Your favourite five tracks of the moment

Devon Malcolm

Dunno how to Youtube embed or anything, not an all time list just shit I'm into at the minute...

1. Ernest Saint Laurent - Surf Club: The B-Side to the Clumsy Lobster 12", summery piece of chilled house, just feels like you're flying on the breeze on a warm day when you listen to it. Eight minutes without a vocal and it gets stuck right in your head, must have replayed it about five times yesterday.

2. Clive Tanaka - I Want You (So Bad): Off his album last year that was only released on cassette, but is now getting a digital release. All warm, retro synths and squelchy, manipulated vocal samples on repeat throughout. Almost like Neon Indian or Memory Tapes, it's still sort of French house sounding but with a kind of Chillwave slant to it.

3. Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her: I'm a massive fan of the PSB, they have about 30-40 classic tunes to their name and have been astonishingly consistent over the years. This was a sleeper song of theirs for me, I got into after watching the PopArt DVD but it's one of my favourites at the minute. Everything you want from this group, good slightly heartbreaking lyrics tinged with irony ('she's made you some kind of laughing stock, because you dance to disco and you don't like rock'...) as well as a great melody and a killer hook.

4. The Lemonheads - Being Around: I don't listen to a whole lot of 'music with guitars', but when I do it's usually jangly groups like this with a punky edge and short, catchy songs. The melody on this, as you'd expect from a Dando track, is absolutely beautiful, and the lyrics are really cute. Under two minutes as well, awesome little indie love song, shits on anything happening today.

5. The Streets ft Loudmouth - Backstreet Barz: The standout track from Skinner's nex mixtape 'Cyberspace and Reds', which he released as a prelude to his new album that drops in a couple of weeks. The beat is an awesome throwback to 'Original Pirate Material' stuff, and he is actually good for once on the mic as well, which is a rare thing nowadays. He gets blown away by Loudmouth though, who spits fire on the second verse including references to Jolean Lescott. If it's classified as grime not electro or UK Hip Hop, it's the best grime tune for a while.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order:

1. Alkaline Trio - Mr. Chainsaw

Absolutely love this band, and not one of their well known tracks.

2. Less Than Jake - All My Best Friends Are Metalheads

Just so damn catchy, remember hearing for the first time on THPS 4, then changing the playlist settings so it was the only song that played.

3. Chiddy Bang - The Opposite Of Adults

Not the biggest fan of rap etc. but another catchy song with great lyrics.

4. The Midnight Beast - Just Another Boyband

A pisstaking band with a pisstaking song on the current state of music, great video as well.

5. Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen

Possibly my favourite song of all time.

1: Innocent flow by the quotes

its a bit of a grower for me i like the part towards the end where the drums kick in its great.

2: History by the verve

Its the violins that make this sound great its the best song they ever did and shows ashcroft can write some great stuff when he can be arsed.

3: Higher ground by gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0YPMAFOLpk

First song i ever heard of guns it took a while to grow on me but gets played a lot now.

4: Stop crying your heart out oasis

Probably the best oasis song of all time imo (its either this or im outta time)

First time i heard it was after we got knocked out the world cup in 2002 by brazil

5: The boys are back in town gary moore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgkoY9d-rSo&feature=fvst

jumping at shadows used to be my favorite gary moore cover till i heard this now this gets played loads.

• Paid Members

Perfect fodder for a lazy chilled day sublime

Good call! I've recently added

by The Crocketts to my playlist, used to see the video a lot in the Alternative Nation days.

• Paid Members

Again, in no particular order:

1) Finger Eleven - Living In A Dream Been a fan of the band for years now but love their new album and with this song being used for the Royal Rumble, it's hard to not listen to it!

2) Our Lady Peace - Innocent One of my favourite bands and have always loved this song but watching scrubs earlier when this song was used has got me listening to it over and over again....again!

3)

Loved the first Trapt album, but wasn't impressed with there 2nd album but finally got round to downloading their new album and im hooked on them again, this song being a personal favourite already!

4)

Only known about this band for a few months but was shocked when it was used for one of the Slammy award video's but been a couple of months now and still can't stop listening to this track.

5)

Great band but finding this song rather addictive right now!

4. Indians by Anthrax-Been listening to the Wacken 2004 live version of this with John Bush singing a lot recently, his booming voice fits this metal epic perfectly.

I know its been covered in The Metal Thread, but I really do prefer Anthrax with John. Indians is fucking ace.

• Paid Members

Good thread. Excellent idea to have this without new tracks, eases of the pressure of keeping up. Far too often I end up being months behind with music.

1) Nero- Innocence

2) Alan Braxe & Fred Falke- Intro

3) Ferry Corsten- L.E.F.

