be gathering momentum, and if people persist then surely it can't be long before others start picking up on it. If 2 of his catchphrases are on mainstream US sports news then WWE must have to start taking notice, and if not, then their shareholders surely will?

I have just watched all 11 back to back to catch up. Why canttheyout stuff like this on superstars or access etc and get people over more?

He should really start to consider his future, in this case. Essentially, what this is saying is that his only hope of ever getting the slightest push is on the whim of creative, and, realistically, when is that whim ever going to occur for Zack Ryder? He's already behind the dregs of NXT in the pecking order for TV time, and you can add a glut of Tough Enough contestants to that in the near future. He's not getting back to the glory days of the Edgeheads anytime soon.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards Zack Ryder personally, but it's no wonder Vince is so shit at creating new stars these days when his attitude to crowd reactions is 'like who I tell you to like, or I'll spit my dummy out'. I'm sure he'll survive though, Dolph Ziggler's new haircut has money written all over it.

I think that's exactly what Zack is doing here. He knows he's on the cusp of being fired, so he's going for broke, trying to do something to perhaps save him AND creating a brand for himself separate from WWE TV. If he gets fired, he can use his True Long Island Story show, his Youtube channel, his twitter, to stay relevant with his fans. As long as he uses these social network platforms, Zack Ryder isn't going to just fade away (although the name is going to be an issue) and hopefully he can transfer a portion of his fanbase into following him on the independents or wherever he decides to go. It's smart. He's not just relying on WWE creative to connect him to his fanbase.

Fair play to the guy. I hadn't watched these until last week and I'm so glad I did, the stuff with his Dad is brilliant and exceeded itself with the JoMo sitdown computer scene this week, don't want to spoil it too much. WWE would be stupid to fire him after he's gained this momentum. He's hardly a household name but WWE should realise that the fans who are paying to fork out for the good seats at shows are digging him i.e the signs.

I don't say this lightly, but I genuinely believe that it might be better for Ryder were he to be released.

I think the reason the WWE find it so easy to be dismissive of his support is the mindset that suggests that internet fans make up such a small proportion of their fanbase. Were he to be released, however, that ratio changes as practically every independent and TNA themselves have a higher proportion of net fans. Providing the 'Long Island Iced Z!' brand translates outside of the WWE Universe he'd probably be made if he left; I imagine he'd certainly be guaranteed an equal, if not larger, downside if he went down the TNA route.

Archived