biggest draw in the uk?

machoman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it would be:

Wrestler: Rockstar Spud

Tag Team: LDRS

Announcer: Nobody (why would an announcer draw?)

Celebrity: Only someone that the whole country cares about but again i wouldnt go to a wrestling show just to see a celebrity.

I dont really think anyone is a draw on a national stage as such with the exception of guys like Doug Williams, PAC etc. Dont get me wrong though I know that in many of my towns I run there are internet fans and casual fans that want to see if a certain wrestler will be there before deciding to buy tickets or not.

Many younger kids or their parents email us or contact us on facebook asking if there favourite 'good guy' will be there. Guys like Lionheart, BT Gunn and Darkside are asked after on a regular basis. The most popular one though would have to be Bubblegum before he reduced his schedule. Every time I ran places like Greenock or Largs I would hear from a lot of parents as their kids wanted to know if he was on the show. He was also a firm favourite with our regular fans who follow us online.

Dont get me wrong the shows could go on without any of the above lads(although I would be gutted not to have them) as we have shown since Bubblegum took time away from PBW. I will say though that as a promoter I feel better about my chances of getting a crowd in with the above names on board when running venues up here.

Hope that made sense haha

Yeah, nobody is a draw for casual fans. That's a big part of the problem with trying to raise the status of UK Wrestling. Without proper and sustained real Press coverage, nobody will ever become a 'Star'.

I'm sure some of the better UK workers are a draw for the more hardcore Brit fans. I know I'll have a good long look at a card before deciding whether it's worth it or not.

Wow! Nothing beats a promotor essentially telling their talent that fans don't care whether they are there or not! And that regardless the show will go on either way! Always a morale booster!

Back to the topic! As most people have said nobody makes me want to attend a show though names like johnny storm, pac, and maybe spud are people I would hope were on a card but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Doug williams can't be classed as a uk star now but he was one of the few I have gone to a show to see. Funnily the quality of the undercard was so awful that he looked even more of a star as a result.

Problem I find is nobody is promoted as a star. Half of them go mingling with fans having a cig before they have even wrestled! Its self promotion. Nobody is treated like a wrestling god by promotors and that's one of several issues in the uk. Mr everyman is on the card. Even exceptional talents aren't protected.

I would say alex shane is the best self promotor in the uk and he is as close to a big name as the uk has (or had til the last few years)

• Paid Members
Wow! Nothing beats a promotor essentially telling their talent that fans don't care whether they are there or not! And that regardless the show will go on either way! Always a morale booster!

I don't think British wrestlers kid themselves for one minute that they're mega stars. That is no way a slight of their abilities, as some talent does rise and get a shot in the big leagues. Drew McIntyre, Sheamus, Wade Barrett etc.

As long as promoters like Ross are putting on decent shows, British wrestling will slowly but surely gain some credibility. But for every good promoter like Ross there are 10 or 15 bad promoters who are running shows in tiny social clubs with untrained wrestlers. You would think something like a council for British wrestling would be able to take care of this, but it seems no steps have been taken to combat that and instead pooling their resources into the development and promotion of the new FWA.

Seems you have selectively ignored a few sentences there champ:

(although I would be gutted not to have them) as we have shown since Bubblegum took time away from PBW. I will say though that as a promoter I feel better about my chances of getting a crowd in with the above names on board when running venues up here.

To me he

In british wrestling I think there is a trickle down effect.

Wrestlers put on good shows and get trusted by promoters, as they do they frequent venues more and know how to connect with the crowd so they are remembered.

From my first show I remember who robbie brookside was but there are plenty of people I wouldnt be able to name now.

Although I do personally try and go to any show that is a stones throw away, sometimes when money and time is tight, knowing some of the announced names helps. If a Jonny Storm, Joel Redman, Robbie Brookside is on then I know I get my monies worth. However some names who I didnt know till last year have now become draws as I like watching them Kris Kay, Karl Atlas and Jace the Ace come to mind. So for me the biggest draw is a solid rostor that can be seen regularly and the interaction becomes more familiar and enjoyable.

Unless I know who someone is before I see them wrestle I find along with a lot of the bournemouth crowd I am very apathetic till they have proved themselves

Flatliner perhaps but probably not. Him and LittleLegs probably the best known wrestlers to the average BritWres fan.

Karl Kramer and Phil Powers probably the closest to drawing heels perhaps.

Are UK Pitballs still active? Definitely top tag team.

Whoever is drawing on their 'star-power' won't be drawing as much as the words "American Wrestling".

Wrestling is very rarely on UK TV, thus nobody's positioned in a place where they can become a star. The closest we've had in recent years would be spud, andy simmons and strangely billi frim big brother.

As good wrestlers that there are in the UK, promotions over shaddow the wrestlers here.

Archived