4) Crystal Castles ft. Robert Smith- I'm Not In Love

5) Daft Punk- Alive 2007

3. Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her: I'm a massive fan of the PSB

Pet Shop Boys are great, I love their stuff. Probably because my Mum used to listen to them all the time when I was a kid. Their cover of Sterling Void's It's Alright is very good, other favs include Opportunities, Paninaro & Suburbia. I definitely preferred their 80s stuff.

• Paid Members
3. Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her: I'm a massive fan of the PSB

Pet Shop Boys are great, I love their stuff. Probably because my Mum used to listen to them all the time when I was a kid. Their cover of Sterling Void's It's Alright is very good, other favs include Opportunities, Paninaro & Suburbia. I definitely preferred their 80s stuff.

Their stuff post-80s is really underrated though. Sure, it would be hard to top their 80s stuff, but Very in particular is a fantastic album. Absolute legends though, either way.

Ed Sheeran - Little Lady (Ft Mikill Pane)

Love this song, Ed Sheeran is my favourate artist at the moment, and this song is perfect. If you like this check out his song with JME and his SB-TV version of You Need Me, fucking quality. Mikill Pane is another artist that could make it big, tight bars on this track.

Probably the best track from Kano on his jack Bauer mixtape. been playing it for months now.

Dizzee proving he's still got it. Shit hot stuff from C&S . At least worth a listen.

The Streets - Backseat Barz (Ft Loudmouth)

Good stuff from Skinner, but Loudmouth kills it. Loudmouths two free mixtapes are really worth a listen too. (1,2,3,4 & The Freestyle Sessions)

Skepta is really starting to impress me, his simple flow is great to bop your head to.

1) Paint The Town Dead - Fortune Favours: Welsh based band formed from the reminents of Antihero and Locus Of Control. Great live band and some cracking tunes such as this one which I have pretty much looped on my Ipod at the moment.

2) Long Walk (Acoustic) - Dive Dive: Easily one of the most under rated 'rock' bands the UK has ever produced, now starting to get a little recognition as 3/4 of Frank Turners backing band. Their newest album 'Potential' slipping quietly under the radar but I love this mellower rendition of a great song. Also here is a video for the classic

which is great introduction to the band.

3)

Criminally overlooked when it comes to 'quirky' pop music but Neil Hannon is one hell of a sogn writer too, this being a truely stand out track for those whose only previous experience of the band is 'National Express'. The video is the acoustic version but is just as good as the album version.

4)

I could have picked pretty much any track from Buffetlibre Rewind 2 from The Mocks 'Enola Gay' to Amplid remix of Johnny Hates Jazz 'Shattered Dreams' but I am going with this one as I tend to skip back and listen to it gain before moving on to the next song.

5)

Most people on this board know the mans talents and this song is just beautiful IMHO.

In no particular order:-

1) Do It Like A Dude by Jessie J - Humourous AND a great song to boot!

2) Bad Place Alone by Alice Cooper - I'm loving anything by Alice Cooper lately.

3) Where Do I Go From You by Clay Walker - A beautiful country song that I adore

4) Safety Dance by the cast of Glee - This is one of the only times I think you actually see the character of Artie dance (for those who don't know, the character is in a wheelchair)

5) Bad Girl by TNA (not the wrestling company obviously) - Just a great song that I'm loving atm

: Royal Rumble theme. Finger Eleven are a great little band, they also did "Paralyzer" and Kane's old theme "Slow Chemical". Funny thing about this song is that the lyrics are basically about a girl he's been pining for. Really suits a bunch of macho dudes fighting. :p

2. Witchcraft- Pendulum: Aussie alternative rock representing, great tune. I love how it really kicks in at the 45 second mark.

: Can't believe I never heard this Metallica song until recently, to me it seemed like a good anthem for the new year.

4. Monster- Michael Jackson ft. 50 Cent: The best thing 50 Cent has ever done, and it's amazing how well MJ suits 2011 pop/hip hop.

: The film clip is probably funnier than the song itself, with Akon's genuine beaming smile, the jumping high five, and the random Asian family. Just stupid fun.

• Moderators

1. Baths - Maximalist: This is from the album of this guy, http://www.myspace.com/bathsmusic which I highly recommend people listen to if they are into a electronic beats orientated genre. Attn: Chest Rockwell - I think you would like this guy.

2. Warpaint - Undertow: Such a simple riff, but weaved effectively along with the vocals and the change of pace is well done.

3. White Stripes - Black Math: stuck this on in a pub on a jukebox the other night, great song I haven't listened to in ages

4. Wooden Shjips - Start To Dreaming: an excellent example of "space rock". Great riff, great speed changes, and just awesome to explore the universe with.

5. Sonic Youth - Schizophrenia: I always have a Sonic Youth song/album playing

Archived