Working conditions in TNA

perfectbluefan

Are you a judge? Or a lawyer?

No, but I can think of a ton of lawsuits in America where the plaintiff had a lot less to complain about than a tna wrestler would and still won. People get millions of dollars over there for tripping over the sidewalk! So what is someone who got injured because their boss heavily pressured them to do something dangerous going to get?

because 99% of the fans could give a fuck about these wrestlers.

Well, you don't. I don't know if that's everyone.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know pressuring guys to do dangerous stuff they don't want to is illegal, right?

What are you on about? A wrestling company telling a wrestler "you're in a ladder match tonight" isn't the same as an office manager ordering a secretary to jump out of the window, you jeb-end. All wrestling matches are dangerous. If a wrestler signs a contract then refuses to wrestle, that will understandably not put them in good stead with their bosses.

You know pressuring guys to do dangerous stuff they don't want to is illegal, right?

What are you on about? A wrestling company telling a wrestler "you're in a ladder match tonight" isn't the same as an office manager ordering a secretary to jump out of the window, you jeb-end. All wrestling matches are dangerous. If a wrestler signs a contract then refuses to wrestle, that will understandably not put them in good stead with their bosses.

Yeah, but there's a difference between putting someone in a match and then telling them they have to an additional bunch of dangerous stuff too or else. They're contracted to wrestle, not taking an insane amout of risks when they don't want to.

You can put someone in a ladder match, sure, but I'm pretty sure you can't tell them "and you have to kill yourself and cram in as many stunts in as possible."

Yeah, but there's a difference between putting someone in a match and then telling them they have to an additional bunch of dangerous stuff too or else. They're contracted to wrestle, not taking an insane amout of risks when they don't want to.

What's a sane amount of risks to order them to take when they don't want to, then?

You can put someone in a ladder match, sure, but I'm pretty sure you can't tell them "and you have to kill yourself and cram in as many stunts in as possible."

And I'm pretty sure TNA management doesn't tell any wrestlers "and you have to kill yourself."

What's a sane amount of risks to order them to take when they don't want to, then?

You're acting like there's no difference between being someone like Lance Storm, or somebody else who wrestled a safer style, and Jeff Hardy or Mick Foley. Not like as soon as you soon sign up for wrestling you automatically accept "well, my body's going to be a wreck." Some wrestlers choose a safer style than others.

And I'm pretty sure TNA management doesn't tell any wrestlers "and you have to kill yourself."

Yeah, but if they really are telling guys to do more high spots and change the way they wrestle or blade when they don't want do, or do more car crash style stunts in general it's not that far off.

• Paid Members
No, but I can think of a ton of lawsuits in America where the plaintiff had a lot less to complain about than a tna wrestler would and still won. People get millions of dollars over there for tripping over the sidewalk!

Now you're getting into tort of negligence. You can sue someone - the council, for instance - if they have been negligent in their duty of care creating a situation where someone might suffer injury due to unforeseen circumstances which wouldnt have happened if said party hadn't been negligent.

World of difference when two trained pro wrestlers step into the ring, both aware of the potential dangers. You can get paralyzed from taking a hip toss incorrectly for crying out loud, and you could hardly sue the company for negligence just for providing the setting in which the accident occurred.

The events / liabilities in the event of serious injury in a company as large as TNA are more than likely ironed out in the - here's that word again - CONTRACT. Which the wrestler / contractor chooses to sign, or doesn't. Simple.

• Paid Members
You're acting like there's no difference between being someone like Lance Storm, or somebody else who wrestled a safer style, and Jeff Hardy or Mick Foley.

And when Foley was diving off his house after watching WWWF at MSG or when Jeff Hardy was setting up a trampoline ring in their gardens, what promoter was telling them to do this? Their style isnt a product of the promotions they worked for, so what does this have to do with what your banging on about?

Oh and there is a difference between Foley and Hardy and the likes of Storm. They drew money and live in big houses.

