Wrestlers you WISHED were good

Green

Interesting idea for a thread and one I don't think I've seen it done before. :thumbsup:

I agree with Tom Magee, Sean O'Haire, Nathan Jones, Boogeyman, Stevie Ray, Tyler Reks and to a lesser extent Wade Barrett. If all of them had been better in-ring I think they could have done a lot more (although in Barrett's case I think/hope he still will).

Disagree with Randy Orton, Chuck Palumbo (who if anything turned out to be the best worker of the Natural Born Thrillers), Johnny Stamboli, Simon Diamond and Johnny Swinger all of whom I thought were good enough workers. If they had other weaknesses then it was those that held them back not their in-ring ability. I also thought Goldberg was as good as he needed to be for the role he played.

I feel an absolute retard for even suggesting it based on the manner of shite he trots out on WWE TV these days, but I feel like the window was missed for R-Truth upon his return to WWE. I was quite a fan of his very early TNA Ron "The Truth" Killings character, and as soon as I'd read they'd signed him I was certain this was the route they would go down with him. Basically K-Kwik came back. Pretty disappointing.

So was I. I still think he's pretty good when he gets the chance to cut proper promos (like in his angles with DiBiase and Cena last year) but for the most part he is stuck in that K-Kwik type undercard babyface who gets a pop by singing and dancing spot.

I don't see how Barrett is shit in the ring really. He's had perfectly capable matches with everybody he's faced, he managed to pull a good match out of Mark Henry AND completely salvaged that Wasteland that was about to go wrong with him. He's also managed to give The Big Show one in recent weeks which is quite impressive. The reason he's in the positition he is today is because they completely cut his legs off, which is Vince McMahon & WWE Creative at their absolute worst.

Henry's had good matches with multiple opponents over the last decade. Big Show has had plenty of good matches as well.

I think it would be harder to find a top name star who hasn't had at least one good match with each of them.

A bit old school but The Widowmaker - Windham was at the top of his game in 1989 and its a shame this character only had squash matches. A feud with Hogan would've rocked!

That's an interesting one because I still have a squash match of his on tape somewhere from an episode of Superstars at the end of some film that I recorded over the wrestling (probably the oldest wrestling on VHS I have that I actually taped at the time). I believe it's from when they used to show it late at night on Sky Channel and my dad used to tape Superstars for me

I'm sure Jesse and McMahon mention the possibility of him challenging Hogan (this was around that SummerSlam to Survivors period where it seemed he was feuding with Zeus, DiBiase and Savage all at once) during that. Either them or Baz in his inset promo.

I wish Chris Daniels was good - he's got a lot of athletic ability and crisp technique.

I also wish Rob Terry was good. I like him fine enough, because he has an awesome look, great entrance music, relatively sound execution (sweet spin-kick), but he just doesn't seem to be able to keep the crowd into anything he does.

I wish Black Reign had been good - would've been good to see Dustin doing something other than Goldust and the "Natural" characters competently.

I wish Van Hammer had been good - a hair-rock gimmick's always fun.

Not a fan of the style he works but have no problem with Christopher Daniels as long as he's kept to tags, triple threats and/or squash matches, don't think I've ever seen a match from Terry and only one with Dustin in that gimmick but re. Van Hammer he did get to be okay(ish) later on just seemed to have been around forever at that point and it was too late. Really Hammer peaked eight or nine years too late.

Hernandez - I think he's got one of the best looks in the business, it's just a shame that he isn't the best in the ring.

Some of the original ECW guys - It would have played a huge part in helping ECW footage last the test of time and still be entertaining watching it back today. Watching a YouTube video now of Sandman coming out to Metallica, smoking a cigarette and drinking his beer, before going on to put on a near 40-minute Benoit-esque scorcher of a performance would have been ace.

That would have been counterproductive. Sandman worked matches exactly the way he should have done I don't think him working like Benoit would have enhanced his act and I actually think it could have taken away from it a bit.

