30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone should play Turbo Esprit on the Spectrum, btw. It's a 3-D game where you drive round a realistically modelled city chasing bad guys' cars (using a scanner) and blowing them up, there are pedestrians to avoid (including window cleaners), you have to stop periodically at petrol stations to fill up.. it's GTA3 in 1987 basically.

I've got that feeling where I know the answer in the back of my head but I just can't quite figure out what it is.

I'll go with my temporary answer, The Sims series - especially the PC ones. The original wasn't a horrendous game, I enjoyed playing it at first. It was amazing though how people would then become addicted, buying expansion pack after expansion pack for their fix of fiction life.

I'll also add GTA:IV and Pro Evo to the mix; though I wouldn't call them the most overrated of all-time, people's opinions of them were certainly blown completely out of proportion.

Depends which Pro Evo game you are talking about really. All of them on PS2 were the best footy games you could play by a considerable distance. Fifa had all the style and no substance, while Pro Evo's game engine had the beautiful game pretty much spot on, Fifa was still offering a robotic game experience, masked by official licenses and soundtracks. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Pro Evo 4 and 5 along with Mario Kart are the greatest multiplayer games of all time.

If you're talking about current gen PES, then yeah they have been fairly awful and only look to now be recovering judging from critical reception ( I personally thought 11 was a shambles too though) and Konami seemed to have really struggled in making the step from last gen to current gen. Sad really as PES used to be the daddy, I don't think there is even an argument about that regarding it's rivalry with Fifa back in the day.

I've got that feeling where I know the answer in the back of my head but I just can't quite figure out what it is.

I'll go with my temporary answer, The Sims series - especially the PC ones. The original wasn't a horrendous game, I enjoyed playing it at first. It was amazing though how people would then become addicted, buying expansion pack after expansion pack for their fix of fiction life.

I'll also add GTA:IV and Pro Evo to the mix; though I wouldn't call them the most overrated of all-time, people's opinions of them were certainly blown completely out of proportion.

Depends which Pro Evo game you are talking about really. All of them on PS2 were the best footy games you could play by a considerable distance. Fifa had all the style and no substance, while Pro Evo's game engine had the beautiful game pretty much spot on, Fifa was still offering a robotic game experience, masked by official licenses and soundtracks. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Pro Evo 4 and 5 along with Mario Kart are the greatest multiplayer games of all time.

If you're talking about current gen PES, then yeah they have been fairly awful and only look to now be recovering judging from critical reception ( I personally thought 11 was a shambles too though) and Konami seemed to have really struggled in making the step from last gen to current gen. Sad really as PES used to be the daddy, I don't think there is even an argument about that regarding it's rivalry with Fifa back in the day.

Actually, I was meaning the whole series in general. *Cue heel heat.*

I'd forever been a Fifa fan-boy and so never deviated from where my loyalties laid, even when all of the hype was going around about how the Pro Evo game-play had blown Fifa's slow and clumsy style to bits and was the new king of the genre.

When I finally got a chance to play on Pro Evo round at one of my mate's houses I couldn't believe how much of a letdown it was. Granted, it wasn't a complete and utter pile of shit, it just seemed kind of average and fell way short of all of the hype that the magazines and people were giving it.

I know I'm probably on my own here, but that's genuinely how I felt about it and any of the subsequent versions I've played of it since.

• Paid Members

I'd go along with that definitely, PES 4 and 5 were just the perfect football representations. I must have put hundreds of hours into it with my brother and mates.

Actually, I was meaning the whole series in general. *Cue heel heat.*

I'd forever been a Fifa fan-boy and so never deviated from where my loyalties laid, even when all of the hype was going around about how the Pro Evo game-play had blown Fifa's slow and clumsy style to bits and was the new king of the genre.

When I finally got a chance to play on Pro Evo round at one of my mate's houses I couldn't believe how much of a letdown it was. Granted, it wasn't a complete and utter pile of shit, it just seemed kind of average and fell way short of all of the hype that the magazines and people were giving it.

I know I'm probably on my own here, but that's genuinely how I felt about it and any of the subsequent versions I've played of it since.

Crikey.

I don't think I can even relate to that. One of the reasons I hated Fifa was the passing system was light years behind Pro Evo's, you couldn't pick the ball up from 35 yards and unleash a thunderbolt in to the top corner. Just an amazing gaming experience, on Fifa I always felt once you'd seen 5 or 6 different goals, you'd seen all it had to offer. I still play the old Pro Evo's to this day though, so I'm probably biased myself, but I tried to play Fifa 2000 a few months ago and switched it off after 1 game, about the same amount of time I switched it off when it was originally released. Pro Evo 5 on the other hand still gets a regular run out when my mates come round, and we still save some of the goals on the memory card too.

I'm a fan of footy games, whether it's FIFA or PES. PES for the most part has been the better of the two. FIFA 10 was great, but buggy as hell but still beat PES 10 by a mile. FIFA 11 has taken a big step back in terms of opposition AI and Manager Mode. I honestly think PES 11 is a big step in the right direction for Konami. Whilst it still has it's problems, I'm still sometimes left with my jaw dropping with how good the link up play can be. And Master League is just sublime.

Footy games peaked with IIS Pro Evo 2 for me. Possibly because it's the last one I played that I didn't get bored of after 10 minutes. The more like real football it's got, the less interested I am.

• Paid Members

Most overrated game?

Easy.

batman%20Arkham_Asylum.jpg

People harp on about how great the voice acting is, how fun the gameplay is, how this is the best game based on a franchise ever. Well, I'd say the acting is average at best, the gameplay is frustrating because of an awfully judged camera angle, and I'd obviously disagree with the latter too.

Back to that camera angle:

batman-arkham-asylum-20090624090312207.jpg

I don't understand why more people don't find this annoying - HE'S IN THE SIDE OF THE SCREEN!! You can't see whatever's going on to his left hand side and he also blocks a significant portion of the view!

And it's supposed to be a stealth game...how can you be stealthy if you can't see what you're supposed to be stealthy around?!

Stupid, terrible, horrible, game-ruining camera angle. It just doesn't feel natural. Fuck Dead Space for popularizing this ridiculous craze, and fuck Batman for carrying it on.

• Paid Members
ISS Deluxe is clearly the best footy game ever anyway.

KEEPER FUMBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RED CAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!!!!!

and such.

"OH NO! OWN GOAL!?"

ISS Deluxe is clearly the best footy game ever anyway.

KEEPER FUMBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RED CAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!!!!!

and such.

"OH NO! OWN GOAL!?"

Did you ever try scenario mode? How good was that?! I used to write down all the passwords for cleared challenges in the back of my English book. Memory cards were a revolution in my house when they come out, sadly my handwriting skills never quite progressed though.

Archived