Sleep Paralysis

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Has anyone ever had that dream where your team is playing in a massively important match and you go into the half 4-0 up and end up losing 3-2? I always have weird dreams like that, where I'm really excited about a match and the scoreline is going amazingly well and the final whistle goes and I realise we've lost. I also can never get a shag or win a fight in my dreams either. Stuff like seeing my mate getting started on, so I punch the lad and he no sells it and gives me a good kicking. Things never seem to go according to plan when I'm in the middle of a dream. Am I the only one who has one-sided dreams or does everything fuck up for anyone else?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I also can never get a shag or win a fight in my dreams either.

I dreamt I slept with a black girl last night. She was moving into the spare bedroom in my house. Although I wasn't aware I was dreaming, it was amazing and left with me with a raging hard on when I woke. My sex dreams are quite rare though, last one before that was about four years ago.

Edit: This is a wrestling forum after all so I might aswell ask. Has anyone else had dreams of walking into a shop and seeing old issues of Powerslam and/or other rare or hard to get items? Clutching them in your dreams then waking up to find yourself empty handed is gutting.

I also can never get a shag or win a fight in my dreams either. Stuff like seeing my mate getting started on, so I punch the lad and he no sells it and gives me a good kicking. Things never seem to go according to plan when I'm in the middle of a dream. Am I the only one who has one-sided dreams or does everything fuck up for anyone else?

Exactly the same. I've had loads where I'm in a fight and can't throw a decent punch, and where girls won't talk to me. Although both of those have happened to me in real life as well.

Edit: This is a wrestling forum after all so I might aswell ask. Has anyone else had dreams of walking into a shop and seeing old issues of Powerslam and/or other rare or hard to get items? Clutching them in your dreams then waking up to find yourself empty handed is gutting.

I've had dreams along those lines. Wrestling merchandise and general stuff I want, always at decent prices as well. I still remember having that dream a few weeks before Christmas when the Turtles figures came out and I had a dream that I had the whole range waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. Gutting when I woke up.

• Paid Members

I always find it annoying, when you have a dream about screwing 1 of your female friends, then you wake up and end up spending the day with em. You feel like going "that was fun last night" then you remember best not.

Yeah i've suffered from it on and off for about 5 years and it's terrifying. It started out in the way that seems most common to people who suffer from it in that it felt like i was being pinned down by a dark shadow but It's gotten worse in the last few months as it's now getting to the point where i keep dreaming that i'm waking myself up but i'm still asleep so i'm never sure if i'm awake or not if that makes any sense.

It's also caused me to have some really bad nightmares as well including one where it felt like i was being dragged around my room by my feet and one where i dreamt that i threw myself out my bedroom window to try and wake myself up.

Incidentally has anyone on here had this happen while someone's been with them cos it happened to me last week when i was at my girlfriends and she said i was shaking and muttering really badly so i'd be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar situation.

• Paid Members
I always find it annoying, when you have a dream about screwing 1 of your female friends, then you wake up and end up spending the day with em. You feel like going "that was fun last night" then you remember best not.

I once half woke up in the middle of the night, saw a woman in bed with me (my girlfriend at the time), and in my semi-dreaming state thought it was someone else. I made a move, and was about halfway through when I realised I wasn't shagging who I thought it was.

That's awkard.

Freaky. This sounds alot like something that happened to be back when I was at uni. I wasn't aware of sleep paralysis so ever since I have been unsure about what it was that caused it but it certainly sounds very similar to what has been detailed here.

Basically, a mate had come to visit and we'd been to the local for a couple of pints. It was only a couple as we were going on an all dayer the following day, we hadn't taken any substances either that could have resulted in anything I would later experience. We got back to my room in the halls of residence, my mate was kipping on my floor, and after playing some Playstation we dozed off. I fell asleep and after some time I became aware of some loud clunky footsteps that were coming up the wooden stairs leading to the landing my room was on, I don;t know whether I heard these in my semi concious state or whether I dreamt them but a couple of seconds after they stopped I was awoken by a hard pounding sensation on my chest, a loud high pitched noise ringing in my ears, and this very strange sensation that built in my chest and moved up into my head making me feel like it would explode. I couldn't sit up or cry out despite being awake at this stage and the whole room felt electric. After a few seconds although it felt like minutes I was able to roll onto my side and force myself up. I was pretty freaked but put it down to a very vivid dream. I got up, went for a piss and got back into bed all the while my mate was still fast asleep on the floor.

I started to drop off again when I heard thsi strange banging again. This time I wasn't fully asleep and I knew it was going to happen again and happen again it did. It was much more intense and the whole room buzzed with energy whilst I lay incapictated in my bed again unable to yell out. After what seemed liek an age I again managed to move and tried to wake up my mate but he wasn't stirring in the slightest. I sat up all night that night playing playstation and wrote down what had happened to me so as not to forget. Everytime I've told people they always say that I must've been on something or drank too much but it simply wasn't the case. It had never happened before and never happened since and I hope to fuck it doesn't. Maybe now I have an explanation. Nice one.