Haven't seen much (maybe any) singles matches from him but I thought Hernandez was underrated in LAX. For all the praise Homicide got for being the worker of the team, I thought Hernandez developed into a pretty competent big man who I really did think would have ended up in WWE by 2008 at the latest.

A lot of/most people (maybe nobody) won't agree with this one, but CM Punk. I enjoy his promos and his gimmick his great but his matches always seem forgettable and sometimes his offence looks a little sloppy.

Oddly enough I agree with you. He engages me on the microphone but when it comes down to the matches, I'm left a little cold. I do think however that Creative could have done more with the Rey Mysterio story, the SES in general as well as the Nexus. Had Punk increased the numbers in the SES and brought in a couple of bigger names to the stable, he could have really rocked that spot.

Interesting one. Like the character and have ever since the heel turn but I still don't 'get' a lot of his matches either. At least to the extent other people seem to.

In the same way a lot of people probably find Bob Holly/Val Venis/Chuck Palumbo/someone else I like "boring" a lot of Punk's matches don't engage me as much once the bell rings as they do when he's making his entrance or mocking the fans' bad habits.

Giant Gonzalez.

The "Bloody hell!" factor when he came to the ring and destroyed the Undertaker was incredible, especially as they hadn't had anyone do it before.

Sadly the subsequent feud was awful, the Chloroform based win being a particular low.

Undertaker isn't 18-1!!!

However, I agree with your pick. If Gonzales had been able to work he may well have become one of the biggest stars of the 90s and we would be talking about him vs. Hogan drawing record business headlining a StarrCade or something.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vince McMahon...the build for some of his matches made him look like a real monster...kinda goes to prove that the amount of wrestling you watch has no bearing on how good you are at it.

He had blinders with Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Shane McMahon, Triple H (the Smackdown one) and Shawn Michaels. McMahon usually delievered the goods in gimmick matches. Vince was exactly how he should be for the character he plays. He'd look odd doing flying headscissors.

I personally didn't think the Hogan or Shane matches were blinders, but I agree - he wasn't supposed to go out there and slap headlocks on, as the whole point is that he's a non-wrestler venturing into a wrestler's territory. It'd make the wrestler in question look stupid if he was able to go hold-for-hold with them, and in the case of Shane, people would wonder why two non-wrestlers were being all technical and shit.

Bollocks. That Hogan match has everything. It's a clear five star encounter.

I totally agree,that match was awesome.That moment with Vince coming up from getting the lead pipe,face bloodied and with a manic grin on his face is still a sight to behold.I still think his match Vs Stephanie at No Mercy was a blinder too,the crowd in particular made it.

Vince McMahon...the build for some of his matches made him look like a real monster...kinda goes to prove that the amount of wrestling you watch has no bearing on how good you are at it.

He had blinders with Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Shane McMahon, Triple H (the Smackdown one) and Shawn Michaels. McMahon usually delievered the goods in gimmick matches. Vince was exactly how he should be for the character he plays. He'd look odd doing flying headscissors.

I personally didn't think the Hogan or Shane matches were blinders, but I agree - he wasn't supposed to go out there and slap headlocks on, as the whole point is that he's a non-wrestler venturing into a wrestler's territory. It'd make the wrestler in question look stupid if he was able to go hold-for-hold with them, and in the case of Shane, people would wonder why two non-wrestlers were being all technical and shit.

Bollocks. That Hogan match has everything. It's a clear five star encounter.

I totally agree,that match was awesome.That moment with Vince coming up from getting the lead pipe,face bloodied and with a manic grin on his face is still a sight to behold.I still think his match Vs Stephanie at No Mercy was a blinder too,the crowd in particular made it.

Having rewatched the McMahon DVD this weekend, that Vince/Steph match is fucking dreadful. Vince has had loads of quality matches that shouldn't have been as good as they were, but that certainly isn't one of them.

• Paid Members

Sid Viscious. Such a great look, came across as a killer in every sense of the word. Couldn't do a lot when he wasn't being carried by Michaels though.

Archived