Then how come Owen Hart's family successfully sued WWE? TNA have been sued and Konnan got paid out of it. Some guy that got paralyzed by Marty Janetty in the 90s in WWF got millions too.

It's not like there's no track record of guys suing wrestling companies and getting money. And they all signed contracts too.

You're acting like there's no difference between being someone like Lance Storm, or somebody else who wrestled a safer style, and Jeff Hardy or Mick Foley.

And when Foley was diving off his house after watching WWWF at MSG or when Jeff Hardy was setting up a trampoline ring in their gardens, what promoter was telling them to do this? Their style isnt a product of the promotions they worked for, so what does this have to do with what your banging on about?

Oh and there is a difference between Foley and Hardy and the likes of Storm. They drew money and live in big houses.

You missed the point. I was saying, it's not like when you get into wrestling you automatically accept you'll be taking a crazy amount of risks. I know nobody was telling Jeff or Mick to do that stuff, it was their choice. Just like it's Lance's to wrestle a safer style.

• Paid Members
Then how come Owen Hart's family successfully sued WWE?

That was successful! WWF paid off the whole family who turned against her and she accepted an out of court settlement which WWF's insurance company paid for. Bret Hart turned on Owen's widow, because the price was so low, he thought she'd sold him out for a small fee and WWF then sued the harness company that made the wire Owen was using and won. WWF actually made a profit from Owen Hart dying and their ratings for the tribute show was massive.

You missed the point. I was saying, it's not like when you get into wrestling you automatically accept you'll be taking a crazy amount of risks. I know nobody was telling Jeff or Mick to do that stuff, it was their choice. Just like it's Lance's to wrestle a safer style.

No you dont. Ric Flair's as fit as a fiddle, as terrible as he looks. If you daft enough to take the risks, its nobodies fault.

• Paid Members
Then how come Owen Hart's family successfully sued WWE?

Because in not providing proper safety precautions when performing something well outside (and more dangerous than) the parameters of working normal matches (which Hart was contracted to do) by either not ensuring his harness was secure or providing a faulty harness. Owen unaware of risk, assuming stunt to be safe - WWF NEGLIGENT.

As for Charles Austin in the Rockers case of which you mention, they established Jannetty did not communicate to Austin what type of bump to take on the Rocker Dropper - MARTY AND BY PROXY WWF NEGLIGENT.

So, in terms of injuries caused by in ring accident leading to successful litigation - are we talking one case? In how many decades of pro wrestling being a work?

Plum Mariko, Mitsuharu Misawa, Gary Albright, Mike DiBiase all DIED in the ring. Did their families sue? No, because you can't hold the company accountable for unavoidable or unforeseen accidents / heart attacks that just happen to take place in their ring.

You're acting like there's no difference between being someone like Lance Storm, or somebody else who wrestled a safer style, and Jeff Hardy or Mick Foley. Not like as soon as you soon sign up for wrestling you automatically accept "well, my body's going to be a wreck." Some wrestlers choose a safer style than others.

And some wrestling companies choose a safer style than others. Where's the evidence for TNA management telling everyone to do as many massive stunts as possible anyway, since you keep banging on about it?

If you're that bothered about the welfare of wrestlers, you should look at those same news sites you take as gospel. They're the ones who championed a style of wrestling that's led to every up-and-coming wrestler needing to take an insane amount of dangerous head drops in front of crowds of two dozen to get any press or hype. Desmond Wolfe might be WWE champion by now if he hadn't fucked himself up in rec centres and armouries for years to get over with certain types. Or Paul Heyman and ECW fans, for making gory stuff and actually getting hurt a viable alternative to proper wrestling.

• Moderators
Daffney is nothing, so she can pay her own. Read the contract before you sign it, that's my advice.

But she can't. That's kind of the problem.

Did she agree to take a $200 per appearance fee? Because that's kind of her problem.

Archived