Wrestlers you WISHED were good

Green

• Paid Members

This thread is inspired by me coming across the Nathan Jones' vignettes on Youtube. Specifically this one. These reminded me of when they were shown on Smackdown to hype his debut and just how much I was looking forward to his debut. His character seemed awesome and he had an incredibly intimidating look. Also the nickname "The Colossus of Boggo Road" is possibly the coolest sounding title ever. But when he debuted what happened? Well...

I can't even remember. I know he was supposed to be tagging with Taker at Mania but they pulled him from the show due to how awful he'd been performing. I remember him squashing Shannon Moore but that was only when he resurfaced much later, and incredibly briefly, as an associate of Paul Heyman. Compare that to how those promo videos made him look and it's obvious the guy massively under-achieved, which is a massive shame as those videos are up there in the Sean O'Haire cool vignette territory.

What about you? Are there any wrestlers you desperately wanted to be good but just didn't work for whatever reason?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel an absolute retard for even suggesting it based on the manner of shite he trots out on WWE TV these days, but I feel like the window was missed for R-Truth upon his return to WWE. I was quite a fan of his very early TNA Ron "The Truth" Killings character, and as soon as I'd read they'd signed him I was certain this was the route they would go down with him. Basically K-Kwik came back. Pretty disappointing.

Based on videos and whatnot, I think Sean O'Haire absolutely walks this category. I can't remember anybody not loving those videos week on week, and he could have main evented with that suited devil on your shoulder gimmick almost immediately without anyone batting an eyelid. Roddy Piper's mate in the OVW trunks though? Nah.

Both good shouts. O'Haire had an awesome look and those brilliant vignettes.

I wish Wade Barrett had been good last year because he had almost everything in his arsenal to be an awesome heel.

He was! It was the booking that destroyed him. He was the most over heel in wrestling, and had nearly every single fan getting behind Cena to beat him. He was absolutely brilliant in his role. He should of won the WWE Title and ended up losing to a returning John Cena at WrestleMania if they'd booked it correctly but for some reason they just totally pulled the rug from underneath him and now he's just another guy.

I really really think they dropped the ball MASSIVELY with Wade Barrett, they'll struggle to get him to that level again now, he should be so much more.

Sean O'Haire for me too, those vignettes were fantastic week in and out but it ended up being a real disappointment. The guy had the look, the charisma but when it came to the crunch it just didn't happen for him.

I do agree on the Wade Barrett one as well though, forget the majority of those guys in the 8 man farce at Wrestlemania, it was Barrett's treatment that made me the saddest. He was the man during his Cena feud yet now he barely gets a minute worth of action on the biggest stage of them all. Sad.

• Paid Members
Boogeyman. I loved that gimmick and his look so much. I mean just look at this! Such a shame he sucked.

I was a big fan of The Boogeyman too. Well his look and character at least. Another good shout for this thread.

• Paid Members
He was! It was the booking that destroyed him. He was the most over heel in wrestling, and had nearly every single fan getting behind Cena to beat him. He was absolutely brilliant in his role. He should of won the WWE Title and ended up losing to a returning John Cena at WrestleMania if they'd booked it correctly but for some reason they just totally pulled the rug from underneath him and now he's just another guy.

I really really think they dropped the ball MASSIVELY with Wade Barrett, they'll struggle to get him to that level again now, he should be so much more.

Rick is right about Barrett though. He almost had everything. Its just that when the bell rings, he is a bit shit. Everything else, he is perfect.

Nathan Jones and Wade Barrett are very good shouts.

Wade should of been heel of 2010, instead he became a jobber, and probably will be a midcarder for life at best now.

I wish Glacier had been good, again his hype promo videos were top notch and he still has one of the coolest intro entrances in wrestling with blue lasers and snow failing, really awesome stuff, untill he got in the ring, oh well.

I don't see how Barrett is shit in the ring really. He's had perfectly capable matches with everybody he's faced, he managed to pull a good match out of Mark Henry AND completely salvaged that Wasteland that was about to go wrong with him. He's also managed to give The Big Show one in recent weeks which is quite impressive. The reason he's in the positition he is today is because they completely cut his legs off, which is Vince McMahon & WWE Creative at their absolute worst.

Waylon Mercy! Could've been a crazy evil heel but by the time he took on the character, Spivey was so plagued by injuries!

A bit old school but The Widowmaker - Windham was at the top of his game in 1989 and its a shame this character only had squash matches. A feud with Hogan would've rocked!

• Paid Members
I don't see how Barrett is shit in the ring really. He's had perfectly capable matches with everybody he's faced, he managed to pull a good match out of Mark Henry AND completely salvaged that Wasteland that was about to go wrong with him. He's also managed to give The Big Show one in recent weeks which is quite impressive. The reason he's in the positition he is today is because they completely cut his legs off, which is Vince McMahon & WWE Creative at their absolute worst.

I do agree 100% that WWE cut his legs off. He has fighting a losing battle from the moment he tapped out at Summerslam. I guess it downs to personal preference, but I think he is shit in the ring. He has everything else in spades though. Has the crowd in the palm of his hand. He carries himself like a main eventer. He is a perfect smug heel. Looks so hateable. Good on the mic. I just think it all comes crashing down inbetween the two bells.

I do agree 100% that WWE cut his legs off. He has fighting a losing battle from the moment he tapped out at Summerslam. I guess it downs to personal preference, but I think he is shit in the ring. He has everything else in spades though. Has the crowd in the palm of his hand. He carries himself like a main eventer. He is a perfect smug heel. Looks so hateable. Good on the mic. I just think it all comes crashing down inbetween the two bells.

I also believe the Corre are holding him back atm.

• Paid Members
Waylon Mercy! Could've been a crazy evil heel but by the time he took on the character, Spivey was so plagued by injuries!

A bit old school but The Widowmaker - Windham was at the top of his game in 1989 and its a shame this character only had squash matches. A feud with Hogan would've rocked!

Nice call on Mercy but Windham was and is good :angry: . Also didn't some family matter hold him back a bit around that time?

Archived