This is one of the most interesting topics I've ever read on here and I'm amazed at just how many people are affected by them, I'd never even heard of them before today.

This could be a completely ridiculous thing to suggest, but perhaps it's got some roots in playing video games? I've heard a few times that the number of people who dreamed in black and white dropped drastically upon the advent of colour television, so perhaps it has something to do with sitting for a prolonged time completely engrossed in a video game that may have some bearing upon triggering them, as the posts which have tales of seeing shadows and demons etc may allude to. Or perhaps watching horror films? I never watch horror films and very rarely play on video consoles, so perhaps someone on here that doesn't either, yet suffers from these can dismiss this theory?

Like I say, it's probably a ridiculous theory but it's been a truly interesting read and I can only hazard a guess as to how distressing they must be.

I never understood the whole checks within a dream thing. I can't decide to flick a lightswitch or something like that in a dream. It's like the dream is just a movie playing out that I'm watching in first person.

And yeah I have had a few wrestling dreams. It's nothing that strange so It's something I will happily admit to. I spend hours watching old wrestling on free days. It's not that unusual that I would be backstage at the event that night helping Essa Rios find a ladder.

I had a horrible dream once with six-legged purple llamas and a giant library in my old house, but also with me repeatedly punching someone in the face and having her laugh her ass off at me. It's a pretty depressin thing, even in a dream.

• Paid Members
Well, I'm sure it's up there as one of the most pleasant things you can have done to you in a hospital. Just go to sleep with some electrodes attached to you, right?

The electrodes themselves weren't a problem. The unit the electrodes were connected to though was on a velcro strap around my waist, and was about the size of an original Game Boy. This was then wired to another machine.

Alien bed, Game Boy, getting wrapped up in wires, velcro bunching up behind my back, pulse monitor on my finger, etc....

Good luck monitoring my sleep, 'cos I got fuck all.

[EDIT] And it was late starting, 'cos there was still a body left in the bed from earlier.

this is something i used to experience when i was younger (pre-16), and i don't really recall after having it happen until recently. Twice now in the last 3 days ive had it....it's not a nice experience at all, i just wake up always feeling like im in an awkward position and i'm just stuck, i want to call out but i can't. It's almost like if i can move just a finger my whole body will shake out of it, but i can't. The whole thing probably lasts a matter of seconds but it feels a lot longer. Horrible.

It's almost hard to know whether what you're experiencing is real or part of a dream, i'm gonna do a little reading online as to what causes it and if there's anyways to stop it happening.

Anyone else have this problem?

I had an experience with sleep paralysis a few weeks ago which is the second time, that I remember it ever happening.

The first time I was about 10 years old and I remember waking up lying on my back and just simply not being able to move, but I had visions of all kinds of creepy insects slowly moving towards me and I remember panicking that I couldn't move and these things were coming towards me. Then just all of a sudden I jolted up-right. Absolutely terrifying experience and I think I can trace my genuine fear of insects back to that moment.

The second time a few weeks ago wasn't as scary. I'd come home from uni and just decided to have a little nap before work. Woke up and found I just couldn't move. I could hear voices (couldn't remember what they were saying) but I remember just being in a panic about not being able to move and feeling my muscles straining to try and lift an arm or my head but I just couldn't. Then I started to be able to move my arm but everything else was still paralysed. Luckily I snapped out of it eventually. No images of a hag, but it was still a worrying experience. Kind of cool in a way.

When i first started to suffer from sleep paralysis I was convinced i was possessed, it started with a dark shadowy figure and ended up with this lizard like humanoid trying to strangle me (waits for Duane...). Add to that the waking up and being unable to move any part of your body and i was shitting a brick.

Its something i've come to terms with over the last 15 years but its been getting worse over the last 3 years. I've been attached to the electroids and also had a Multi latency sleep test and some othershit. And the person who said about sleeping during the electroids is right its next to impossible, even on the second scan when i got to take it home and walk around like a hyrib cyberman i didnt get a normal nights sleep.

Medically they think its due to entering/exiting the REM stage of sleep too quickly (which i think is stage 3 of your sleep pattern). Sufferers will probably find it happens to them just as they go to sleep or as they get up.

Apart of my condition is that these dreams can be recorded as memories and i've apologised to people for events that have happened in dreams. yes i am going slightly mad

I've had dreams in the past where I know I'm dreaming, but only once been able to establish any major control and start to fuck around with stuff. I'd heard of the light switch test before and did try it in the dream and it's true that the switch does nothing. Didn't have long in the dream though, but may give that lucid dreaming thing a try.

Archived