Major League Wrestling

Checkmate

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the Joe / Pope match from last week's Impact was like seeing an ex-girlfriend after a few year's absence and realising with a wave of sadness that, much as you loved her, she really wasn't that fit any more and you probably wouldn't now.

Pope's problems stem from a misjudged face turn and bad booking, but Joe is just a flabby nonentity now. He's the most disappointing career nose-dive since Ahmed Johnson.

• Paid Members
Is Joe/Awesome available online anywhere? Can't seem to find it.

I think he wrestled the match as Joe Seannoa or something, might help you track it down. It did used to be on YouTube though but seems to have disappeared.

• Paid Members

MLW is a terriffic name, and should be reprised.

It was one of my favourite shows on the Wrestling Channel. I remember CW Anderson was on a lot, and Paul Ellering made a comeback towards the end.

It was an EcW rip-off though.

All-bar-one MLW show is available for download at the usual torrent sites in a nice free leach pack.

I gave it a go but after the first show couldn't be arsed with it. I seem to recall enjoying it more on TWC then I did recently. Corino/Punk being enjoyable at the time IIRC (which its likely that I don't)

'twas an ECW rip-off... like any other company in any other industry, doing what others do makes you a bit average and every average company will die sooner or later.

• Awards Moderator

What I remember about MLW.

1 - Joey Styles on commentary doing an impression of himself several years earlier.

2 - One show they had with multiple rings, that Sonjay Dutt kept using to do crazy springboard moves, bouncing from ring to ring on the top ropes.

3 - Super Crazy vs. Amazing Red in a Rey Mysterio mask calling himself 'Fuego Guerrero'.

4 - Seeing PRIMO for the first time, in a match against Jerry Lynn (I think he was called 'Eddy Colon', but still, PRIMO)

IIRC correctly after a discussion about MLW with Corino @1PW many moons ago he told me that the guy who owned it had something to do with the record industry and he lost a shit load of money and plugged the plug on the promotion cause of this.

Shame though, was a decent enough product with decent enough matches.

Archived