Sleep Paralysis

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

this is something i used to experience when i was younger (pre-16), and i don't really recall after having it happen until recently. Twice now in the last 3 days ive had it....it's not a nice experience at all, i just wake up always feeling like im in an awkward position and i'm just stuck, i want to call out but i can't. It's almost like if i can move just a finger my whole body will shake out of it, but i can't. The whole thing probably lasts a matter of seconds but it feels a lot longer. Horrible.

It's almost hard to know whether what you're experiencing is real or part of a dream, i'm gonna do a little reading online as to what causes it and if there's anyways to stop it happening.

Anyone else have this problem?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

just found this:

Sleep Paralysis will be experienced by one in five people. Victims wake to find that they are paralyzed and unable to move or speak. Many experience frightening visions of demons, shadows, or an old woman known as "The Hag." For others there is simply the unmistakable presence of evil. In extreme cases, these potentially supernatural attacks can occur for decades. Overwhelmed, exhausted, and entirely alone, victims can lead shattered lives dominated by the fear of social stigma.

i aint seen no hag?

• Paid Members

It happened to me once in about 2004, I think, and it was horrendous. I felt like I couldn't breathe and my heart was pounding too. Never again, please.

No hag though - until Mrs Small brought me cup of tea in the morning.

Considering I've had other sleep issues since 18 though, the memory of that really didn't help me with my normal worries, I must say.

I've been experiencing the opposite the last 2 weeks. I'll suddenly wake up and my body is pumped full of adrenaline. I just want to kick, punch, scream, run around... anything except lay still. I've not had a decent nights sleep in 2 weeks. I've read up on it and it's anxiety. The only thing I can pinpoint it too is Arsenals poor run of form. Sad aye?

I only ever really had it once that I can recall. It was like that bit in The Matrix where the Agent closes up Neo's mouth. I couldn't move and couldn't make a noise. I felt like if I could make a noise it would be OK and I'd be safe but it took a while before I could do it. Really scary experience.

I suffered from this regularly in my late teens until my early 20s and it happens probably three or four times a year now. It is a horrible thing to experience because you are mentally conscious but you cant physically move. You are telling your body to move but it feels like you are getting pinned down and then you start to hyperventilate. Then out of nowhere you are released from the paralysis and the relief is unimaginable.

Another freaky sleep problem I use to have was when I went to bed I would go into a light sleep and it would feel like I was rising from the matress and I was levitating above my bed, then I would suddenly crash back down on to the bed.

Both of these only ever happened to me if I was sleeping by myself. Ever since I have been living with the missus it has not occured, saying that I have not had a decent nights sleep since I moved in with her; she snores like a pig.

• Paid Members

haha, i woke up a mysterious white substance all over my sheets on Sunday morning too...(and no, it wasn't jiz), i put that down to something i drank in the tav.

fucking mess.

• Paid Members

just found this video on youtube...i think this has freaked me out more than anything in recent times. It's a video of someone experiencing an extreme case of sleep paralysis.

my case aint as extreme as that in terms of time, but that's the kind of position's i find myself in. That guy in the video is experiencing hell right there...holy fucking shit my pants!

Yes I also suffer from this, like most of you it happened alot more when I was younger, but still happens now and again.

Only two days ago infact was the last time it happened, I was lying face down in bed and some shadow demon had its hands around my neck choking me, I was trying to get the fucker off but it was too strong, I cried out for help but no sound came out my mouth, thats when I realized I was in this dream state, because its happened to me loads before, I knew I'd just have to wait it out, also what Ian said about getting out of it works, I usually try to move my fingers and that shocks me out of it.

It is a fucking proper knightmare though, when I was younger it used to shit me up big time, I also hate when I have my arm underneth my chest crushing it, I cant breath and cant move, its just awful and then theirs the demons.

Has anyone here experienced lucid dreams? its kind of like the same thing, but you are in control of your dreams, thats only happened a few times for me, but it is quite an amazing feeling, I suppose the recent film inception would sum it up, I was flying over cities in mine, the trick for me is clicking a switch on and off in your dream, when you do that I dunno it just makes you aware that you are in a dream and then its like the matrix for you.

All this stuff makes me wonder what us humans are actually capable of.

• Paid Members
just found this:

Sleep Paralysis will be experienced by one in five people. Victims wake to find that they are paralyzed and unable to move or speak. Many experience frightening visions of demons, shadows, or an old woman known as "The Hag." For others there is simply the unmistakable presence of evil. In extreme cases, these potentially supernatural attacks can occur for decades. Overwhelmed, exhausted, and entirely alone, victims can lead shattered lives dominated by the fear of social stigma.

i aint seen no hag?

No, but you will now that that information has gone into your brain. :thumbsup:

No sleep paralysis for me, but I'm in hospital tonight having my brain monitored as I'm possibly narcoleptic. That'll no doubt be fun.

• Paid Members

I don't and have never suffered from sleep paralysis. I do however suffer a lot from sleep sex. I have had sex with the missus loads of time in the middle of the night and sometimes I never know that i ahve done sometimes it is vauge. She came to bed after me the other night and I was knocking one out asleep I sat up and asked her if she wanted some. I do not remember it at all.

I heard all this sleep stuff is brought on through stress.

Archived