KIMBO SLICE IS NOW A WRESTLER!

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
I think WWE missed the boat with Bob Sapp back in the day he had a shot load of personality and a great look

I don't think "missed the boat" is fair really - I agree that he could have been great in WWE, don't get me wrong. But they would have had to pay him an INSANE amount of money to lure him away from Japan. Sapp was a full-blown mainstream star in Japan, making massive money not just from fighting and wrestling but from loads of mainstream media projects, commercials etc. To make him give up all that to start over again in the United States where he was basically unknown would have taken the kind of contract offer that only the very top names ever get - and they weren't going to offer that to a guy who was an unproven commodity in the West. He was a perfect fit for WWE in many ways, but in many others it didn't make sense as a business move for either party, which is why it never happened.

I can't imagine WWE blinking an eye over Kimbo Slice, but I reckon TNA will throw an offer his way if he makes a serious go of pro-wrestling. They're marks for any sort of outside celebrity status, and being on the same network as the Ultimate Fighter you would assume a large degree of cross brand awareness, so a decent chunk of TNA's audience are probably aware of him.

Im going to save my contribution to this thread with this little beauty...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think WWE missed the boat with Bob Sapp back in the day he had a shot load of personality and a great look

I don't think "missed the boat" is fair really - I agree that he could have been great in WWE, don't get me wrong. But they would have had to pay him an INSANE amount of money to lure him away from Japan. Sapp was a full-blown mainstream star in Japan, making massive money not just from fighting and wrestling but from loads of mainstream media projects, commercials etc. To make him give up all that to start over again in the United States where he was basically unknown would have taken the kind of contract offer that only the very top names ever get - and they weren't going to offer that to a guy who was an unproven commodity in the West. He was a perfect fit for WWE in many ways, but in many others it didn't make sense as a business move for either party, which is why it never happened.

I can't imagine WWE blinking an eye over Kimbo Slice, but I reckon TNA will throw an offer his way if he makes a serious go of pro-wrestling. They're marks for any sort of outside celebrity status, and being on the same network as the Ultimate Fighter you would assume a large degree of cross brand awareness, so a decent chunk of TNA's audience are probably aware of him.

Yeah I guess missed the boat is the wrong term

Sapp was huge in Japan in 2001 to around 2006 but it waned by around that time, Sapp on the bill is nothing special on new years eve in Japan anymore thats why he takes paydays kickboxing in Europe, I remember WWE in 2006 tried to give the Lashley push to Sapp but K1 stuck there beaks in and then after the Beniot tragedy Sapp lost interest

It was more circumstance but I think Sapp would have made a better main eventer than Lashley in 2006, imingine if he took Lashley push I think with his chrasmia he would have got over quick and with the angle with Trump he could have been a huge star

Sapp was huge in Japan in 2001 to around 2006 but it waned by around that time, Sapp on the bill is nothing special on new years eve in Japan anymore thats why he takes paydays kickboxing in Europe, I remember WWE in 2006 tried to give the Lashley push to Sapp but K1 stuck there beaks in and then after the Beniot tragedy Sapp lost interest

It was more circumstance but I think Sapp would have made a better main eventer than Lashley in 2006, imingine if he took Lashley push I think with his chrasmia he would have got over quick and with the angle with Trump he could have been a huge star

It wasn't just the money though. Sapp wasn't too crazy about the full-time WWE schedule either and the fact that WWE control your outside projects. So those two things were a factor as well. Maybe not the main factor but a factor nonetheless.

In reality Sapp was/is better suited for TNA where in theory he can get everything he wants - a fat contract that requires him to work only a handful of dates a month and the freedom to control his outside projects (be it MMA, K1, movies, commercials, etc.). In fact, there were discussions between Sapp and TNA around 2007 but TNA's offer was nowhere near what Sapp was demanding so that didn't go anywhere and that's pretty much when the "Bob Sapp could enter US wrestling" talk kind of ended.

It wasn't just the money though. Sapp wasn't too crazy about the full-time WWE schedule either and the fact that WWE control your outside projects. So those two things were a factor as well. Maybe not the main factor but a factor nonetheless.

In reality Sapp was/is better suited for TNA where in theory he can get everything he wants - a fat contract that requires him to work only a handful of dates a month and the freedom to control his outside projects (be it MMA, K1, movies, commercials, etc.). In fact, there were discussions between Sapp and TNA around 2007 but TNA's offer was nowhere near what Sapp was demanding so that didn't go anywhere and that's pretty much when the "Bob Sapp could enter US wrestling" talk kind of ended.

Funnily enough Sapp might have been better of taking that TNA deal, things have really dried up for him in Japan, Japanese culture is very fickle and cynical, once the MMA boom ended Sapp wasnt the mega star he once was

Also agreed that the WWE schedule contributed but I do remember it was K1 that stopped WWE in its tracks as it was meant to be Sapp winning the ECW belt at December to Dismember, Sapp was later quoted as saying that he was glad he didnt work with Beniot after the Beniot slayings

nodq.com

- Former UFC fighter Kimbo Slice (aka Kevin Ferguson) has been touted as a potential guest star for WrestleMania 27, with the idea that he would be a special enforcer referee in a match. It's not known whether conversations have taken place between Kimbo and WWE, but his name has come up in discussions.

I am an unashamed Kimbo Slice mark (think he should have got the role in A-Team as well). Just love the guy. He looks badass, and he's no thrills, he just goes int o try and take your head off.

I think Slice will do well in wrestling, he has the 'name', look, and reputation. he'll also appeal to the casual fan as well.

he reminds me in a way of what Tank Abbott was in the 1990's. a popular brawler who has the right appeal to earn money and get notice, without actually being an elite fighter.

• Moderators
I am an unashamed Kimbo Slice mark (think he should have got the role in A-Team as well). Just love the guy. He looks badass, and he's no thrills, he just goes int o try and take your head off.

I think Slice will do well in wrestling, he has the 'name', look, and reputation. he'll also appeal to the casual fan as well.

he reminds me in a way of what Tank Abbott was in the 1990's. a popular brawler who has the right appeal to earn money and get notice, without actually being an elite fighter.

:laugh: I think you mean no frills...

Anyway. I agree that he's got the look and probably enough personality that wrestling is a good option for him.

As far as actual fighting goes though.. He's not just 'not an elite fighter', he's a very bad fighter. He gets blown up instantly and can't really take his lumps as well as having absolutely no technique. If he could just stand and bang for a couple rounds that'd be enough for him to get by. But he can't. And the competition is a lot tougher than it was back in Tank Abbot's day.

I'm surprised UFC gave up on Kimbo so quickly. He lost to Mitrione in his main card debut, and boom, gone. Did they just bring him in to destroy his aura, so to speak?

The aura built for him on the net had long gone before UFC, in EliteXC Seth Petruzelli destroyed Kimbo in 14 seconds. Petruzelli also claimed after the fight that the promoters offered him more money not to use certain fighting techniques (such as takedowns) on slice.

After this he joined UFC and was dropped by Roy Nelson and Mitrione - I really don't get where all this Kimbo love has come from - hes crap!

Archived