Sleep Paralysis

Egg Shen

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually get this quite alot. Sometimes your mind simply wakes up, but your body doesn't. Try and wiggle your toes and that will properly wake your body up. However, alot of times (last night) for instance,you will think their is a presence in the room. I thought someone was peering through my door last night (I live alone) so it was pretty fucked up. I've noticed that it only seems to happen when you've either got a hangover or you've been on a pretty bad drug binge. It is rather scary, but as I say, try and wiggle your toes and you will actually get out of it!

I suffered from it as a child but I could feel it coming on so sometime (not always) but sometimes I could stop it. For me it was almost like I was having an out of body experience. I was awake but not in control of my body and heard evil laughing.

Not fun.

It's worth remembering that it's just an entirely natural thing your body does to protect itself when you are dreaming. It sure beats sleepwalking. I used to never fight it because that made it worse. It's much easier to just sod off back to sleep. I think the whole scary aspect of it comes from the fact that some times you are still dreaming when you wake up and there is this sort of fucked up clash of your dream imagery clashing with waking consciousness. It can be incredibly unnerving.

I have lucid dreams all the time due to having developed a habit of telling myself I'm dreaming at random points in the day so as to raise awareness in the brain of the idea of being in a dream. It's absoloutely awesome once you get a hold on it. I fly and fuck people. And it feels absoloutely real.

More people should do it.

• Paid Members

I have an ex and a flatmate who have both told me of variants of this.

I actually get this quite alot. Sometimes your mind simply wakes up, but your body doesn't. However, alot of times (last night) for instance,you will think their is a presence in the room. I thought someone was peering through my door last night (I live alone) so it was pretty fucked up.

Yeah, pretty much what I've heard. Variants I've heard included thinking there was someone in the cupboard, seeing a big spider that wasn't there, and being peered at through the window by Gremlins. Daft bint.

It's absoloutely awesome once you get a hold on it. I fly and fuck people. And it feels absoloutely real.

I get that a lot. Quite often something just isn't right and I just realize "this is a dream" and off I go. Also sometimes get a clue from what they referred to in Inception as a totem, I guess. Something I learned a while back, you have an incongruous symbol, something you don't come across in waking life. Mine is a red crescent moon. I see that, I know I'm dreaming.

That's usuallly when Sunny turns up.

• Moderators
It's absoloutely awesome once you get a hold on it. I fly and fuck people. And it feels absoloutely real.

I get that a lot. Quite often something just isn't right and I just realize "this is a dream" and off I go. Also sometimes get a clue from what they referred to in Inception as a totem, I guess. Something I learned a while back, you have an incongruous symbol, something you don't come across in waking life. Mine is a red crescent moon. I see that, I know I'm dreaming.

That's usuallly when Sunny turns up.

Everytime I have that 'this is a dream realisation' my dream will tell me I've woken up and be like 'seriously this time it isn't a dream' and I'll get a dream within a dream, and then I'll realise again and so on it continues. It's quite irritating; I feel like my subconscious is insulting my intelligence.

• Paid Members

I have once and only once had a "dream within a dream" when I was at uni which was very strange in that the first dream was very short, then I "woke up" within the dream and dreamt practically a whole week of going to lectures, going to the beach with mates and all sorts.

At no point did I realize it was still a dream, despite dreaming I was going out with one of the girls, which usually would trigger me to realize "this DEFINITELY is a dream."

• Paid Members

I got it quite a lot when I was younger, mainly just the sensation of someone pressing on my chest but occasionally stuff like my bed shaking and spinning around the room. Sometimes I'd sense (as opposed to see) something bad coming towards me but be unable to move or shout. It only ever happened to me when I was sleeping on my back, since I stopped doing that it hasn't happened since.

It's a total guess but I'm pretty sure sleep paralysis was the inspiration behind the awesome Gentlemen in Buffy The Vampire Slayer. If not directly then definitely indirectly.

Has anyone here experienced lucid dreams? its kind of like the same thing, but you are in control of your dreams, thats only happened a few times for me, but it is quite an amazing feeling, I suppose the recent film inception would sum it up, I was flying over cities in mine, the trick for me is clicking a switch on and off in your dream, when you do that I dunno it just makes you aware that you are in a dream and then its like the matrix for you.

Once. I'd been reading about Astral Projection (also sort of connected) and Lucid dreaming, wanted to give it a bash but was finding it hard to go back to sleeping on my back again after years of training myself not to. I had a dream that I was at a UFC show, then suddenly I was in the cage, and then it was a four way match. At that point I remember thinking "What? This is fucking stupid" and then realised I was dreaming and off I went. Hasn't happened since though.

I've never managed to have a decent lucid dream. On the rare occasion I do realise I'm dreaming, I either wake up imminently or have little to no control over the dream anyway. I commonly have fucked-up dreams (though in the social realist or sitcom genre rather than horror), wake up terrified, and then feel such relief when I remember it was just a dream.

Archived