Your favourite five tracks of the moment

Devon Malcolm

The Page- Metallica: Can't believe I never heard this Metallica song until recently, to me it seemed like a good anthem for the new year.

Not technically a Metallica song as it's a Bob Seger cover, but it's a song James Hetfield has always said he wished he'd written. They played it a fair few times on the recent tour and it's awesome love.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Favourite 5 of the moment:

- I love this track, reminds me of something that might have been released in the 60s. The harmonies are brilliant and her voice is fantastic. Effortlessly cool. The album (21), however, was a complete let-down. This is definitely the best track off it.

- All the songs off this album (Save The World, Get The Girl) are great but I love how eclectic and experimental this song sounds and the build-up to the end is brilliant. I've already seen them live once but hadn't heard much stuff then so I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

- I've been reading Staurt Cable's autobiography recently and found out this is one of his favourite songs. It's been mine since the beginning alongside Goldfish Bowl. Since I read that it was his favourite track I've been listening to Word Gets Around a lot more.

- Watched Rock Star for the umpteenth at the weekend and I still love this song. I wish they had it on karaoke! Cheesy metal at it's best.

- Been listening to some old BBoys stuff as I haven't listened to it in ages and I forgot how good Check Your Head is. Gratitude is probably my favourite BBoy track but I love listening to So What'cha Want right now.

__

Perfect fodder for a lazy chilled day sublime

Good call! I've recently added

by The Crocketts to my playlist, used to see the video a lot in the Alternative Nation days.

Wow, The Crocketts! That's a name I haven't heard in years. I think I may have seen them live at some point in Chester.

• Moderators
- Watched Rock Star for the umpteenth at the weekend and I still love this song. I wish they had it on karaoke! Cheesy metal at it's best.

The only thing in that film that makes me laugh is seeing Jimmy McNulty in it. Almost as funny as him being in Spice World.

• Awards Moderator

Well it's a good job that this can contain old music as I've not listened to anything new for a while. Hopefully I'll pick up a few recommendations in here, but for now here's my five:

I utterly adore this song; probably my favourite from All Things Must Pass and that's not an easy choice to make. One of the best, upbeat love songs I've heard and

brilliant to drive to so I can sing my head off like a tit.

I've listened to Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs for years and I can never decide on my favourite track. This is probably it as I think it says more about what Clapton was feeling for Pattie Boyd than Layla itself does.

Because it never fails to put a smile on my face and the missus said it reminds her of me, when we first met. A bumbling, nervous wreck.

Just a great song, hardly known by anyone who's not got the album from which it's taken.

INXS - Never Tear Us Apart

I hadn't listened to INXS for a good few years until I heard them on a jukebox when I was away. I've had this song on constantly ever since. It's a blinder.

The only thing in that film that makes me laugh is seeing Jimmy McNulty in it. Almost as funny as him being in Spice World.

:laugh: I love Rock Star, I really shouldn't. It does have Timothy Olyphant and Myles Kennedy in it which is always good!

• Paid Members
:laugh: I love Rock Star, I really shouldn't. It does have Timothy Olyphant and Myles Kennedy in it which is always good!

I love it too. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it and I have the soundtrack on my MP3 player.

"After the nuclear holocaust, the survivors will crawl out of the rubble in the dark, light a fire and then one man - the singer of songs - will sing and that's the essence of rock & roll."

Good thread, i'll be checking some the mentioned tracks out i've not heard already.

I'm into all sorts of music, but been listening to a bit more hip hop recently and enjoying it. 3 hip hop tracks below, an oldie and a dose of Americana...

[1] Kanye West Ft. Bon Ivor, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Jay-Z - Monster

Probably one of the best hip hop songs released in recent times IMO. Off an album that's got a lot of praise but i didn't particularly go mad for the album itself. This track though, (especially the Minaj verse) is incredible. Jay-Z offers something different to his normal stuff too.

[2] Jakob Dylan - Whole Wide World

This won't be to some people's tastes. Former Walflowers front man and son of Bob teamed up with legenday producer T-Bone Burnett to produce a typically Americana album titled Women + Country. This is a sleepy, inoffensive, folky, country, easy listening track off it that just makes me smile whenever i hear it.

[3] Drake Ft. Nicki Minaj - Up All Night

A real catchy couple of mins from the artist considered by many to be the biggest thing in rap right now. Everything is pretty basic on this track, but it still stands out and leaves you wanting more.

