Major League Wrestling

Checkmate

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were a promotion that appeared to have all of the tools needed to succeed but for some reason they never seemed to be able to pull it off in the ring. I tried watching some of their shows but the matches, even when they involved reliable workers, were almost always terrible.

Unfortunately MLW in my eyes were never around long enough to get a stride going and have there own identity. The matches were not as good as what you could see in ROH or TNA (At the time) or even CZW. In my opinion however it wasnt that bad.

THe roster they used was a good mix though and having people in different gimmicks to what they did elsewhere I liked. Although Joe got shat on like it was 2010.

Towards the end they had decent production and used nice club like venues. However at the beggining they were just another Philly/ NYC indy. Moving to florida gave them good 1000+ crowds at times to.

Only really saw odds & ends but mostly i thought it was decent. The one full card i did catch was Reload, and that was a real fun show with loads of variety.

My memories of it are certainly a lot more positive than that Pro-Pain-Pro-Wrestling crap which TWC also used to show (which also has arguably the worst name ever).

• Paid Members

Former WWE writer and current Wrestling Observer phone-into-er (that isnt even a word) was the head man behind it. Which is some career changes= ECW Rip-off promotion>WWE Writer>Alvarez verbal sparing partner. It wasnt as bad as 3PW or XPW, but it wasnt anything special. The Xtreme Horsemen thing had a lot of potential until WWE took Jerry Lawler out of the storyline. Lawler, Sabu and Funk in a War Games match against Windham, Corino etc. would have been great value. For me it was the only time I've ever seen Steve Corino look like a star.

What is funny is, the match Samoa Joe had with Mike Awesome is as close as you'll get to see how Joe would look if WWE road agents were telling him how to wrestle.

• Paid Members

It was in similar venues to oldecw.png, it had a mix of violence and lucharesu-lite, it had Joey Styles, it hada mix of guys that used to wrestle for oldecw.png and guys that would have wrestled in oldecw.png if it were still going... yeah. It was a nice try at continuing the spirit oldecw.png had, and there were a few good matches thrown in.

• Moderators
It wasnt as bad as XPW,

What is? I reckon we could do an E-Fed that'd piss all over XPW.

Except for Pogo the Clown. I liked that gimmick. Especially when they made him a bit paedoey.

• Paid Members
What is funny is, the match Samoa Joe had with Mike Awesome is as close as you'll get to see how Joe would look if WWE road agents were telling him how to wrestle.

What I remember about that match is that it got absolutely NO reaction at all. In fact, MLW crowds were about the worst and least responsive wrestling crowds I've ever heard. It was an awful promotion that should have been much better.

It wasnt as bad as XPW,

What is? I reckon we could do an E-Fed that'd piss all over XPW.

Except for Pogo the Clown. I liked that gimmick. Especially when they made him a bit paedoey.

I agree with your Pogo analysis. Best thing associated with XPW. Genuinely scary, could see a partnership with Matt Bornes current Heath Ledger-influenced Doink gimmick, though wouldn't have a place in WWE currently.

Didn't he also go stiff (ooh er) on one of the Insane Clown Posse during a match?

Archived