What's the most cringe-worthy thing you've done...

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Was reminded of mine earlier this week. back in '98, I gave a girl my phone number. I programmed it into her phone as "The Rick". Like "The Rock". Geddit? Absolutely cringe inducing. Fuck knows why but she did phone.

I also owned "The Rock" pj's back in 2000. Little grey shirt and short set. Wasn't even official merchandise. My girlfriend didn't mind though, he was better to look at in bed than me.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Kicked my Dad in the balls for a laugh when I was a kid. Hey, wrestlers did it all the time, and wrestling was fake, right?

He stumbled to the neighbours front door and collapsed. Later I found out he spent the a day and a half in the hospital. It's been sixteen years and we've never spoken of it.

Sorry pa.

• Paid Members
When I did ring announcer for IwW and announced the ref in the ring as the Ballymun Bruiser before the Bruiser was even out. Probably the only time in history there was a 'You fucked up" chant directed at an announcer.

Still, you've got to laugh.

Where was this?

Loads. My entire teens were just one big shudder.

I once signed a load of Christmas cards to kids at school from "The Rick."

Did a speech at my year eleven prom that consisted of nothing but wrestling catchphrases, until I got booed by all the kids -- even in 1999, wrestling was never actually even remotely cool, rose-tint fans, and even if it was I should've just stuck with the Baz Luhrmann "Sunscreen"-inspired speech I'd spent ages writing but was too cowardly to give -- and the head of year came and took the mic off me.

Wore Shawn Michaels heart-shaped red sunglasses to a club. Lots of times. And bopped my head like Gangrel whilst standing on a podium.

Used to do the Road Dogg spit-entrance whilst walking to history, and somehow never got battered.

Gave a hard kid the People's Eyebrow, and got punched in it.

Had several versions of my own Mr Socko (I recall one was alien-themed, for some reason), and Mandible Clawed people at school with them. Poorly and entirely unsuccessfully, of course.

Had my hair plaited into Road-Dogg style dreads for the last day of school, whilst wearing a massive Kickers jumper. And I think I had just the back plaited dread-style at the aforementioned prom, which must have looked like a shit early nineties British Bulldog.

My twenties haven't been much better thus far, either. The all-time low:

Went to a BritWres show.

I'll probably start training as a wrestler in my thirties, unless I find out the night before the session that the school's further than the end of the road. If that happens, I'll just sack it off.

I chose pro wrestling as my topic for one of those talks you had to give to the class back in my first year of secondary school. Why I chose to talk about wrestling as opposed to football, rugby, skateboarding, holidays et al I'll never figure out.

No, I chose wrestling and stuck to it. Instead of following the consensus which was to stand up and spend two minutes talking about why Dennis Bergkamp was your favourite player, I stood in front of a group of puberty-hitting classmates defending why Kurt Angle drew me into Raw and Smackdown each week. I went on, and on and on for some reason. I still think I should have changed my topic, even last minute, and just given a two minute talk on football, but instead I gave a near-15 minute blinder of a speech, which would have got me serious brownie points had it been in front of the UKFF.

Unfortunately it wasn't, and I'll always look back on that as being one of the most cringe worthy things I've ever done.

While the rest of the lads in the class were rubbing their semi's through the holes in their pockets over the girl on the chair in front of them, I was telling the people I'd spend the next five years of my life with that I was glad that Matt and Jeff Hardy were the tag team champions.

• Awards Moderator

I went to watch the WWE at the MEN Arena sometime at the start of the last decade. I think is was about 2002. After the show, as everyone was leaving the building, I said to one of the stewards/fake security guards "Excuse me, which way is the car park?". Three words in to his reply, I gave him the "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE THE CAR PARK IS" and just walked off. I looked a right twat, even if a few people did laugh. I was in my twenties :(

I went to watch the WWE at the MEN Arena sometime at the start of the last decade. I think is was about 2002. After the show, as everyone was leaving the building, I said to one of the stewards/fake security guards "Excuse me, which way is the car park?". Three words in to his reply, I gave him the "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE THE CAR PARK IS" and just walked off. I looked a right twat, even if a few people did laugh. I was in my twenties :(

This is quite funny, actually :)

• Paid Members
When I did ring announcer for IwW and announced the ref in the ring as the Ballymun Bruiser before the Bruiser was even out. Probably the only time in history there was a 'You fucked up" chant directed at an announcer.

On a similar note, my 1st show refereeing for EWW I had to help one the the guy backstage, however, it suddenly became apparent that they were introducing the next match and I still wasn't there, so I legged it through the entrance way and slid into the ring under the bottom rope. Yes, I had just stolen the entrance (exactly how he had intended to do it too) of the guy who would become our first Champion later that night! It was all taken in good humour though.

• Paid Members

Where was this?

Trobolgan

Ah right. I was present for about 90% of IwW shows between 2005 - 2007 in Dublin. I probably would've remembered your incident had it occured in there.

• Paid Members
Ah right. I was present for about 90% of IwW shows between 2005 - 2007 in Dublin. I probably would've remembered your incident had it occured in there.

You'd have heard me and me mates entrance music for Sheamus so. (The theme song to International Showdown of all things - and said song could probably count as another cringe worthy thing...)

I was only covering as announcer as a favour, and talk about a Shockmaster style debut!

There are probably too many to remember, but ones that I do all come from around the age of 10/11 years old:

- Walking into the classroom in year 6 at lunch and doing a Justin Hawk Bradshaw 'Burrrrrr' noise and arm gesture (that he did circa 1996 when entering the ring), not realising the dinner lady was in there, and getting sent out and made to eat my lunch on my own

- Again in year 6, trying to impress onlookers at lunchtime in the playground by jumping over a fence like a cruiserweight wrestler would enter the ring, only to not make it, and snap the fence panel in half.

- Also in year 6, proclaiming that myself and my 3 best friends were the 'Nation of Domination', and saluting people with the overhead fist and singing the NOD theme song in the playground etc.

:wacko:

Great thread. I think most of us who grew up with wrestling have got some stories to tell.

My highlights/lowlights

1. Mum bought me the full HBK attire from the merch catalogue. Even that gay biker hat, which, oblivious to how gay it was, I wore on my bike to the park where it was nicked and my face punched. I'd really asked for it though.

2. School project in year 7 about sport. Seeing as I had bugger all interest in sport, I did wrestling. 240 pages of it, single-spaced, bios of all the wrestlers, championship histories and pay per view rundowns. All done in Welsh. I got an A+ for effort, but a D overall. The teacher then made me stay behind after the class once she'd marked it to give me a heartfelt talk about how wrestling wasn't a sport, and in fact wasn't even real. Santa-esque it was.

Archived