[4] Cypress Hill Ft. Tom Morello - Shut 'Em Down

Not a huge Hill, RAGTM or Morello fan and the idea of rap/metal crossovers in modern day music leave me quite nauseous, so i'm not quite sure why i even gave this a listen, but i'm glad i did. Have a listen yourself and i don't think you'll be able to resist the bluesy metal Morello rift cutting through the recognisable, but still appropiate Cypress vocals like an unforgiving beatdown.

[5] Chi-Lites - Oh Girl

It's a standard r&b/soul track from 1972. But there's something about the opening few bars of this track that I can't put down at the moment. It's no "Have You Seen Her" but it still hits the spot everytime it comes on for me.

Mostly oldies in here but some hopefully obscure enough that you won't have heard of them:

This is on the sound track to the Zac Efron film 17 Again. Not a great film but this track really stood out to me.

Zooey Deschanel's band. I love her voice.

From the soundtrack to the film Precious. Great track, doesn't have a load of lyrics but builds really nicely. Lovely track.

This was on an episode of 30 Rock the other day. Beautiful song.

A great song by Mr Wilson. Forst heard it when Eddie Murphy sings it in Coming To America.

• Paid Members

It's stupid and cheesy, but also pure fun.

Great ballad from Scorpions last album.

Yes, I like me a bit of Enya, and why not?

In all honesty the singer's voice should annoy me, but it seems to work for reasons I can't explain.

Two Steps From Hell - Heart Of Courage

Clearly soundtrack music, but by christ, what soundtrack music.

5 time hounoured classics from my turntables (Flash is playing up on my work PC so hoping that the youtube links work OK) -

1. Incognito - Out Of The Storm (C's Planet E Special Mix) -

Stunning downtempo electronic grooves from Carl Craig, eleven minutes of laid back perfection.

2. Josh One - Contemplation (King Britt Funke Remix) -

Hypnotic deep house set to blow your miiiind

3. Inner Life - Make It Last Forever (Full Length Larry Levan 12" Remix) -

Another marathon track, nearly thirteen minutes of Jocelyn Brown. Sweet, sexy and sleazy all at the same time.

4. Slick - Space Bass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsva6Aulv4Q

Uptempo slice of jazz funk, definitely one for the dancers.

5. Carl Anderson - Buttercup -

Stevie-penned 80s soul stunner

Salem - "King Night"

Distorted and suffocating electronic music. The epitome of Witch House.

Charlie Simpson - "Thorns"

Fightstar frontman goes all folk-rock.

Unicorn Kid - "Wee Monsters"

Super upbeat chiptune-influenced dance.

Swimming With Dolphins - "Silhouettes"

Sounds like the kind of thing you'd hear on a level of Mario Kart.

Alias - "Opus Ashamed (Feat. Dose)"

Weird hip-hop. God-tier production.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Bump!

1)

- I think I've settled on this as my favourite Roses track. It's only taken 15 years or so.

2) The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Belong - Even better than Higher Than The Stars, which I loved. I hate the band name though. Ugh.

3)

- Ahh, why the hell not? The actual song should always have been longer though and not had the pointless mostly instrumental finish.

4)

- I don't really care much for The Go! Team on the whole but this is cracking stuff.

5)

- I've loved Ladytron for years now but this is the one of theirs I'm enjoying most right now.

You've probably all this one now as it's being played quite a lot on the radio. Nice little song.

Good song from the movie 500 days of Summer.

I love the original, I love Reek Big Fish's version and I love this version.

The god of music doing what he does best.

Nice cover of the Pixie's classic.

Nice upbeat beat of rock from Lemmy and Co from Snake Bite Love

Dreamy, bluesy number from a band who should have been much bigger than they ever were. One of my favourite songs of all time.

Awesome mix of cultures and genres from Industrial to, rap rock with a bit of proto Nu Metal and some Arabian influences chucked in for good measure

4. Ancient Ruins - Gunstar Heroes Cover

I like some of the covers that you can find, idly searching youtube :thumbsup:

Nice tune for lazy days, and chilling and smoking and whatever else comes along

• Paid Members

Robyn -

. Taken from Body Talk 3 and probably my favourite on there. Not the most macho song.

Flynt Flossy -

Another top tune from Turquoise Jeep Music though it's the video that really makes it. Biggest moonwalk of all time at 1:39.

Bruce Springsteen -

, live at the Roxy 1975. Classic Bruce from a classic gig.

Type O Negative - Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity. (from "I know you're...." onwards). Great tune and hilarious lyrics, what's not to love?

Clutch -

. Funky Rock. The intro has been stuck in my head for months.

(Edit - would help if the links worked)

Archived